cb radios

Hi guys, I’m just curious to know wether drivers still use cb radios. I am aware they are used in quarrys and similar environments but what about in the wider community.
Thanks

I still have my Harrier CBX my Dad brought me in the 80s. It’s ok for the odd traffic report but unless you are running with someone there not like they use to be. To many idiots.

As has been said before on the subject technology has overtaken them, what with free unlimited calls, book face and ■■■■■■■ and god knows what. Still a few die hards like myself still insist but hardly ever use it, due in part cos I,m normally running alone, Billy no mates!!

Good when running with other drivers on the continent (anyone remember that?) but in the UK all you are going to do is spend all day listening to “Council house FM”.

Thanks for your reply

Stopped using mine when all you heard were kids calling … 14 (or) 19 for a copeeeeeeeeee ! :slight_smile:

I’ve got one but never use ch19. No cb handle, none of that “copy that breaker” crap. Most of the tippers around Oxford use them. For those in the area 4 is Einigs (plus the hauliers they use). 5 is Earthline. 22 is Hanson and 36 is Smiths. I think slightly out of area 25 is either MJ Church or Smiths of Gloucester.
I don’t know if it is “normal” cb talk but I hate drivers around here saying “Roger D.” It’s true, the comment about “Council House FM” but this is a lot less frequent now people can write about their breakfast or take a photo of their cat asleep and share it with apparent “friends.”
You do get the odd weirdo living with elderly parents asking for a “rig check” or any “truckers copyeee?” which get universally ignored, occasionally they get abusive. If they don’t get abusive they tend to complain about all the talk being “shovels, stone, muck etc.”

Ham radio is the way to go.

Ken. G8FSO.

A75 Carlise to Cairnryan is trucker CB heaven with drivers watching out for each heading to/from boats.
North from Cairnryan on A77 is much the same.

+1 there…cb means no points and flat to the mat…no cb means your going to be a victim…basically anywhere the cross channel boat traffic runs is full of craic as apart from info about plod,theres still great cameradrie which has long gone for the uk dudes…a.m rules the air. :slight_smile:

A customs man in Gt Yarmouth many moons ago must have been an AM fan because he asked if he could have mine out of my car, well I think that’s what he said cos he took it anyway :frowning: