Truck-earnings related bonuses

I put a comment on another thread about percentage of truck earnings bonuses, but as I got no response I have started a new thread on it.
Is anybody on this system and does anybody think it is genuine. It is prevalent on tipper and walking floor work, although I am not sure it is entirely legal due to it compromising road safety as it is an incentive to get the job done asap, and we all have to suffer some, not all, kamikaze special needs tipper men.
As I said my mate works on a well known w/floor co. on a set salary, 5 days with a truck earnings related percentage bonus. The drivers teararse about like there is no tomorrow stupid time starts, maxing out, driving to last minute so parking up with no facilities, and some even running Sundays UNPAID :open_mouth: to be …first in queue Mon am :unamused: :laughing:
My mate done it his first couple or so weeks and tried an experiment of still getting the job done but sensibly. ie sensible start times, driving in a sensible professional manner, concentrating on parking in suitable places instead of ■■■■ hole lay bys, and keep in his driving hours well away from the max borderline.
Guess what his average earnings were give or take a couple of quid different from the knob heads.
The whole problem with this system was/is that despite requests the co.would not disclose what the earnings were ( I know they are not obliged to before anybody jumps) but how are the drivers meant to work out their earnings if it is genuine, and why are some drivers so thick to believe in it.

Years ago I worked for David McCune in Aycliffe, and we were paid a flat rate, plus overnight allowance, and a percentage of the trucks earnings. It was a terrible system, especially as he wouldn’t tell us the rates for the job. Sundays were expected to be done free because he claimed that it would be reflected in the overall bonus at the end of the month. It was noticeable the golden boys always seemed to get more than the rest of us. A friend had told me what it was like, but I didn’t need a lot at the time, and was keen to try international work. Didn’t last long, though.

Incidentally, I think most pay schemes that pay you for work done encourage law breaking. I’m on hourly (as most are), so if I was to work 16 per day, I earn more than I would on 15.

How can you offer a percent of the trucks earnings but not disclose what it earns■■?
It’s an outdated way of working to me.
My gaffer doesn’t tell us the earnings but we are paid by the hour,you can tell when we have a good paying job though as he puts up our hourly rate by £2.50 which I think is very decent and honest of him to be fair

sayersy:
I think most pay schemes that pay you for work done encourage law breaking. I’m on hourly (as most are), so if I was to work 16 per day, I earn more than I would on 15.

That is totally different though isn’t it. Working 16 hours is neither encouraged ( or at least shouldn’t be )or set out on your employment contract as a designated method of topping up your salary, a truck earnings related salary bonus is (in the firm I used as an example)

kamikaze special needs tipper men

:exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

I was on load bonus at Smiths where you have a folder so you can look up how many radials a delivery is. I never did, preferring to file it’s contents under “R”.
I was also paid a bonus on Earthline but we were never told how it was worked out. Me and another driver did the same all week yet I went home with £5 more.
My new tipper job pays hourly rate and no bonus of any sort. :grimacing: This is a small family firm who don’t get involved in big projects, usually farms and small building companies. I’m also allowed to take my son in the cab too.

I got paid 25% of the earnings of the lorry in 1976, wage sheets fully made out with rate for job shown, fair enough.

Have worked for some who didn’t disclose the rate, nor the percentage in some cases, a right fiddle.

Earnings related pay still out there, in the case of one of the biggest car carriers something like 50% of the pay is made up of cars delivered and number of drops, but it’s all in the open on proper unionised jobs.

All pay schemes have their merits and their bad points, you’re under pressure to deliver more goods on some schemes and more hours than you should on some others, some hourly schemes encourage POA fiddling, some salary schemes are a rip off for the staff.

What comprises the best pay scheme is a personal choice.

Used to do traction work for a percentage many years ago, problem was the cream jobs used to be given to their favourite’s so you couldn’t increase earnings by doing better paid work

Our drivers are on a % basis as we’ll as a basic for 5 days
They no to the penny what each load is as they get given the rate per ton from guy we sub for
They tell me what the lorry has earnt on a Friday
It doesn’t encourage them to tear around just use there head a bit and give a toss about the job there doing

Wasnt percentage and trip money made illegal years ago
Alot of euro drivers were on trip money back then

I remeber somewhere it was stopped as it encouraged drivers to run bent
Same as paying by the km like the easten euros seam to get now