Percentage based earnings

So I’ve accepted a new job which I start at the beginning of August which I’m really exited about…however they pay a % of what the truck earns which I like the idea of however 2 people have said to me that this is illegal surely can’t be true??

Whats the company name.Its frowned upon it pushes some drivers to take risks and the companys that do this want you to max your card everyday they will want there pound of flesh from you.

Colin_scottish:
Whats the company name.Its frowned upon it pushes some drivers to take risks and the companys that do this want you to max your card everyday they will want there pound of flesh from you.

Load of bull. We’re paid % of truck earnings no problem just make sure they don’t take advantage ours don’t :sunglasses: oh and yes it is legal

Pretty sure it’s not illigal…As i know a couple of people at firms that get payed the same…You do need to know what the job is paying though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

daftvader:
Pretty sure it’s not illigal…As i know a couple of people at firms that get payed the same…You do need to know what the job is paying though.

We get to know all our truck earnings and rates for the jobs

tango boy:

daftvader:

But how do you know if the rate they tell you is the same as what they get ?

raymundo:

tango boy:

daftvader:

Because they wouldn’t lie to us it’s all about trust in that respect some firms may but ours wouldn’t!

tango boy:
Because they wouldn’t lie to us it’s all about trust in that respect some firms may but ours wouldn’t!

Ask to see the company’s “accounts receivable”. If they won’t let you that tells you all you need to know about what they’re telling you the truck is earning.

tango boy:

daftvader:

And that’s how it should be…

tango boy:

raymundo:

tango boy:

daftvader:

Trust is a two way thing but how do you know there not doing you over.I think most companies would lie about it more money for them.Walk in amd ask for a certain week see if it matches your wage.

Baldy91:
So I’ve accepted a new job which I start at the beginning of August which I’m really exited about…however they pay a % of what the truck earns which I like the idea of however 2 people have said to me that this is illegal surely can’t be true??

Hi Baldy 91,

A firm paying a % of a truck’s earnings as wages isn’t automatically legal or illegal, because it’s the way that it’s done which might be illegal.

Here’s what the driver’s hours law (561/2006) says about it, I’ve made the important part bold.

561/2006 Article 10(1)

1. A transport undertaking shall not give drivers it employs or who are put at its disposal any payment, even in the form of a bonus or wage supplement, related to distances travelled and/or the amount of goods carried if that payment is of such a kind as to endanger road safety and/or encourages infringement of this Regulation.

In other words, a boss would be well advised to have something in the pay rates that clearly shows that you’re not having to rush about, take shortened rests/breaks or be tempted to carry an overload.

Many firms who operate this kind of pay system have a guaranteed basic wage, then a % of the truck’s earnings as a kind of bonus.

Quite correctly asked above… how are you supposed to know how much the truck is earning?
Then there’s my question… suppose you spend a day in the yard, because there’s no work for your truck, or your truck is in for servicing/inspection. Would you be paid for that time??

The hours worked and the amount paid must still be at least the minimum wage

Many moons ago I worked for the second largest or even arguably the biggest coastal shipping company in the UK and were on a share basis of 60/40 %. The contract made between receiver and shipper is called a ‘charter party’ and as we were paid on a percentage of the boats earnings were legally entitled to see it but during all the years I was there I only ever saw one once and that was only by someone leaving it laying around in the office where I was making a phone call. The rate on it was a lot more than what we was getting !!!
I spoke with the head of the chartering department about the discrepancy and was told point blank … ‘‘If you wish to remain working for us you will quickly forget you’ve seen anything’’

So without seeing the money change hands if on a percentage then you can never be 100% sure you are getting the correct agreed amount. Hauliers like shipowners are not exactly renowned for their generosity (and in some cases their honesty).

If I wanted my wages based on truck earnings I’d buy my own truck.

My first artic job was percentage, earning around 1/2 again what other local hauliers were paying, swings and roundabouts mind.

I know some lads on percentage now and i’ve known the gaffer well for many years, if the lads ask to see the books he will show them, but he works on trust like Tango Boy’s place, so whilst he will show them the books he takes it as an insult if the request is repeated which i kind of agree with him, you either trust each other or you don’t, his lads can knock some serious wedge up.

I worked for a company years ago that included % bonus on lorry earning. I noticed that the blue eyed drivers got the better paying jobs!

I’ve worked on % for most of my driving career and honesty wouldn’t like to work any other way, definitely swings and roundabouts but when my work is done I’m off home and not hanging the job out to make the hours up!

I haven’t been paid in 20 yrs , ‘she’ keeps the lot ,thank god for birthdays and Christmas money !

I was paid on a % of earnings (27%) as were most of the drivers I worked with and it was the best way by far. Know the rates (I always asked for a rate sheet for every place I loaded from) and worked my own wages out in advance with a calculator. Get the work done and crack off home instead of kipping in lay-byes trying to get the hours in. :wink:

Pete.

As has pointed out above it may well work ok at some firms but on the whole i’d personally be dubious of working for a firm that intends to pay using that method.