Another one driving a truck over the drink drive limit

14/3/14 on the M25. A foreigner stopped by the police blew 116.

I’ve never considered drink driving myself but there does seem to be a mentality amongst some drivers that they can get away with it. Over 3 times the limit is not something you can do by accident.
Are the type of people drawn to this job the type with this attitude or does the job make you that way?

m1cks:

I’ve never considered drink driving myself but there does seem to be a mentality amongst some drivers that they can get away with it. Over 3 times the limit is not something you can do by accident.
Are the type of people drawn to this job the type with this attitude or does the job make you that way?

So out of all the lorries on the road that day, one driver, that we know of, blew over the limit, so that was a tiny fraction of lorry drivers on the road that day, therefore I would suggest that the numbers prove that the type of people drawn to this job have no such attitude and the job doesn’t make them that way HTH :wink:

Not on planet ■■■■ net

Hiya i was told that coaches are fitted with a type of breath detector that sniffs the
air in the drivers area, any alcohol the engine cuts . will it happen with trucks.
after what you ear maybe they should fit them. a Italian chap come to where i
work a couple of years ago, he was drinking whiskey straight from the bottle.
nice chap as he was he offered me some…no i declined i have a little amount of
sense.
John

Volvo offer a breatalysers system that won’t start the truck if you blow over the limit.

3300John:
Hiya i was told that coaches are fitted with a type of breath detector that sniffs the
air in the drivers area, any alcohol the engine cuts
John

With some of the groups I did as a coach driver the engine would never start!

London Gateway have introduced random breath tests for drivers, with a lower limit to one used by police. Makes you wonder how big the problem is. Can see some drivers having problem the morning after. Not sure if it is true, but I think they can only conduct test if they suspect you are intoxicated, as is the case with the police. Could be interesting to be told you look a bit the worse for wear after a five hour drive down there, and that if you don’t blow into the bag you will be turned away. Is it really up to them to monitor contractors on site this way…and is it just ■■■■■■■ patronising or what?

kr79:
Volvo offer a breatalysers system that won’t start the truck if you blow over the limit.

What happens if you ask a sober person in the vicinity to blow then fire her up & crack on…?

kr79:

Gotta be the way forward. Im surprised big brother Brussels isnt swarming all over this!

Pimpdaddy:

kr79:

What happens if you ask a sober person in the vicinity to blow then fire her up & crack on…?

Integral retinal scanner & DNA swab analyser. :slight_smile:

■■■■■■■:

Pimpdaddy:

kr79:

Integral retinal scanner & DNA swab analyser. :slight_smile:

Blow a balloon up the night before and use that in the morning!

Integral rectal scanner, I like that…:laughing:

m1cks:

I’ve never come across this mentality you mention. Infact , the opposite. Most know they have to be carefull. If the guy has blew 116 then i don’t think that he would think he’s getting away with anything. He’s probably out of it and fully realises if stopped he’s in trouble, and as you say its not an accident. He has a problem. Thats not a mentality thats typical of truck drivers, or any proffessional drivers. Its a guy with an alcohol problem, they come from all walks of life, bin men, doctors,solicitors, policemen, judges etc…

m1cks:

Pretty dumb question that really based on the odd drunk found steering a cab. Based on that logic and the fact the Yorkshire Ripper drove a lorry too, maybe it makes us all a little bit suspect to bagging the odd bird now and again too ?

Pimpdaddy:
Rectal scanner, I like that…:laughing:

Make you jump a little bit at first don’t they?

Mike-C:

Pimpdaddy:
Rectal scanner, I like that…:laughing:

Make you jump a little bit at first don’t they?

Oh yes:mrgreen:

■■■■■■■:

kr79:

Gotta be the way forward. Im surprised big brother Brussels isnt swarming all over this!

I think its a good way forward too. As the guys have said above , a lot of coaches already have this in operation. And to be fair i think (don’t take my word as gospel), anyone having about four pints and getting their head down about 11pm and getting up at 6am should be well clear ?

3300John:
Hiya i was told that coaches are fitted with a type of breath detector that sniffs the air in the drivers area, any alcohol the engine cuts

Ok, so you’re driving a coach and one of your drunken passengers comes over to moan that the heating/aircon/music/whatever isn’t right, the system detects it and shuts the engine down at 62mph in the middle lane…

No, I don’t think so. Wouldn’t be safe would it. I would guess it would be a blow in a tube thing to check your level before letting you start it…

According to the most recent figures I can find, there are just over 90,000 drink-driving convictions a year in Great Britain.

drinkdriving.org/drink_drivi … ics_uk.php

I doubt that more than a dozen of these convictions relate to truck drivers caught at the wheel so it’s hardly an endemic problem.

Racist or not, I will just say that virtually all of these “drink-drive truck driver” stories seem to involve eastern Europeans.

I have never heard of auto coach breath tests on vehicle :open_mouth:
Though (when I worked for a rather large bus company) they did have random breath and drug tests, even the office staff from CEO down where subject to them.
It did change a lot of habits quickly after a couple of suspensions and sackings as a session after work to midnight and back in at 05.30 was very common back in the day.
The firm where good and offered counselling initially and all tests where done before your shift, unless a passenger complained about your driving or your breath, then the alleged offender was dragged off the road double quick. :wink:

Drift:
I have never heard of auto coach breath tests on vehicle :open_mouth:

My mate works for Shearings or Hardings ? (forget which one), based in Runcorn. Some of their coaches are fitted with this. Blow, start up and go. Fail blow, no go !!! :smiley: