Finally a HGV sat nav cheap

For those who have paid £400 sorry, but now they are as cheap as £150 rhaonline.co.uk/product.php?id=496

Some of you may find it helpful.

There’s a reason it’s so cheap, cos it’s CRAP. TomTom all the way baby

I’m on my 3rd Pronav. Maybe I’ve just been unlucky, but they haven’t been the most reliable. They are great when they work, and the latest software seems to have fixed early bugs in them. If you do get one, update to the latest map version, and if you go into london during the day, make sure you switch off the lorry ban avoidance because it thinks they are 24 hour operation.
as far as avoiding bridges is concerned it works very well. Only once has it tried to take me under a low bridge, that was this week on the A222 near Bromley, tried to take me under a 12’ bridge with a 13’9" trailer! fortuneatley there was a truck route signposted.
for that price, it is worth it if you want something to get you the last few miles from the motorway, and it’s extra good if you are pulling a DD trailer

I wonder if we’ll ever get a coach specific satnav, my Snooper doesnt like it when I use a bus lane :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

steve are tom tom truck good because iam thinking of getting one but didnt no any one that had one

Steve-o:

tomsd1989:
steve are tom tom truck good because iam thinking of getting one but didnt no any one that had one

Steve-o:

There is no need for a truck specific sat nav. I use a normal Tomtom 720 and a truckers atlas. Take what a satnav says with a pinch of salt, confirm with truckers atlas then carry on when you’re happy.

nice one mate becuase ive got a normall sat nav and one a philp truck atlas

Steve-o:

tomsd1989:

Steve-o:

There is no need for a truck specific sat nav. I use a normal Tomtom 720 and a truckers atlas. Take what a satnav says with a pinch of salt, confirm with truckers atlas then carry on when you’re happy.

Steve-o:
TomTom all the way baby

I would never consider buying anything else, I’ve tried other peoples Garmins and other stuff and its all just junk, can’t get them to work properly and the layout just rubbish, can’t find how to do routes easily.

theres a fella selling tom toms on ebay, they’re standard jobies that have been remapped with the latest truck info but work perfect, sell for 150ish, best thing i’ve bought, in 9 months has never gave me a bad route and thats doing a lot of site deliveries that can be in the middle of nowhere! only downside i’ve found is, it dosn’t recognise 7.5 ton limits “except for access”, instead it trys to send you round them as if standard weight limits which can mean a lot of unessesary mileage.

i can beat that. there is a bloke in sheffield. he can turn your tomtom into a tomtom truck, with full europe, including russia, and turkey, for £45.00 if you post it.
£40.00 if you take it to him. it takes, 30 minutes.
you need a tomtom with an sd card slot.

www.satnavman.com

that links not working mate for satnavman.

A search for satnavman Sheffield suggests that you might wish to avoid using this service…

Due to collect the Satnav from the police in Sheffield when I am next in the North on business.

Don’t know if it’s been repaired, I can get that done if not, but despite 56 emails, 57phone calls and a recorded delivery letter threatening legal action, the silence from Sheffield was totally, and conclusively deafening. Very poor. Very Very Poor.

In the end I had no choice but to conclude that the device (my property) was not going to be returned to me, and so I dealt with it accordingly.

Fast work by both Exeter and Sheffield Police forces, but as for any other details, I cannot divulge them, as it would breach data protection.

But would I send another satnav to the same place?..not a hope in hell.

Now then…does anyone know of a REPUTABLE and QUALIFIED SatNav repairer who will repair the device, keep in touch regarding the repair… and above all…send it back to me?

expansys.com/ft.aspx?k=121113

Used to do a lot of driving for Halfords, and would ask the shop staff thier opinions of which is the best satnav. almost all said there was little to choose between them, don’t go on price, go on features because they are all basically as good as each other. go for the one that gives you more of what you want. If you never intend to drive seriously in Europe, don’t waste your money on a satnav with every country in Europe on it!

I personally wouldn’t touch anything other than tomtom. tries my mates top of the range Garmin. CRAP. Tried the snooper truck mate. CRAP. 3 tomtoms all EXCELLENT. and no they didn’t go faulty. one got nicked, one blew up cos I was stupid and the 3rd one is still working a treat

yeah tom tom all the way for me. cheap tom tom with the bridge heights downloaded is all you need

john

I’ve used garmin all over Europe and found it much better than the Tom Tom.

Snooper S7000 Truckmate all the way, Digi tv on it aswel :slight_smile:

Alcpone:

there’s a competition to win one in T & D this month :sunglasses:

limeyphil:
i can beat that. there is a bloke in sheffield. he can turn your tomtom into a tomtom truck, with full europe, including russia, and turkey, for £45.00 if you post it.
£40.00 if you take it to him. it takes, 30 minutes.
you need a tomtom with an sd card slot.

satnavman.com

I ‘did’ my 920T a few months ago. Easy :stuck_out_tongue: Trucking maps and latest speed Cameras are just over 2GB :unamused:

If you are going to have a go you must back up the hard drive first. I copy my whole TT hard drive onto a DVD first.

Alcpone:

i got that one, its brilliant