clearance

How much longer (if any) will it take to clear customs at the docks?

Piece of string…
Lots of opinions and “what ifs” and “obviouslys” and equal numbers of “of courses” and “of course nots”.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Optimum:

Depends what you’re trying to hide. :smiley:

Based on my 44 calls on bank holiday monday, two days . Maybe more. :unamused:

If wagons are registered in an EU nation will they just be waved through?

Optimum:
If wagons are registered in an EU nation will they just be waved through?

Will - are we talking sometime in the future or as of now? On the whole as long as nothing is iffy with the truck, most you can expect is an hour’s delay. Some loads in the EU still have customs paperwork to clear and export licenses etc etc etc.

Optimum:

Well it never used to be a problem prior to the EU freedom of movement coming into being. All the claims of 15 mile queues are just utter rubbish.

Also we already have lots of non-EU freight going into and out of the UK ports all the time, in fact the majority of export freight is non-EU and 40% of imports are non-EU.

I have a video bookmarked on Youtube called “A life of pheasants” from 1969 which documents international road freight and a load going from the UK to Italy and it took the same time to do the journey in 1969 as it does today.

youtube.com/watch?v=llQUrH8eEHM

Customs aren’t cleared ‘at the docks’ they are only cleared when the customer takes delivery and pays the relevant duty.Which is why we’ve got next day delivery from the US and most other parts of the world by air freight and it’s also why it doesn’t take days to clear every new German car import to Denmark bearing in mind the 100% tax payable on the import within the so called ‘single market’.Just as US state borders aren’t clogged by queueing trucks having to sort out differing state tax rates payable. :unamused:

Conor:

Optimum:

Well it never used to be a problem prior to the EU freedom of movement coming into being. All the claims of 15 mile queues are just utter rubbish.

Also we already have lots of non-EU freight going into and out of the UK ports all the time, in fact the majority of export freight is non-EU and 40% of imports are non-EU.

I have a video bookmarked on Youtube called “A life of pheasants” from 1969 which documents international road freight and a load going from the UK to Italy and it took the same time to do the journey in 1969 as it does today.

Saying it’ll be ok because it was in 1969 is somewhat ridiculous.

I’ve a feeling you haven’t done much European work. It really isn’t 1969 anymore, back then a tiny amount of freight was accompanied, now even the slightest delays in Dover, Folkstone or Calais can and do cause massive queues. Will Brexit cause mayhem in Kent? Maybe, maybe not but the fact we are now months away from leaving Europe and absolutely NOTHING has been finalised so the industry can plan ahead is reckless and insane, all thanks to this utterly useless government

switchlogic:

Conor:

Optimum:

I’ve a feeling you haven’t done much European work. It really isn’t 1969 anymore, back then a tiny amount of freight was accompanied, now even the slightest delays in Dover, Folkstone or Calais can and do cause massive queues. Will Brexit cause mayhem in Kent? Maybe, maybe not but the fact we are now months away from leaving Europe and absolutely NOTHING has been finalised so the industry can plan ahead is reckless and insane, all thanks to this utterly useless government

Same time to do the trip then as now Conor suggests. Norfolk to Milan in three days, double manned.
I reckon it was a day and a half twenty years back, from the channel ports, single manned.
So Luke how many ‘days’ now?

Just saying that it used to be ok back in the 1990s so it will be ok now is incredibly short sighted

Thing have changed

Back then, UK customs were in Dover and French in Calais, but in 2003 they swapped them around.

Back then there wasn’t any migrant camps and hundreds of them trying to hide on trailers

I assume that the number of vehicles going through has increased massively as well.

Back in the 90s I remember coming over on a ferry once. Passports were not checked at all In France, then when we got to England, everyone just wandered past a single UK officer and if you were holding up a maroon passport of any kind, you walked straight through. I didn’t even have to show him the page with my photo on it!!!

Are we going back to that too?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Franglais:

switchlogic:

Conor:

Optimum:

Same time to do the trip then as now Conor suggests. Norfolk to Milan in three days, double manned.
I reckon it was a day and a half twenty years back, from the channel ports, single manned.
So Luke how many ‘days’ now?

With a good run double manned you could possibly do it in one shift, otherwise one and a bit days. On your own 2 10 hour drives could get you there with no major hold ups

As a point of interest, why is one of the loudest voices in the cross channel trade [West Yorkshire based] buying new kit like its going out of fashion, if the end of the world is nigh ?

New trailers, new trucks, and I wont mention what the his+hers fleet consists of :wink:

Im holding off until I know exactly where this is all going, and Im nowhere near their size :open_mouth:

Just say`in like

Stanley Mitchell:
As a point of interest, why is one of the loudest voices in the cross channel trade [West Yorkshire based] buying new kit like its going out of fashion, if the end of the world is nigh ?

New trailers, new trucks, and I wont mention what the his+hers fleet consists of :wink:

Im holding off until I know exactly where this is all going, and Im nowhere near their size :open_mouth:

Just say`in like

If you believe that they know something the rest of us don’t I suggest you read reports of his meeting with Chris Grayling.

del trotter:

Stanley Mitchell:

Just say`in like

If you believe that they know something the rest of us don’t I suggest you read reports of his meeting with Chris Grayling.

So why would anybody be buying seriously spec`d kit if there is any doubt ?

On our local news last night, they had a piece on Horiba Mira and their attempt to build a world leading test track on the site of the “battle of Bosworth” IIRC…the sales pitch from Horiba, is that it would create 1800 jobs, and attract ALL the worlds vehicle manufactures to their site…no mention of Armageddon ?..

Stanley Mitchell:

del trotter:

Stanley Mitchell:

Just say`in like

So why would anybody be buying seriously spec`d kit if there is any doubt ?

On our local news last night, they had a piece on Horiba Mira and their attempt to build a world leading test track on the site of the “battle of Bosworth” IIRC…the sales pitch from Horiba, is that it would create 1800 jobs, and attract ALL the worlds vehicle manufactures to their site…no mention of Armageddon ?..

Bit of a misnomer that as they are all already there…

its still not uncommon for your experience of french customs ( and others ) to be a nodding head,a pair of feet on a desk,a hand waving you on,or an empty booth.
i wouldnt think itl be any different next year unless the french goverment want to make sure the uk ( english) trucks get as much grief as possible and force the customs to actually do their job for a while.
hopefully a flash in the pan,then back to being lazy bone idle gits as normal.
mabey itl be a step backwards to the good old days and a wee discrete bung makes the difference to your transit time. :wink:

switchlogic:
I’ve a feeling you haven’t done much European work. It really isn’t 1969 anymore, back then a tiny amount of freight was accompanied, now even the slightest delays in Dover, Folkstone or Calais can and do cause massive queues.

And those delays have absolutely nothing to do with customs clearances because they’re down to wind so boxes can’t be lifted or ferries sale or down to strikes in French ports or mechanical failure/fire etc in the Eurotunnel so they’d occur regardless.

Stanley Mitchell:

Just say`in like

A lot of the work that this Co are doing now is NOT general Haulage … they have got into the Exhibition job and I have heard they now want all the Rock N Roll work as well.

Conor:

switchlogic:
I’ve a feeling you haven’t done much European work. It really isn’t 1969 anymore, back then a tiny amount of freight was accompanied, now even the slightest delays in Dover, Folkstone or Calais can and do cause massive queues.

And those delays have absolutely nothing to do with customs clearances because they’re down to wind so boxes can’t be lifted or ferries sale or down to strikes in French ports or mechanical failure/fire etc in the Eurotunnel so they’d occur regardless.

You’ve completely missed the point. The point being that if everyone has to stop to clear customs it will indeed cause huge delays