Cheap HGV say navs

If anyone is thinking of getting one I highly recommend this one…
ebay.co.uk/itm/162051402169
I have one from Trucktable website and one from the link above and the one from the link above had a much better,clearer screen.
The one from trucktables screen ain’t great at all when the sun hits it,where as the other performs a lot better having the far superior screen,they both run the same maps.
I have both because they cost me £20 & £25 from an eBay auction & Gumtree :smiley:
Just thought I’d share with people,they both work fantastically well the only thing the sets them apart is when it’s sunny the glare from the trucktables one makes it virtually unseeable.

Does yours actually avoid low bridges and restricted roads? I’ve got one that runs the same sat nav program and on a few occasions it’s tried sending me down roads I can’t use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simmons84:
Does yours actually avoid low bridges and restricted roads? I’ve got one that runs the same sat nav program and on a few occasions it’s tried sending me down roads I can’t use

To be fair, I’ve got a £300 tom Tom trucker and on the odd occasion that tries sending me down roads I can’t use!

On one occasion it told me there was no truck route available and tried taking me on a route with a bridge I was too high for. Turned out on looking at the map that the reason it was saying no available truck route was because the only route around this bridge was about 15 miles further than I needed to go, so rather than taking me on the correct route all the way round it just told me there was no route available. Really fantastic when it’s suppose to be a truck sat nav.

Simmons84:

It’s pretty much spot on although I set mine 6 inches higher than my trailer just to be sure,very rarely it has tried to send me somewhere it shouldn’t but that’s literally maybe once out of 50 trips and as said above even the £300+ ones do that.

Ah fair enough then, I’ll stick with this one, was going to look at getting an expensive one but I won’t bother now

Rowley010:
On one occasion it told me there was no truck route available and tried taking me on a route with a bridge I was too high for. Turned out on looking at the map that the reason it was saying no available truck route was because the only route around this bridge was about 15 miles further than I needed to go, so rather than taking me on the correct route all the way round it just told me there was no route available. Really fantastic when it’s suppose to be a truck sat nav.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the TomTom wouldn’t redirect you through the 15 mile detour as that was weight limited. When mine has told me it can’t find a truck route, I can normally find myself a route through a weight limited area… :blush: :wink:

Cheap HGV saY navs…

I know its a typo but the sat nav does speak to you :wink: :laughing:

Has it got the correct speed limits for single and duel carriage ways .

fingermissing:
Has it got the correct speed limits for single and duel carriage ways .

Not yet no but I just turn off the sound warnings in the settings.

Evil8Beezle:

Rowley010:

I could be wrong, but I suspect the TomTom wouldn’t redirect you through the 15 mile detour as that was weight limited. When mine has told me it can’t find a truck route, I can normally find myself a route through a weight limited area… :blush: :wink:

No! The way I went had zero restrictions, weight or height. It was all good A roads. No back streets to get round. It was just a much longer way round. I would have thought it should be programmed to give me a route for the dimensions and weight for my vehicle NO MATTER HOW MUCH OF A DETOUR IT IS because otherwise I can’t go the way it’s saying. To just sit there for 5 minutes at 99% and then to say sorry no truck route available when there most definitely is in my opinion is very VERY VERY poor of Tom Tom.

My truckers atlas never tells me that there is no available route available. …
And my free Google Maps shows me where my delivery is, everytime when I’m given the right postcode.

:grimacing:

I bought a truck nav And it’s been great £ 109. Spot on. No probs yet. :smiley:

Picked one up from amazon £32, went back the next day. Programed it setting the height to 16 ft, loaded an address and bang route sent me under 2 bridges that have been there for over 100yrs.

Anybody here getting the irony of truck drivers discussing the merits of cheapo knock off Chinese Sat Navs on a forum where the main topic is usually complaining about the use of cheapo knock off foreign labour.

Stand by for Garmin joining the conversation to tell us we are all exploitative, capitalist, pig dogs who get what we pay for.

I got the trucknav one off of eBay. Paid £70 and I’ve had no problems with routes on it. Had it just over a year. The only minor problems I have are that the speed limits aren’t up to date…which if you’re doing your job properly isn’t really problem. The only other problem I’ve had is that sometimes the destination isn’t exactly where it should be. So I double check using Google maps. All in all though for the price you can’t grumble.

Kerragy:
Anybody here getting the irony of truck drivers discussing the merits of cheapo knock off Chinese Sat Navs on a forum where the main topic is usually complaining about the use of cheapo knock off foreign labour.

Stand by for Garmin joining the conversation to tell us we are all exploitative, capitalist, pig dogs who get what we pay for.

Not really no seeing as though neither tomtom,garmin or snooper are UK made so they are all imports themselves…just more expensive ones.

To the idiots buying cheap sat navs that let you down, what is the point ?
Pay thousands for a Lgv license but pay cheap price for tat that may end you up with a fine, penalty points, loss of license , or jail.
You bunch of Muppets, get the proper kit to do a proper job .

toby1234abc:
Pay thousands for a Lgv license but pay cheap price for tat that may end you up with a fine, penalty points, loss of license , or jail.

Buy cheap sat nav = go jail…wow that’s harsh!

Mine are yet to let me down,but like any electrical good really would you go buy a TV for 1k that’s for sale elsewhere for £500?,chill out and join the cool kids.

On a little side note Mr Toby,if you read above (on the screen not literally above your person)someone has a “proper kit” and it still sent him wrong just the same.

I’ve done a total u turn. I’d never buy an expensive sat nav now. Thanks for the recommendation OP, saved for the day I might have get into a truck without it built into the dash :sunglasses:

toby1234abc:

1…I’m no idiot thanks…

2…Luckily i got my Licence way before it cost thousands of pounds…

3…And after using the cheap tat for 4yrs…I’ve still to accumulate any fines penalty points or prison sentences…

4…Crack open a beer and chill out…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk