Information please

The company i am with have P280 Scania’s with Opti Cruise. I am a bit nervous and don’t know what a truck is like with an auto gearbox, and i will get my chance to drive one on Monday after a week of CPC training, which i didn’t pay for :smiley:

Anyone got any tips. The vehicle will be 26 tonne in weight on a daily basis and it is a rigid vehicle.

Sorry for the daft post but my nerves are kicking in.

1. Turn on engine

2. On right hand steering stalk twist to D

3. If fitted, depress clutch

4. Do the whole biting point thing and go

5. Remember to depress clutch when stopping.

In short, it’s like a manual except the gear change bit is done by the truck. Only use clutch to start or stop. If no clutch fitted then its a full auto.

Nerves kicking in!,jump in the bugger&drive it’ll work out OK :wink:!

That easy?

I had an assessment recently in a Scania tractor unit with opti thingy. I dislike Scania’s and was worried sick about driving it but it was very easy. As said put it in D and use clutch to pull away and when stopping only. Take your time and get to know it, I was surprised at how good the auto box was. Mind you, been driving Axor Auto,s a lot and they are crap.

The 3 pedal Scania auto is a doddle mate, honestly. Nowt to worry about. It’s a manual when starting and stopping and auto rest of the time. You’ll find in ten mins you’ll have it sussed… :slight_smile:

I always thought it was ‘A’ on that twisty thing, not ‘D’. And ‘AH’ for holding the gear a bit longer. Not driven a Scania for over 3 years now so i may be remembering wrong.

stagedriver:
5. Remember to depress clutch when stopping.

If you forget, you will force engine to stop and several error messages, red and yellow lights will pop up in the dashboard… As the guy who drives it on regular basis told me when I was double manning with him on one agency night, if that happens, you jsut have to pull over, switch the ignition and wait few minutes…

It happened three times to me :blush: Why can’t they decide if its auto or manual? :smiley:

So you don’t play bouncy bay and increased control in tight places, that said even a well worn DAF auto with a 10ft elastic band between the throttle pedal and clutch is easy enough to get used to eventually eh, not a fan myself either, manual or auto not fussed, three pedal auto equals head ■■■■ for me.

mickyblue:
The company i am with have P280 Scania’s with Opti Cruise. I am a bit nervous and don’t know what a truck is like with an auto gearbox, and i will get my chance to drive one on Monday after a week of CPC training, which i didn’t pay for :smiley:

Anyone got any tips. The vehicle will be 26 tonne in weight on a daily basis and it is a rigid vehicle.

Sorry for the daft post but my nerves are kicking in.

Do let us know how you got on mickyb. Will be thinking of your tummy Sunday evening :slight_smile:

Well I drive mine in manual because I’m a proper driver :wink: :wink:

I actually quite like the 3 pedal opti-cruise, because I’m lazy but the only time I miss a clutch is when reversing, especially if you’ve got to go over a kurb or a drain gutter or 1 of those automatic wheel clamp systems etc, just so much easier with a clutch.

Good luck with it and relax…after a few days it will all seem easy.

The best moment about being a newbie on any job is the moment when people start asking you for advice…