Landing a plane

how many of you think you could do it? with no training like as of now

the scenario where the pilot falls ill and someone has to take the controls someone has to take the jump seat. nobody says yes but then its you? its on autopilot and surely your time on the roads is better than jack from the office

Yeah, P.O.P.

Dunno until the scenario comes up but if my life depended on it I’d give it a ■■■■ good go.

corij:
how many of you think you could do it? with no training like as of now

the scenario where the pilot falls ill and someone has to take the controls someone has to take the jump seat. nobody says yes but then its you? its on autopilot and surely your time on the roads is better than jack from the office

:open_mouth:
I’ll have a pint of (or a snort) of what you’re on mate. :neutral_face:

Make sure you put your card in slot 2 first and set it to other work after doing a manual entry

youtube.com/watch?v=lw6mjVIdbbc
Does that answer some questions?
At the end he explains that it took 20 minutes before ground/air comms were established. It`s a bit more complicated than rogering a rubber-duck or whatever CB-ers do.
And with current anti-terrorist rules how easy is it for cabin crew or passengers to get onto the flight deck? Look at Germanwings flight 9525.

Apparently it’s insanely difficult for a civilian to land a plane, even with ground crew helping them out on the radio. They put people in simulators and 90% or so crash. Also, the whole “the pilots have feinted, can anyone here fly a plane?” scenario have NEVER happened in aviation history

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

years back i was a passenger on a bus when the driver almost nodded off, everybody including me was thinking,can i grab the wheel at 60mph ?and bring this weaving coach to a stop. i wasnt put to the test as he woke up/opened the window. this has kinda bothered me ever since,i mean i didnt get up ,i believe hed have actually left the road and we all killed because nobody had the bottle
this got me thinking about the plane scenario- if im honest id stay glued to my seat and itd plummet straight earthwards nobody at the controls .
id go on a hijackers course [if there was one] where you are trained to react more positively in emergency situations.

years back i was a passenger on a bus when the driver almost nodded off, everybody including me was thinking,can i grab the wheel at 60mph ?and bring this weaving coach to a stop. i wasnt put to the test as he woke up/opened the window. this has kinda bothered me ever since,i mean i didnt get up ,i believe hed have actually left the road and we all killed because nobody had the bottle
this got me thinking about the plane scenario- if im honest id stay glued to my seat and itd plummet straight earthwards nobody at the controls .
id go on a hijackers course [if there was one] where you are trained to react more positively in emergency situations.

Possibly, but then I did spend several grand on flying lessons years ago before running out of cash. And having have said flying lessons I have literally no idea why you think driving a lorry means you’re slightly better equipped to do this than anyone else! There are absolutely NO similarities

Easy. Just look around the control panel until you find the switch marked “autoland” and turn it on. :wink:

I guarantee you that I could indeed land a plane…

Whether or not anyone was left alive on it though is a completely different matter!

switchlogic:
Possibly, but then I did spend several grand on flying lessons years ago before running out of cash. And having have said flying lessons I have literally no idea why you think driving a lorry means you’re slightly better equipped to do this than anyone else! There are absolutely NO similarities

Is there nothing you ain’t done

spit the dog:

switchlogic:

Lots. My pilots Licence for one

Anyone who thinks they could land a plane without hours and hours of training is completely deluded
Have had a go at model planes and they are far from simple. Takes a lot of skill and practice and knowledge. Apparently helicopters are even harder.

switchlogic:

spit the dog:

switchlogic:

Lots. Got my pilots Licence for one

So you still fly then?

jakethesnake:

switchlogic:

spit the dog:

switchlogic:

Lots. Got my pilots Licence for one

So you still fly then?

Typo sorry, stray got. No, I ran out of money and never picked it up again despite plans to. One day maybe

Reef:
I guarantee you that I could indeed land a plane…

Whether or not anyone was left alive on it though is a completely different matter!

Ah yes, but I assume the original post didn’t mean just let gravity take over while sat at the controls :smiley: we could all do that!

I have a friend who is a senior captain for a very well known Britain based airline, he used to be on Concorde and now flies 747’s.
He’s a bit of a clever chap all things considered.
He has to go through a weeks worth of flight simulator testing and training every year to keep his standing and job. If landing a passenger plane safely was within the grasp of just anybody I wonder why they would have to keep to such rigorous standards?
Commercial pilots have to be trained and certified on any aircraft they may need to operate because the control systems are unique to each and every type and model.

If I was to suggest to him that truck drivers were more likely to be able to land a plane in an emergency because of some higher super power we have to ‘pilot’ a road vehicle he’d probably do him self an injury with all the laughing.

I e no idea where the OP got this idea from but I suggest he put it back in the bottle and seal it tight.

Was a tv documentary on how John Wildney landed a light aircraft at Humberside airport, after his friend collapsed and died at the controls. A helicopter was scrambled to assist him, and the instructor talking him down. The heli pilot can be heard on the radio saying " this doesn’t look good he’s never going to make it. "
Well worth watching if you can find it.

Edit. it’s on youtube

youtu.be/7acKva76tL0

They’ve all landed. Throughout the entire history of aviation they’ve never left one up there!

the maoster:
They’ve all landed. Throughout the entire history of aviation they’ve never left one up there!

Goodnight and thank you. :smiley: