Stobart Tesco Widnes

Hi All,

newbie here, just have few questions hoping Someone can help me with.

Just passed my Class 1 and looking at getting a job with Stobart Tesco in Widnes. Has anyone worked for them before if so what was it like I.e shifts, wages, conditions, job role.

I did do a search on the forum but nothing came up.

In regards to my background I’ve never done driving jobs before. I’m a behind the desk guy, so want to make sure this job will be right for me as a newbie and give me some experience.

Thanks

Its Tesco. You’ll be given a sheet with everything you’ll need to know. They call it a “risk assessment”. You’ll be doing cages to stores so it will give you good practise at reversing and tight spaces. You won’t be going fast so take your time. Can’t say anything about Widnes but I hear that in Goole they couldn’t organise a ■■■■■■■■ in a brothel so make of that what you will.

Its a good first starter job but not much more.

Djdanj89:
Hi All,

Just passed my Class 1 and looking at getting a job with Stobart Tesco in Widnes. Has anyone worked for them before if so what was it like I.e shifts, wages, conditions, job role.

In regards to my background I’ve never done driving jobs before. I’m a behind the desk guy, so want to make sure this job will be right for me as a newbie and give me some experience.

Thanks

Shifts - anywhere from 6/8 hrs - 15 hrs
Wages - don’t work for them now so no idea ( do speak to mates on for them but not about money really )
Conditions - worked out of barlborough / Goole / donny / Thurrock / crick / teeesport / Widnes , all ok , my main gripe was hours staring at gates as no room for stock / no staff / shift change and zb idiots in dot - com vans
Job role - not sure what you mean :confused: , your a lorry driver ,delivering company products ,
It’s a piece of ■■■■ job to be fair , but just not for me , best of luck

In general, do Stobarts take on new passes anyway?

Literally minutes ago, the wife’s just mentioned them to me, and would I consider them…?

Nearest depots to me though (I think), is Carlisle or Teesport…

Goldfinger:
In general, do Stobarts take on new passes anyway?

Literally minutes ago, the wife’s just mentioned them to me, and would I consider them…?

Nearest depots to me though (I think), is Carlisle or Teesport…

They do, I passed with there driving school.

Radar19:
Its Tesco. You’ll be given a sheet with everything you’ll need to know. They call it a “risk assessment”. You’ll be doing cages to stores so it will give you good practise at reversing and tight spaces. You won’t be going fast so take your time. Can’t say anything about Widnes but I hear that in Goole they couldn’t organise a ■■■■■■■■ in a brothel so make of that what you will.

Its a good first starter job but not much more.

That’s pretty much all I’ve heard about what the work is like.

Hoping someone on here has worked for them in past or currently is just to get more of an insight before leaving my current job.

2/10

IMG_0271.JPG

dozy:

Djdanj89:
Hi All,

Thanks

Wages - don’t work for them now so no idea ( do speak to mates on for them but not about money really )
Conditions - worked out of barlborough / Goole / donny / Thurrock / crick / teeesport / Widnes , all ok , my main gripe was hours staring at gates as no room for stock / no staff / shift change and zb idiots in dot - com vans
Job role - not sure what you mean :confused: , your a lorry driver ,delivering company products ,

Thanks dozy,

By job role I mean is it trunking, delivering to Tesco stores or would you do abit of both?

OVLOV JAY:
2/10

Have you done Tesco work out of Widnes?

Djdanj89:

dozy:

Djdanj89:
Hi All,

Thanks

Thanks dozy,

By job role I mean is it trunking, delivering to Tesco stores or would you do abit of both?

You’ll do a bit of everything in my experience , I did multis , one hits bigger stores , inter - depot truncking , even tramping ( though lots say there is no tramping on tesco work ) , the only job I refused was to drive rigids , one day of those things was enough for me , not the job the truck ( well if that’s what you call them )
N.b the risk assessments will only get you to the first shop , they don’t direct you from shop - shop , but take your time and you should be fine , just ask if not sure , I was always helping out new drivers , and all the lads I knew were the same

I just passed on Tuesday…

But, I’ve already had my class 2 for 10 years.

I’ve had a break from driving for four years, so I’m out looking…

dozy:

Djdanj89:

dozy:

Djdanj89:
Hi All,

Thanks

Thanks dozy,

You’ll do a bit of everything in my experience , I did multis , one hits bigger stores , inter - depot truncking , even tramping ( though lots say there is no tramping on tesco work ) , the only job I refused was to drive rigids , one day of those things was enough for me , not the job the truck ( well if that’s what you call them )
N.b the risk assessments will only get you to the first shop , they don’t direct you from shop - shop , but take your time and you should be fine , just ask if not sure , I was always helping out new drivers , and all the lads I knew were the same

Thanks again Dozy,

Would your recommend it over being based at Appleton?

I only really want to do Mon - Fri no tramping. I was told by a lad that when you go for your meeting to discuss shifts etc that you tell them what you want. If they don’t accept you just walk away and they will come back after you as they are crying out for drivers at the moment.

A lot will knock Stobart, its a good way to get your foot in the door, decent cabs and HSE mental but there are worst jobs out there waiting for you, having said that there are better jobs too.

Id be careful of what some drivers tell you , it maybe a case theyl come running after you if you say no , but it may well be ( as plenty of drivers have found out ) the case they won’t , if you’re not bothered I guess it doesn’t matter , but if you need / want a job then I don’t think its the best course of action
As for Appleton / Widnes , I’m guessing Appleton is general ? , if so I’d go there , rather than tesco out of Widnes , much rather do general , but that is my preference

Widnes and appleton completely different, Appleton general haulage very rarely touch the load tesco outta widnes your tipping and reloading yourself at the stores and when you get back can be hard wrk if the cages are knackered. The choice is yours as to which u think u mite prefer.

andy12:
Widnes and appleton completely different, Appleton general haulage very rarely touch the load tesco outta widnes your tipping and reloading yourself at the stores and when you get back can be hard wrk if the cages are knackered. The choice is yours as to which u think u mite prefer.

I’ve worked in a supermarket for 6 years so used to pushing and pulling cages around.

Is there less chance of staying out over night at Widnes to Appleton? Obviously I understand if there has been a crash of some kind and road is closed that’s unavoidable but do the planners not max your hours out as much at Widnes to Appleton. Sorry If that doesn’t make much sense

Djdanj89:

andy12:

I’ve worked in a supermarket for 6 years so used to pushing and pulling cages around.

Is there less chance of staying out over night at Widnes to Appleton? Obviously I understand if there has been a crash of some kind and road is closed that’s unavoidable but do the planners not max your hours out as much at Widnes to Appleton. Sorry If that doesn’t make much sense

I’d of thought your more likely to get home on tesco work than general , that said when I was on days on general I was always back ( well 99% ) of the time as they needed the truck for the night shift , they’d have the night shift driver come in at 13/14 .oo so they’d want truck back for then ( though there were times they’d have to wait hour / two ).
If you need to be home on a night then I’d go for Widnes tesco work ( you can always ask for a transfer in the future if you’re not settled )

dozy:

Djdanj89:

andy12:

I’d of thought your more likely to get home on tesco work than general , that said when I was on days on general I was always back ( well 99% ) of the time as they needed the truck for the night shift , they’d have the night shift driver come in at 13/14 .oo so they’d want truck back for then ( though there were times they’d have to wait hour / two ).
If you need to be home on a night then I’d go for Widnes tesco work ( you can always ask for a transfer in the future if you’re not settled )

Sounds like the ideal job for a family home bird like yourself dozy. Why don’t you apply?

Sainsburys and Iceland both local and better work and pay than Tescos imo.Dont know if they touch new drivers, Iceland were advertising a couple of weeks back.Sainsburys is agency

the nodding donkey:

dozy:

Djdanj89:

andy12:

Sounds like the ideal job for a family home bird like yourself dozy. Why don’t you apply?

its stobarts , I left , I wont be going back