Workplace drink and drug testing

Rjan:
Always remember one random drug test at a particular firm.

One of my colleagues who was a pound-shop Maggie Thatcher and who I didn’t like much (and who didn’t like me), and who had overheard my liberal attitudes to drugs, was waiting with baited breath for my result, and expressed visible surprise on her face when I didn’t fail (I’ve never been a drug user).

I’d pointed out on previous occasions that many drugs, in moderation, improve attention and work performance - amphetamine was issued to soldiers once upon a time.

Meanwhile, another colleague spent all morning sweating about the issue, and could barely squeeze a ■■■■ out when it came to it. Fortunately for him he passed too. :laughing:

But the crazy company (which was already suffering financially) sent half it’s staff down the road following the results, and a number of good managers took a tumble as well because they were accused of turning a blind eye to it (the reality was they couldn’t get any warehouse staff that didn’t indulge at the weekends). Caused utter operational chaos and a haemorrhage of cash. I said afterwards, I don’t think they’ll want to do any tests again for a while.

They still use amphetamines, my lad has adhd and was prescribed Ritalin! He was a bloody nightmare! Hyperactive plus speed is not a good combination. Cocaine is still to this day used as a dental anaesthetic, when lidocaine and novacaine fail. Heroin is still used to this day as a painkiller, usually in palliative care but sometimes used for other types of pain. Cannabis can be prescribed for pain conditions, generally ms.

The point is that there are medical uses for most drugs, and that they could be found in people’s systems for legitimate reasons.

The issue is abuse. That is where the problem lies. If I were tested, I take codeine and buprenorphine for my fibromyalgia, consequently I would test positive. I carry a copy of my repeat prescription in my wallet at all times now. But I don’t abuse them, I take them the way that the doctor told me to.