Last car coming off cornmarket

Our third car is the only one still insured with Cornmarket, pulled my main car off them last time due to yet another massive increase and unable to match premiums from what i would call decent insurers.
Just had the renewal for the second policy, gone up from £232 to £283, done a search on Moneysupermarket and Saga have come in at £142, fully comp 5 years NCD on the second policy.

I can no longer be arsed with having to ponce about on the phone for an hour whilst they make it sound as if they’re doing me a favour getting it to about £30 more than the better quote to try to get to stay another year, shan’t miss that bloody terms and conditions recording you are compelled to listen to presumably whilst the call centre bod goes for a ciggie.

They used to be brilliant a few years ago when they were Adelaide, or is it just me?

Not just you my friend. My last quote was £380 fully comp, I thought that was way too expensive so googled “cheap car insurance” the very first result was for Quote me happy.com. Filled all the relevant in and they quoted £125, I immediately bought it. The next day Cornmarket phoned to try to get me to re sign with them, I informed them that I’d gone with another insurer and told them the price only to be told “we could beat that” I then told him to ■■■■ off as his first quote should have been the most competitive instead of an inflated rip me off price.

Hell, that’s 1/3rd the price.

I’m getting thoroughly cheesed off with this we’ll match price ■■■■■■■■, if you’re a gentle soul like an old fashioned pensioner who isn’t up to date with the wheeze of the day or maybe isn’t internet savvy you’ll pay through the nose, this isn’t just insurance it’s everywhere.

I’ll probably go with that Saga deal but i’m going to ring DL and see what they can offer, my main car is with them they have all our details and i wouldn’t mind keeping at least my car insurances in one pot.

I too like to keep everything in one place, but apparently that’s not how it works nowadays. Loyalty seems to be penalised rather than rewarded as can be witnessed when one threatens to leave Sky, The AA, your bank et al. It’s not right, but that seems to be the way it is, existing customers treated with contempt at the altar of new business! :imp:

I’m a newish HGV driver and decided to try Cornmarket on people’s recommendations. They wanted £150 more than my renewal with Co-op. When I told them they said they could beat it, I asked why they couldn’t do that the first time. He gave me some drivel then proceeded to still quote me £38 more than my renewal. Needless to say I won’t be swapping

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

yep, same experiences as above used them for two years all ok then all the crappy phone calls and quotes…
i’m on their recording system some where telling them to “go forth and multiply”… that was the only way i could get them to understand what NO meant…

I used to use Adelaide/Cornmarket until I retired.I was then no longer a professional driver and their premium demands were too stupid to even consider.

Juddian:
Hell, that’s 1/3rd the price.

I’m getting thoroughly cheesed off with this we’ll match price ■■■■■■■■, if you’re a gentle soul like an old fashioned pensioner who isn’t up to date with the wheeze of the day or maybe isn’t internet savvy you’ll pay through the nose, this isn’t just insurance it’s everywhere.

I’ll probably go with that Saga deal but i’m going to ring DL and see what they can offer, my main car is with them they have all our details and i wouldn’t mind keeping at least my car insurances in one pot.

That’s me then! :laughing: I used to shop around but just can’t be arsed to bother these days, my van insurance was renewed yesterday and was actually £20 less than last year. I also saved another £30 by paying on line which was good. When I was with Direct Line a few years ago they offered new customers a big discount so I called them and asked why existing customers like myself didn’t get the same for loyalty, they told me to simply cancel my insurance and then reapply which I did and then I got the discount! :unamused:

Many years ago I got a quote from Saga for my Volvo 940 estate as I had reached a ‘certain age’ and they contacted me! :blush: It was a decent enough quote until I mentioned in passing that I towed a caravan, they said that a towbar was classed as an aftermarket fitment so upped the quote by almost £50! :open_mouth: I told them to stick it.

Pete.

I’ve got my Navara pick up and the wife’s Mondeo both with Cornmarket, been with them approx 10 yrs.
Wife’s car up for renewal this week, so I’ll get her on the case and see what’s said.
It was always cheaper than anybody else once over, but cheers for the heads up chaps.

Hmm seems to be a pattern developing.
Stu, m.a.n and Gidders not fans then :smiling_imp:

Odd that Saga tried to penalise you for the towbar Windrush, my Mrs is with them for her car (flying machine) and they could not be more helpful.

Be interesting to see how you get on Robroy.
Just an aside, have you heard about the trouble Navaras can have breaking their backs?, lots on youtube about it, seems water and salt get into the chassis just under the rear passenger cell and rot the chassis through unseen from the inside…not trying to worry you just letting you know they do have an issue which a bit of preventative action can stop in its tracks.

Juddian:
Be interesting to see how you get on Robroy.
Just an aside, have you heard about the trouble Navaras can have breaking their backs?, lots on youtube about it, seems water and salt get into the chassis just under the rear passenger cell and rot the chassis through unseen from the inside…not trying to worry you just letting you know they do have an issue which a bit of preventative action can stop in its tracks.

Yeh fully aware thanks Juddian.
It went back to Nissan for a re.call check, and passed with flying colours, then it was treated with oil and wax underneath, for the future.
I bought it about 18 months ago, off my eldest lad, it was an immaculate part ex at his garage brought in by his mate, I sold it to the youngest boy a few weeks later, and I then bought it back off him about 3 months ago…so I know much of it’s history.
Love it, even if it is a bit thirsty.
Cheers anyway.

Put the other car on Direct Line in the end, came in slightly more than Saga but no voluntary excess and protected the policy to boot, couple of little extras probably as its the 2nd car policy with them.

One interesting change, when you put our job in the tick box being a driver immediately takes business use off, which is otherwise automatically included on comprehensive DL policies.
That might be of note to any agency drivers reading this, many of whom don’t realise SDP and commuting only applies to one place of work!

Just sorted the other insurances out, Mrs car came in at £314, reduced to £289 guaranteed annual renewal price (assuming no incidents) for the next 3 years, Saga.

DL renewal £271, checked online could get it for £230, DL reduced to £221, job done.

All done for another year, next bill her road tax, £545 :smiling_imp:

edit, re rustproofing Robroy, just had a couple of 4 litre packs of ACF-50 delivered, be busy spraying that underneath and inside the chassis come the spring as i do every year, bloody dear stuff but does the job.

@Juddian…Update from my end…Wife recks Cornmarket was still the best offer. :neutral_face:
Now whether it was a case of ‘Couldn’t be arsed’ is uncertain, so reckon she’s due a ■■■■ good thrashing when I get home…non violent type btw. :laughing:

^^^ that’s the Clyst beer talking! You know she’d whup your ■■■ :smiley:

the maoster:
^^^ that’s the Clyst beer talking! You know she’d whup your ■■■ :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing:

Just renewed with Cornmarket today. In their email they wanted £232 so I went on GoCompare and got a quote of £173 from Hastings Direct with an excess of £45. So I phoned Paddy and told him he had to match that. I was expecting to have a bit of a fight on my hands after last year but after consulting his imaginary manager he said the minimum excess they could do was £100 but if I would accept that then the total premium would be £168. So I settled for that.

Well played Harry, wonder if the loss of so many Brit truckers has caused a rethink at’office?

Did you have to listen to that bloody infernal terms and conditions recording, which sounds like it’s broadcast from the radio set in Madame Fanny’s chamber pot above Rene’s Artois cafe :unamused: