Scania Clutch

Colin_scottish:
There will be no issue with the clutch.Scania is fitted with a clutch saver and that why you get so little revs pull away normal and it will be fine.Or have got that use to an autobox.

I am most certainly more used to using an auto box now. I don’t mind a split gearbox in the least but I certainly wasn’t ready for this. I find it horrible and more difficult than a standard clutch.

UKtramp:

Colin_scottish:
There will be no issue with the clutch.Scania is fitted with a clutch saver and that why you get so little revs pull away normal and it will be fine.Or have got that use to an autobox.

I am most certainly more used to using an auto box now. I don’t mind a split gearbox in the least but I certainly wasn’t ready for this. I find it horrible and more difficult than a standard clutch.

There just a pain but once use to them you can do some really slow and tight turns.

Colin_scottish:

UKtramp:

Colin_scottish:

There just a pain but once use to them you can do some really slow and tight turns.

On the flat I admit I like it for your reasons of slow and tight turns, my problem is on the hills. I just can;t get on with it.

pete smith:

UKtramp:

dave docwra:
Sounds like the clutch is near the end of its life, if you can, try this on a steep hill whilst moving, knock it up a gear more than you would normally use to make the engine lug & see if it starts slipping.

Must admit that was my thought, I actually struggled to move it at first, it’s only a few years old, I asked one of the mechanics and he said it is a safety feature. I have never come across it before, there is nothing on the accelerator until the clutch pedal is right out. Great when your going but I was climbing some steep hills around Barnsley in traffic and it was a nightmare to get used to. That many bloody switches on the dash board I wondered if there was a hill assist button or something. Not sure about a safety feature it is down right dangerous.

Scania’s have a micro switch on top of the clutch pedal to save clutch wear, in your post above you say " there is nothing on the accelerator until clutch pedal is right out" IMO this is working correctly.

Exactly. You can’t rev the grannies off it until the clutch pedal is up. Hill starts are a balancing act between clutch and the handbrake delay. It takes some getting used to.

Nobby_Clarke:
Exactly. You can’t rev the grannies off it until the clutch pedal is up. Hill starts are a balancing act between clutch and the handbrake delay. It takes some getting used to.

Well after a fair amount of stalling and rolling backwards today again, just about mastered it, still hate it though. Get me my Renault back.

I’m in a manual scania this week , took me about a hour to get back into it , but now it’s like I’ve drove it for years , not noticed anything odd with clutch to be honest , tag is taking a bit longer to get into , feels Skittish to me but I do like how tight it will turn ,
I only got it as another agency lad had only driven autos so didn’t want it , so we swapped he had the auto I was down for and I took the manual

So glad I’ve read this post! I just started my first ever job with an agency yesterday in a 26t Scania, and have been battling with hill starts for all the reasons listed above. Before I took it out someone muttered something about ‘clutch protection’ but nothing about the handbrake delay. Throw in the ‘3 minute engine cutout’ to the mix and it’s made for some thoroughly exciting hill starts for me! (not!)

As I have no experience of anything except a 12t Eurocargo I thought this was just me being an inexperienced prat so it’s kind of reassuring that I’m not the only one having these tricky moments!

I’ve sort of sussed out how to get over it but it’s taking me some concentration and as the OP said I’m mostly approaching everything trying to avoid actually bringing the thing to a complete halt!

UKtramp:
Been a while since I drove a Scania, but anyway I am now and the clutch is horrendous, my question is this. The one I am driving has a split box which is quite nice once rolling but the clutch has to be virtually fully out before it kicks into motion. Are they all like this? On hills it is terrible as the truck rolls back slightly before engaging, I have tried using the hand brake to hold it but it is so easy to stall like this. Is there a trick anyone knows or am I missing something? I await with baited breath and grit teeth.

The symptoms you describe are almost certainly caused by the very wonderful Scania “clutch saver”. My 480 had it until I got Scania to delete it (under protest). It’s a good enough idea, and it will save the clutch from premature wear caused by abuse by some of the rockets who pilot lorries today. However, after nearly being taken out on junctions/ roundabouts on a number of occasions when the expected response didn’t materialise, they programmed it out for me. I told them I didn’t have enough life left at my age to be living so dangerously!!

As already said, I am used to manual boxes and usually get used to them after half hour of going through the box, as you say, this is dangerous on roundabouts junctions etc. Look a right prat when kangarooing through a roundabout and stalling every hill. My level of concentration is more on the clutch than the road, its dangerous in my opinion. I hope my firm gets it taken off as I will refuse to drive it again after this week. Certainly not a one for the timid.

Indigo:
So glad I’ve read this post! I just started my first ever job with an agency yesterday in a 26t Scania, and have been battling with hill starts for all the reasons listed above. Before I took it out someone muttered something about ‘clutch protection’ but nothing about the handbrake delay. Throw in the ‘3 minute engine cutout’ to the mix and it’s made for some thoroughly exciting hill starts for me! (not!)

As I have no experience of anything except a 12t Eurocargo I thought this was just me being an inexperienced prat so it’s kind of reassuring that I’m not the only one having these tricky moments!

I’ve sort of sussed out how to get over it but it’s taking me some concentration and as the OP said I’m mostly approaching everything trying to avoid actually bringing the thing to a complete halt!

Nope its not just you M8, it is terrible of Scania to inflict this ridiculous clutch saver on us like this. I for one hate it. Love the truck and all its bells and whistles but not this feature.

dozy:
I’m in a manual scania this week , took me about a hour to get back into it.} unquote

You must have a bad back if it took you that long, get it seen to ! :slight_smile:

Indigo:

That’s how your supposed to do it. :wink:

TiredAndEmotional:

Indigo:

That’s how your supposed to do it. :wink:

Haha I’m usually such a well spoken young lady, but this week I’ve had my swear button turned on almost permanently because of this damnable clutch! :smiley:

You can disable that clutch saver by holding a button down (cant remember what one it is, look in the manual) for 30 seconds and then you can drive it without fear of killing yourself or someone else.
It only lasts until you switch the engine off though, then it comes back on.

I sure Scania employed knowledgeable consultants, who know much more about gearboxes than us, who will explain that we are wrong, and that it is your lack of skill that is the problem, not the clutch.