percentage pay

got phone call today from a mate saying the guy he works for has put him on percentage of what the wagon earns i think he said 20% is that still leagal as to my mind it just encourages running bent although my mate wouldnt do that like he says he can only do what the company they sub to give him.his boss says its not paying enough to justyfy his current wages.its traction work so the rates aint brilliant anyway.

Isn’t the setup with that sort of thing a low garunteed wage, say £200 per week and then a percentage of the trucks earnings so that legally the wage is the £200pw and the rest is a bonus or whatever you want to call it?

Looks like an underhanded attempt by your mate`s boss to give him a pay cut. Any method of payment which encourages drivers to bend the rules in order to make their wages is illegal
Regards
Trev

robin his boss says its just percentage so no minimum rate

If he is employed then he has to be paid at least “Minimum Wage” so it can’t all be a percentage rate, or if it is then his boss may be breaking the employment laws.

Firstly there is the issue of minimum wage, secondly any bonus scheme which could possibly endanger road safety (in this case the driver could speed to make sure he gets an extra load) is illegal although often difficult to prove.

cheers guys i,ll phone him in the morning and tell him :laughing:

I’ve seen jobs on the jobcentre website that state a wage of about £225pw and then x percentage of the trucks earnings.

Pure millage based earnings are also illegal now aren’t they?

percentage of what your told the truck earns …this is the employee subsidising the owner

It’s one of those things which depends on the Traffic Area - different TCs will allow different things.

One thing which is universal, however, is there must be a guaranteed minimum which is within the minimum wage. Eg. We are paid 99% by mileage, but our contracts state 40 hours a week, and we get nearly £50 a day whatever.

If your mate has a contract of employment, his boss is effectively changing the contract.
This change must be agreed and signed by both parties.
If he decides he doesn’t agree with the new package he doesn’t sign the new contract.
But then the boss could send him packing!!

Is the boss going to tell him what his rates are?, what he gets paid for every trip , let him see the books etc etc.?.

No■■? i didnt think so…

Dont forget that when hes on holiday hell only get the bare minimum.

This has got me wondering. If you are on a daily salery regardless of hours of say £65 per day. If you did a 15 hour day your pay would work out at £4.33ph, is this legal? or does the minimum wage of £5.05? only apply to those paid by the hour?

I did it once Carl, 22% and no gaurantee. I can say I earned a lot of money doing it, as I did, but that was before I grew a brain and eyelids!

robinhood_1984:
or does the minimum wage of £5.05? only apply to those paid by the hour?

No, the minimum wage applies to everybody regardless of pay structure. If, as in your example it equated to £4.33 / hour, it would be illegal.

mrpj:

robinhood_1984:

No, the minimum wage applies to everybody regardless of pay structure. If, as in your example it equated to £4.33 / hour, it would be illegal.

Very interesting!

robinhood_1984:

mrpj:

robinhood_1984:

Very interesting!

Don’t forget though that a 15 day will include breaks that don’t need to be paid which would bring the hourly rate up. 15 hours of work need to be paid at the appropriate rate.

i know people who pay percentage & people who earn it.
20% is way too low, 25% would be more like it. :smiley:

paul

Well I’m on a similar system, we ge a percentage of the truck earnings, but we know that we are on a minimum wage every week if something goes wrong. We also know exactly what the truck is earning for each job. If any faults are found on our tacho’s we get the biggest rollocking out, also as we are on contract to Tarmac, they only give us work that can be done legally and as we are doing building sites we are limited to a 8am till 5pm delivery window.

My lowest top line has been £400 on a 48hr week, and my best has been £600 on a 64hrs week.

But it all depends on the employer, I have worked for the dodgy ones who do this to screw the drivers. Think I may have found a good one at last

I’ve been on full percentage years ago, that was 21% +night out but it was’nt very good, and 1 guy i worked for used to work for would take the value of the night out of your wages, so effectivly you paid your own night out money :open_mouth: . but even now i get 5% of earnings as bonus, but my salary is good . :wink: so it depends on what your bottom line is at the end off the day :wink: