Scania Clutch

Been a while since I drove a Scania, but anyway I am now and the clutch is horrendous, my question is this. The one I am driving has a split box which is quite nice once rolling but the clutch has to be virtually fully out before it kicks into motion. Are they all like this? On hills it is terrible as the truck rolls back slightly before engaging, I have tried using the hand brake to hold it but it is so easy to stall like this. Is there a trick anyone knows or am I missing something? I await with baited breath and grit teeth.

:smiley: Didn’t know scarn-ya did bags for laydees, does it have the angry chicken motive on.

biggriffin:
:smiley: Didn’t know scarn-ya did bags for laydees, does it have the angry chicken motive on.

Great help, I will check.

UKtramp:

biggriffin:

Great help, I will check.

Thank you, can you see if its available in Burberry, to match me hat,

Sounds like the clutch is near the end of its life, if you can, try this on a steep hill whilst moving, knock it up a gear more than you would normally use to make the engine lug & see if it starts slipping.

dave docwra:
Sounds like the clutch is near the end of its life, if you can, try this on a steep hill whilst moving, knock it up a gear more than you would normally use to make the engine lug & see if it starts slipping.

Must admit that was my thought, I actually struggled to move it at first, it’s only a few years old, I asked one of the mechanics and he said it is a safety feature. I have never come across it before, there is nothing on the accelerator until the clutch pedal is right out. Great when your going but I was climbing some steep hills around Barnsley in traffic and it was a nightmare to get used to. That many bloody switches on the dash board I wondered if there was a hill assist button or something. Not sure about a safety feature it is down right dangerous.

If it is a safety feature then either the mechanism is out of adjustment or the clutch is ready for replacement.
You might consider “slightly” abusing the clutch to accelerate the need for replacement. :bulb: :wink:

axletramp:
If it is a safety feature then either the mechanism is out of adjustment or the clutch is ready for replacement.
You might consider “slightly” abusing the clutch to accelerate the need for replacement. :bulb: :wink:

Cant agree more M8, it is horrendous to drive, but the mechanic insisted its how it should be, I am no clutch expert but it does not feel right to me. I have driven plenty of split boxes with no problems but not experienced enough on Scania to judge or make a comparison.

If it’s a proper manual I’d say he was talking ■■■■■■■■.
I’ve driven tons of Scanias and if the clutch doesn’t bite 'til the pedal is right up it’s ■■■■■■■
If it’s the three pedal auto I have little experience but would not expect that to be any different.

axletramp:
If it’s a proper manual I’d say he was talking ■■■■■■■■.
I’ve driven tons of Scanias and if the clutch doesn’t bite 'til the pedal is right up it’s [zb].
If it’s the three pedal auto I have little experience but would not expect that to be any different.

Thanks for this, I was hoping that this was the case as I have never experienced anything like it. It is a real split box no auto. I thought I was losing my touch as I am used to driving auto nowadays. But this is going back in the morning as I cannot stand it, sort of got used to it after a 9 hr drive but was dreading the rest of the week. I was hoping a Scania expert would be on here to compare for me.

may be the self adjusting mechanism has jammed ?

The clutch shouldn’t bite right at the top of the pedal, but it won’t rev until the clutch is fully out, its to stop you over revving when you set off and prolong clutch life. It’s only on the newer ones, both manual and opti cruise. If it is definitely only biting at the top of the pedal I’d say there was something wrong but maybe it just feels strange because it won’t rev until the pedal is out. I hated it when I first got in a newer one, but don’t even notice it now

Bluey Circles:

Something I’ve done with cars in the past might be worth a try if this is the issue…

When you’re sat stationary (engine off) push the clutch to the floor but do it so your toe is barely on the front edge of the pedal, then quickly flick your foot off the edge of the pedal so that the pedal shoots up fast, like I say in the past with cars that sometimes lets the auto adjuster (which was a bit like a quarter of a cog) jump back to it’s adjusted position if it was stuck/slightly ceased before.

Be very aware that you could potentially skin your shin if you get it wrong though, just bear that in mind when you try it so as to avoid injury :laughing:

Worst that can happen you break the clutch completely so it then gets sorted out once and for all, either that or you go home with an industrial injury to your shin and pretend you’re an agency driver when walking/hobbling around for a few days.

Night-and-day:
The clutch shouldn’t bite right at the top of the pedal, but it won’t rev until the clutch is fully out, its to stop you over revving when you set off and prolong clutch life. It’s only on the newer ones, both manual and opti cruise. If it is definitely only biting at the top of the pedal I’d say there was something wrong but maybe it just feels strange because it won’t rev until the pedal is out. I hated it when I first got in a newer one, but don’t even notice it now

Definitely it is at the top of the pedal, problem on a hill which today I was on many, it was actually worrying as when you release the brake there is no bite or revs til the last second of releasing the clutch, at this point you are rolling backwards. Any vehicle tight up to you is vulnerable to being hit. I tried to get a bite point but you cant as there is no revs until the clutch is right out. I tried the brake on until I released the clutch which then stalls the engine. I was having to crawl up hills slower than normal leaving a gap in front of me so I didn’t have to stop. I am turning back in the morning before I have an accident.

Reef:

Bluey Circles:

Something I’ve done with cars in the past might be worth a try if this is the issue…

When you’re sat stationary (engine off) push the clutch to the floor but do it so your toe is barely on the front edge of the pedal, then quickly flick your foot off the edge of the pedal so that the pedal shoots up fast, like I say in the past with cars that sometimes lets the auto adjuster (which was a bit like a quarter of a cog) jump back to it’s adjusted position if it was stuck/slightly ceased before.

Be very aware that you could potentially skin your shin if you get it wrong though, just bear that in mind when you try it so as to avoid injury :laughing:

Worst that can happen you break the clutch completely so it then gets sorted out once and for all, either that or you go home with an industrial injury to your shin and pretend you’re an agency driver when walking/hobbling around for a few days.

Just txt my gaffer to say I am calling it a day and coming home in the morning, reply was don’t you dare… Oh I dare.!!

Reef:

Bluey Circles:

I think that trick worked with cable clutches, but this will be a hydraulic and i’n not too sure how the adjusting mech works.

I suppose to avoid injury to the shin you could always press it down with a stick, but dangers lie there too, wouldn’t be pretty if the stick accidently shot back up your left nostril :open_mouth:

UKtramp:

dave docwra:

Must admit that was my thought, I actually struggled to move it at first, it’s only a few years old, I asked one of the mechanics and he said it is a safety feature. I have never come across it before, there is nothing on the accelerator until the clutch pedal is right out. Great when your going but I was climbing some steep hills around Barnsley in traffic and it was a nightmare to get used to. That many bloody switches on the dash board I wondered if there was a hill assist button or something. Not sure about a safety feature it is down right dangerous.

Scania’s have a micro switch on top of the clutch pedal to save clutch wear, in your post above you say " there is nothing on the accelerator until clutch pedal is right out" IMO this is working correctly.

UKtramp:
Been a while since I drove a Scania, but anyway I am now and the clutch is horrendous, my question is this. The one I am driving has a split box which is quite nice once rolling but the clutch has to be virtually fully out before it kicks into motion. Are they all like this? On hills it is terrible as the truck rolls back slightly before engaging, I have tried using the hand brake to hold it but it is so easy to stall like this. Is there a trick anyone knows or am I missing something? I await with baited breath and grit teeth.

It take it you’ve never driven a British lorry then ?

Bluey Circles:
I think that trick worked with cable clutches, but this will be a hydraulic and i’n not too sure how the adjusting mech works.

Yeah I’m not sure either tbh, like I said I’ve only ever done it in a (older) car, I’ve driven plenty of trucks with a clutch (most of them in fact) but thankfully I’ve always worked for firms that fix things if somethings not quite right too :wink:

Bluey Circles:
I suppose to avoid injury to the shin you could always press it down with a stick, but dangers lie there too, wouldn’t be pretty if the stick accidently shot back up your left nostril :open_mouth:

Isn’t that called a dozyoscopy? :smiley:

There will be no issue with the clutch.Scania is fitted with a clutch saver and that why you get so little revs pull away normal and it will be fine.Or have got that use to an autobox.