Fly By Nite

Just out of curiosity … who were this lot doing the tour for Fri night / Sat morning ?
I was going up A66 /M6 on Sat morning and lost count of how many FBN trucks were heading South + at least 3 tour coaches … all the trucks had a note in the windscreen with a load No.
Must have been a big show … just wondered who’s it was ?

They’re based near Redditch. Always seem to have a take of work.

Theyre running about 3 tours atm so could have been anyone. They usually have 30-40 trucks going on each one.

Was talking to one of their drivers last week. Think he said they had a little mix and jp cooper tour coming up. Although i may have got mixed up with another driver i was chatting to on the same day

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

When I went to see Queen at the Amsterdam Ziggodome last week, I counted about eleven FBN trucks parked up, plus six Beat the Street tour busses. They were heading to Lithuania next, before coming back through Scandanavia and then starting the UK tour.

It was The Killers tour en route from Belfast to Leeds.

chainmailguy:
Theyre running about 3 tours atm so could have been anyone. They usually have 30-40 trucks going on each one.

Was talking to one of their drivers last week. Think he said they had a little mix and jp cooper tour coming up. Although i may have got mixed up with another driver i was chatting to on the same day

I was a roady for many years, not many venues hold 30-40 trucks worth of equipment! Usually 1-3. 30-40 is things like festivals or rarely stadium tours.

TommyTanker:

chainmailguy:

I was a roady for many years, not many venues hold 30-40 trucks worth of equipment! Usually 1-3. 30-40 is things like festivals or rarely stadium tours.

How long does it take to pack down all the stage and lights, load, and be on the road? I was watching the roadies for a few minutes in Amsterdam after Queen came off and it was all like a well oiled machine. Every roadie seemed to know exactly what to do.

Does each truck come from the parking area in a particular order?

citycat:

TommyTanker:

chainmailguy:

How long does it take to pack down all the stage and lights, load, and be on the road? I was watching the roadies for a few minutes in Amsterdam after Queen came off and it was all like a well oiled machine. Every roadie seemed to know exactly what to do.

Normally 3-4 hours for production. For bigger venues which require a stage to be built, there will be two or even three sets of staging on the tour, leapfrogging each other so that as one gig is live, the next stage is being built and the last one is being pulled down.

citycat:

TommyTanker:

chainmailguy:

They are usually split into different equipment trucks, a few will be lights, some will be the sound stuff, some will be set, some will be power etcetc. festivals take weeks (the big ones). I was stage crew so didn’t really get involved with stage building or putting tents up etc. Backline was the way to go, last in, first out. It is like a well oiled machine, but effectivly, stage crew are just laborours ■■■■■■■ and lumping, great crack though :wink:

So, do the drivers get involved at all or do they just drive? In the old days, the band bus drivers could make a few quid extra manning a spotlight, but I guess health and safety and automation has put paid to all that stuff.

citycat:
So, do the drivers get involved at all or do they just drive? In the old days, the band bus drivers could make a few quid extra manning a spotlight, but I guess health and safety and automation has put paid to all that stuff.

No, my mate is is on The Killers tour and he does a spotlight most nights.

I get on the back and help load and unload. Theres precious little excersise availiable as a tramper so handball in the back is enjoyable. Bar on saturday when i broke my finger :confused:

They were in Leeds Sunday night , I saw a few trucks unloading at the arena

The driver mostly do ■■■ all, might do spots or something to do with set changes for a bit of extra money.

A member on here called ‘shade’ works for Fly By Nite and when I asked him about any extra work on top of driving e.g Spots he said:

shade:
No , thats incorrect . We are truck drivers .

mrginge:
A member on here called ‘shade’ works for Fly By Nite and when I asked him about any extra work on top of driving e.g Spots he said:

shade:

Only for the brown nosers for that extra beer money.

Flybynite. Sounds about right.

mrginge:

shade:

Also one driver i met at a festival said “if we help out and hurt ourselves… who drives the truck back?”

Their logo on the side of the trailer , looks like it was painted on by a dyslexic five year old.
It looks naff.
Brian Yeardley concert trucks look stunning.

andy187:

mrginge:

shade:

Also one driver i met at a festival said “if we help out and hurt ourselves… who drives the truck back?”

When I have run stuff into shows it’s always crew that unloads or loads , they just check that you are happy with what they are doing as the driver is ultimately responsible.
I always had a tail lift which was offered to help with heavy units at venues without docks or forks .
We ran only 7.5t or 18t for the extras , replacement equipment or merchandise.
Usually very good communication with heads of crews and they kept you informed of changes and the order of delivery .
Bumping into familiar faces all over the UK and Europe was always good and most places looked after the truckies and crews as they did work hard to make things work .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Did a bit of tour work myself with the RSC…the last one was a 6 week european…anyway only 2 artics on this one, and first drop was Paris, all parking was arranged, and the trucks would sit there for a week, so being as i had as a second truck with a newbie driver, i said, thats it lets go home…as i explained to him that living in the truck at the venue would be a lot more expensive, and our expenses would offset the travelling costs…so anyway, this knobhead, decides once back in the uk, to phone our office to ask if there was any spare work, while he was off…all hell broke loose…ha ha…as you can imagine, and we immediately had to get back out there a bit lively…even though i had a phone number for the lead crewman, and he had mine…oops…but all worked out ok, until en route to Berlin, knobhead used far too many pages from the ATA carnet, and had to re-apply via the office for a replacement, that cost the company dear, but was re-imbursed once the real carnet was produced and discharged …some drivers eh !