And another one.

Juddian:
Lowest Common Denominator rules apply.

This is what happens when a job is dumbed down to LCD level so any cheap fool can do it, you get cheap fools/dummies.

For once Juddian I have to disagree with you. The man was a bloody fool, no doubt about that, and I sincerely hope he loses his vocational entitlement for a very long time; but I fail to see what todays allegedly lower standards have to do with it. Back in the day, down at the infamous Newport Cattle Market, there was a hard-core of boys who regularly got well plastered in the Picton or the Alma and could often be observed weaving back to their cabs (and occasionally failing to make the distance) in the small hours; only to be setting off again at six o’clock sharp. The police station, as you probably know, was just round the corner, but you never saw a bobby question anyone about it, in fact you rarely saw a bobby.

If anything standards in this area are higher, and tolerances lower, than they’ve ever been; random breath and drug testing by employers for example is an accepted part of the game these days. The mystery is how he managed to get in and out of Magor without being rumbled if he was that hammered, and Tesco will no doubt be asking some pretty serious questions of the duty supervisors. I don’t particularly buy the theory that he only started boozing once he left the site.