CB radio.

It has all changed now.

The ones that the government legalised in 1981, are still valid, but now they have legalised the mid band, or the set of frequencies that the Yanks use. These are also legal in Europe. To make it even better, they have also legalised SSB, which they resisted for years, because “It caused all sorts of inteference.”

So there you have it.

If you want a jack of all trades CB to cover everything, then you will need to look at circa, £200+ and the brands and models that seem to be hawked around on the various forums, are the CRT6900, CRT9900, Anytone 5555 etc etc etc. A lot of these higher end radios, were destined for the 28mhz Ham band, but are labelled as “Export” and are easily opened up to cover ALL of the cb bands. A lot of these radios, are now Chinese made, hence the fairly cheap cost.

However. 2 things spring to mind.

1. They are still capable of transmitting on the 28mhz ham band, so if you don’t have a ham licence, then you will be committing an offence under The Wreless Telegraphy Act, if caught.
  2. If you were to use all of the cb bands, you would have to make sure that your choice of antenna will cover this now, broad spectrum.

Funnily enough. Because SSB in the 27mhz band is now legal, there are more and more licenced hams buying and using these type of radios, now the threat of prosecution is no longer there.

Me personally. I stopped using cb’s years ago, and now have my full ham licence, but would be tempted to use cb again now it has been opened up to use more frequencies. If only the ■■■■■■■■■ that spoil it would move onto something else.

Ken. G8FSO