Throw away the key!

A drunk Polish trucker who drove the wrong way down a dual carriageway while nearly four times the limit is facing jail.

Ryszard Burek started downing whisky and beer at 10am before setting off.

Horrified drivers veered out of his way on the A14 near Ipswich on Saturday. He was stopped after half a mile by an off-duty PC.

Burek, 48, who arrived in Britain last week, admitted drink driving and dangerous driving.

Nigel Innes, defending, told South East Suffolk JPs: “He can’t remember getting behind the wheel.”

He will be sentenced at Ipswich crown court later.

Source Daily Mirror

Saw a similar thing happen on the A45 last saturday with a Slovkian registered car. Driver was obviously drunk and missed a head on by inches.
Apparently the laws on drink driving are lax to say the least in EE countries, so the new arrivals do as they do at home and are unaware or don’t care about UK d/d regs.

i keep hearing on the news about these honest hardworking well educated east europeans but this type of thing is cropping up to offten for my liking

If this was a British Driver he would get a few years - but as a newly arrived person to this country I am sure he will get a brief telling off and asked nicely not to do it again!

It often makes me think I take my life in my hands when I venture forth to do a simple trip - even taking the grandkids out in the car.
You never know what idiot is coming along and going to take you out.

It often makes me think I take my life in my hands when I venture forth to do a simple trip - even taking the grandkids out in the car.

In the A45 incident mothertrucker , I was with my youngest son , luckily I’d pulled into a service station to wash the car when the idiot came roaring past on the wrong carriageway :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

shade:
Apparently the laws on drink driving are lax to say the least in EE countries

look them up before you go and raise an angry mob with torches, their limits are much lower than ours

i’m not saying they are as strictly policed, but this is an emotive subject (immigrants) to be making glib statements on

JJ72, who’s raising an angry mob?
i posted a report from a newspaper and followed it up with a personal experiance.

The comment made about drink driving laws in the east of Europe was made TWICE on the BBC {radio 1 newsbeat and radio 2 news item} last week , if it’s incorrect fair enough but it’s what was said.

‘glib statments’ get a life :unamused:

shade:

A drunk Polish trucker who drove the wrong way down a dual carriageway while nearly four times the limit is facing jail.

Mothertrucker:
If this was a British Driver he would get a few years - but as a newly arrived person to this country I am sure he will get a brief telling off and asked nicely not to do it again

Or not
The news this morning told me that my local prison (Canterbury)is full of Foreign people Not even one Brit is in there unless they work there.

I spend many weekends parked up around Europe and can honestly say the Brits are the worst for getting smashed out of their heads on Sundays and then driving off in the early hours of Monday morning, i would guess that over 50% should not be driving and would definitely fail a breath test they don’t make the English papers though

jimti:
Or not
The news this morning told me that my local prison (Canterbury)is full of Foreign people Not even one Brit is in there unless they work there.

This Beeb report and this one shows some figures on prison population.

I want to know why an off-duty PC stopped him and not an on-duty traffic plod. Oh, I forgot, they’ve been substituted by useless one-offence-wonder boxes mounted on grey poles. :unamused:

jj72 - why should the immigrants be an emotive subject? Send all the bar stewards back I say!!

macplaxton:
I want to know why an off-duty PC stopped him and not an on-duty traffic plod. Oh, I forgot, they’ve been substituted by useless one-offence-wonder boxes mounted on grey poles. :unamused:

And that sums up todays policing of the roads. Nil. All down to automated fines.

jj72:

shade:
Apparently the laws on drink driving are lax to say the least in EE countries

look them up before you go and raise an angry mob with torches, their limits are much lower than ours

i’m not saying they are as strictly policed

You’re right jj ,they too have a zero tolerance policy towards drink driving and a lower (or similar )level to us. As for being strictly policed they suffer the same problems as us. i.e. getting enough enforcement out in rural areas where it is more common.