Percentage wages!

Not that it is a major concern of mine as I am an owner operater, but I had a disturbing conversation with a driver who works for a well known East Anglian Haulier, It appears that he is paid a percentage of what ever they tell him the truck earns. I campaigned without success more that ten years ago about this very same thing and I thought that it was now a thing of the past. Sadly this is not the case. May I qoute from the Croners Transport Managers Manual regards Wages of crew members of HGV or LGVs. Performance related wages are prohibited. In no circumstances will crew members be paid wages that would compromise road saftey. If you are being paid these so called wages shop your emplyer to vosa via the whistle blowers number. Because a percentage of sod all is still SOD ALL!!.

Yeah its illegal but can be a great earner for both employer and employee… I know a good foew irish lads who get a base £x each week and any extra trips within the norm is added on top… Woks out great for both parties but yeah obviously not the rightway about it but thats life…

I started on for a firm based in Barry who do europe and although you were paid a basic (which was next to naff all) the majority of your wages were made up of what the truck (according to them) earnt … Needless to say i only did one day for them then saw sense and jacked it.

Am i right in saying Lucy is on a similar sort of thing??

little enis:
Not that it is a major concern of mine as I am an owner operater, but I had a disturbing conversation with a driver who works for a well known East Anglian Haulier, It appears that he is paid a percentage of what ever they tell him the truck earns. I campaigned without success more that ten years ago about this very same thing and I thought that it was now a thing of the past. Sadly this is not the case. May I qoute from the Croners Transport Managers Manual regards Wages of crew members of HGV or LGVs. Performance related wages are prohibited. In no circumstances will crew members be paid wages that would compromise road saftey. If you are being paid these so called wages shop your emplyer to vosa via the whistle blowers number. Because a percentage of sod all is still SOD ALL!!.

Amen to that little enis :open_mouth:

scottishcruiser:
Yeah its illegal but can be a great earner for both employer and employee… I know a good foew irish lads who get a base £x each week and any extra trips within the norm is added on top… Woks out great for both parties but yeah obviously not the rightway about it but thats life…

It works ok if you’ve got a decent gaffer but east anglian and haulier rarely equal that :laughing:

Reef:
I started on for a firm based in Barry who do europe and although you were paid a basic (which was next to naff all) the majority of your wages were made up of what the truck (according to them) earnt … Needless to say i only did one day for them then saw sense and jacked it.

No, not quite.

Lucy is paid on milage. That only become illegal if you are encouraged (by ■■■■ poor rates) to run bent.

Lucy’s firm doesn’t do that so perfectly legal

Reef:

funny i thought you left cos your car broke down and couldn do the 40 mile trip to work. :unamused: :unamused:

im on mileage and if your busy you can earn a bloody good wage but im also on a good take home if things are quiet.

I found it a good system in the 60s when I used to find all my own work away from home and always asked for the rate before taking on a job. If they refused to tell me I moved on and if they told me one thing and paid another they didn’t get a second chance.
Not sure anybody does that nowadays so relies on a high degree of trust I would have thought.

Spardo:
so relies on a high degree of trust I would have thought.

I dont think I could trust ANYONE in this industry any more its full of employers who just want more and more and more from their drivers.

I get paid on a percentage of what the truck makes, well sort off i get a day rate of 80 quid and when the truck earns £1750 over the week i get 50 quid bonus and 10 % of what it then earns great if theres a lot of good paying local work but theres not much about in fact i had to stay home today so goodbye bonus this week :imp:

Every car delivery firm I have ever worked for and there’s been a few, paid Basic + mileage + Car money, more you do, the more you earn , vosa knows that, as I met one that was ex car delivery.

ALso few big firms that pay PER MILE therefore this enticement (spl) gets passed onto the driver to go harder if he/she wishes to make more…

Semtex:

Reef:

No, not quite.

Lucy is paid on milage. That only become illegal if you are encouraged (by ■■■■ poor rates) to run bent.

Lucy’s firm doesn’t do that so perfectly legal

Thats the one … Thanks for the correction…

BTW I was in no way accusing Lucy of any wrong doing its just i had a vague recollection of a discussion about wages before

Skeltons pay basic plus percentage of wagon earnings at their Brandesburton depot.

i worked for someone who paid a percentage of the trucks earnings as a bonus. the basic was good enough not to worry about it but the more the truck earned the more i earned each week. never made me run bent though as i said before the basic was ok.

i use to work for a company in the sw on percentage there was a basic which we got paid while on holiday ect but during a normal week just truck earnings,
i use to earn a bloody good wage,when we got our pay packet each week we had a printout of all the loads we had done and the tonnage rate for each,excluding v.a.t. so that we could check our pay against loads.
they would even let us see the invoice sent to the relevant companies if we still thought there was some thing not right, always open never hid a thing
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I was paid a basic rate plus so much per ton shifted when I was on bulk grain. The rate per ton varied depending on the distance and there was a lot of pressure to run bent, I refused to do this and left. The company tried to sue me for £3k for breach of contract, they didnt get far with that :unamused:

Tiger.

i was on this sort of wage but that was on my parcel days, never had to run bent but pushed to deliver alot of parcels.

my basic was good £320 a week, you had a 10 hour target of parcels to deliver and if you took out more than that you then got paid by the parcel which could be a good lil earner and if you went out with catalouges at the weekend you can easily make between 600 and 1000 a week

and thats just driving a van lol

the most i made one week was 759 quid before tax

I work on a percentage and don’t have a problem with it :laughing: