CB's

Question,

Do people still use CB’s in their trucks these days?

I see quite a few truckers on the Facebook groups mentioning them, or is it just an old school thing.

I started using CBs when they first came out in UK,.around 80ish, they were illegal sets which were usually bought off Irish drivers on the boat…don’t ask me why it was the Irish who got their hands on them.
I then bought legal ones when they came in.
Never used one for 20+ years since airwaves were awash with f/whits winding truckers up, and generally speaking complete ■■■■ that you had to endure.

Drac:
Question,

I see quite a few truckers on the Facebook groups mentioning them, or is it just an old school thing.

I imagine the police use them.

I have one. It’s desperately quiet unless passing some major conurbation (especially Doncaster, Ponty etc) where you’re bombarded with council house FM from those who can only afford a pay as you go phone!

There is a CB app you can download which is busy with truck drivers 24/7. The only problem is that to “key” the mike you need to touch the phone which obviously has consequences.

had one in the 80’s not really into it but used to leave it on for traffic info, but i always remember one bloke called “THE VICAR” who you could hear round j15 to j11 on the m1 giving you sermons and wishing all lorry drivers well with some humour… :smiley:

CB is an essential tool on round timber haulage. You’re a right pain in the arse if you havnt got one and I meet you on a blind bend and the nearest lay-by is a mile and a half reverse for you.
Essential on the 75 too. FM or AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used to have an AM set in the car when they first became popular then the government took all the fun out of it by making FM legal in 1981, we stuck with it for a while but the music players and idiots killed it.

adam277:

Drac:
Question,

I’m a bit of a geek on stuff like this but the police do not operate on a cb channel. They may like to listen on them to see whats happening but police communicate via a secure digital network usually via a airwave unit these are secure lines that can only be accessed by other devices on the network. I remember years ago you could listen to the police chat via a scanner but they days are long gone sadky

GOG47:
CB is an essential tool on round timber haulage. You’re a right pain in the arse if you havnt got one and I meet you on a blind bend and the nearest lay-by is a mile and a half reverse for you.
Essential on the 75 too. FM or AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also Yuill & Dodds keeping an eye out for speed traps :grimacing: cheers Ray

Nearly there again:

adam277:

Drac:
Question,

I’m a bit of a geek on stuff like this but the police do not operate on a cb channel. They may like to listen on them to see whats happening but police communicate via a secure digital network usually via a airwave unit these are secure lines that can only be accessed by other devices on the network. I remember years ago you could listen to the police chat via a scanner but they days are long gone sadky

You used to be able to listen to the police on any old radio. My dad often sat up to the early hours listening to the chatter.

I thought they were very good at the start ,then the half wits got a hold of them so they became a waste of time

Since SSB sets became legal and the Ham Radio Foundation Licence became easy to get it opened a new world to some. With HF radios giving a wide coverage many have changed over from CB fm and mid block. Saying that you still get the “muppets” who sat on the 19, gobbing off at any body who interrupted them, on SSB 11 meter 27.555 doing the same.

Nearly there again:

Tetra.

Ken.

lolipop:
Since SSB sets became legal and the Ham Radio Foundation Licence became easy to get it opened a new world to some. With HF radios giving a wide coverage many have changed over from CB fm and mid block. Saying that you still get the “muppets” who sat on the 19, gobbing off at any body who interrupted them, on SSB 11 meter 27.555 doing the same.

And it is amazing how many foundation licence holders, use sets that aren’t type approved for amateur radio, and use more than the permissable 10w.

Ken.

G8FSO.