Your Opinion NEEDED!

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to stop by and read this. Just before we go any further, I would like to point out this is a serious matter, not a wind up or joke, or something which is just a pipe dream.

Myself and family, are considering starting a truck stop. Over night parking, showers, food etc. This has come from me being a former driver (just had a baby, not driving no more) and my parents both being involved in the Haulage business for many years.

We are looking around the Midlands area, anywhere between Kidderminster and as far across as the Cathorpe.

Here’s where you all come in.

I would appreciate it if you can let me know where you feel there is a need for decent truckstop, also how much you honestly think parking should be (and don’t say free, as much as I know you’d like it to be!)
Also what would you expect for your money?
I know from experience, and keeping in touch that we all need somewhere safe, clean showers, decent grub etc but what I’m asking for is for a bit more information on what you would all really like, and what would make you choose a stop, other than it being near your drops.

Thank you for reading this, like I said this is a serious question and hopefully this will go towards the compilation of my business plan and to prove there really is a demand out there.

hi dizzy sounds like a good idea personally i would pay around £10 to £13 with a token poss either for shower or meal discount. I think alconbury was a good idea just needed to be alot cleaner. So long as the company reimburst the driver then it’s not too bad.

I don’t know about location cos I don’t go south, but a reasonable price would be around the £12-£15 mark with a meal discount and shower.
Food has to be good & fresh with generous portions, and an alternative to cow pie & chips would be welcome.
Good hard standing is a must, as is a decent nights kip, so banning trailer swaps and segregating fridges would be nice. :bulb: Arranging parking spaces so cabs face northish would be good, keeps the sun off the windshield.
Working CCTV, and a secure perimeter.
Gotta have free WiFi.

A brick [zb] house sized gay security bloke to ■■■■ anybody that abuses your facilities.

Heres goes then…

£10 a night for parking, shower thrown in.

Cheap, home cooked grub, meals have no need to be expensive…

Easy access, decent space and a ban on changeovers, drivers want a quiet a night as is possible. Possibly a seperate area for fridges, or leccy hook ups to keep em quiet.

Security is good, but not always due to cost and space practical, but CCTV covering the area is a must, must be infa red as well.

To me, good quality food, decent showers, kept clean, and a decent park will keep most happy. Try to cram too much in, and things go downhill fast, keep it as a family style truckstop, not a BP special. Profits may not be great, but you will always be busy.

Hard standing, Secure Parking(enclosed area,cctv, dogs and
security guards),Good food(british/contenintal);bar, internet
W,Lan hotspot,shop with all those items one needs when
on the road,also cater for the tourist traffic as well but
keep the parking area seperate , carvans, must park in
the truck park area and pay for parking, also coaches,
Seperate Parking for ADR/HAZ /Frigo loads; SEPERATE
Showers, and also a few Baths, these will pay for themselves worth
haveing, in the charge for the shower/bath isfree use of
a clean bath towel, charge say 2-3pounds, Washing /drying
facilities, fuel services with all fuels includeing LPG; GAS;
, plus red diesel, Cost of the parking 20pounds a Day
with a five pound voucher for the driver,if i think of any tthink else i will add to this list

Anywhere near the m6 and you’ll always be busy as for what’s needed nothing too flash good home cooked food, bar, showers in fact pay a visit to the stockyard to see how it should be done

Mr B:
Anywhere near the m6 and you’ll always be busy as for what’s needed nothing too flash good home cooked food, bar, showers in fact pay a visit to the stockyard to see how it should be done

This says it all, the Stockyard doesnt cater to the lowest common demonitator, it provides a decent service at a reasonable price,and most importantly in my view treats drivers exactly the same as every other customer in the pub… its a food serving pub that has truck parking. and its attitude and service reflects that.

For me it would be good some chill out area - not only the noisy cafe with radio or TV but some room with few sofas, ligts and quite music when you can sit with a tea and quetly talk with somebody or just read a book in comfortable place - not everyone have high roof cab and if the only alternative is a noisy cafe it’s not good…

I would have thought that being as close as possible to North/South & East/West major trunk routes as possible.

The M1/M6/A14 seems favourite.

Any sites available near J20 M1 perhaps just off the route to Magna Park :question: :bulb:

A spit n sawdust bar where we can have a good old fashioned punch up to relieve the stresses of the day.

Free parking…but must spend £10 in restaurant/shop…then show receipt on exit, no receipt then must pay £20.

good luck with your venture.
maybe have a nose round at the truckstos that have got it right, imho, orwell, chesterfield, and similar.

good secure parking, seperate fridge bays, a shop, for newspaers mags etc, cans of pop, lorry bits n bobs, bulbs, fuses, airlines etc.

if a place is good, i’ll hapily pay 10-15 quid, but would expect a voucher, for money off my meal.
the food has gotta be varied, and good portions. i don’t mind paying a fair price, but its gotta be good.
a bar would be a bonus, and the showers should be spotless, and have their own basin, for shaving. maybe have a full time attendant, like orwell.

Thank you for all the replies so far. I appreciate you taking the time out to answer.
We have looked around, as as I said earlier my time on the road hopefully gave me a very good insight into what works and what doesn’t, however it isn’t all about me, and obviously you all have various requirements. I had never thought of a “chill out” area, and this seems a good idea.
Please keep the responses coming, like I say this will be going towards the final business plan.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Dizzy.

i like the idea of the new one in calais with the electric fence :grimacing:

as been said before good food, good portions, good hot powerful clean showers with an attendent there. hard standing… no of that tackling the moon crap. a salad bar would be nice with fresh salad ( not curled brown lettice ). i would say £12.00 parking and 2 quid of the meal with a voucher. a shop selling fuses, bulbs, socks, soap and other essentials that a driver out for a few weeks could need.

what about some sort of wire mesh built into the tarmac that you could put an electric current through so that anybody who decides to ■■■■ beside their wagon gets an electric shock straight through the old " john thomas ". :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: .

dont go overboard with the shop selling tv’s and cb stuff just things that people need.

not too far from the motorway cos people are lazy and wont drive to far and will still park in the services.

In my opinion, Watling St truckstop just off the M1 has the prices about right for the meals. As others have said, £10-£12 for parking with a shower token or a couple of quid off a meal is about right and I agree about not selling pointless electrical gubbins UNLESS someone provides them for free and you get a percentage of the sale.

For costing, my mate sells a full breakfast in his cafe (inside an arcade and uses low prices to draw punters in) at £1.99 and makes a 250% profit on the ingredients in the meal. You can easily charge £4-£4.50 for a full breakfast and it’d not be seen as being expensive.

One thing to think of is renting parts of the site out. A local petrol station near me has a massive forecourt and a reasonable level of passing custom. I asked about putting a burger van on the forecourt and he was up for the idea and would charge me £70 rent per week. Maybe it’s something to think about if you find a site where there’s a part of it you couldn’t use it for parking wagons in for whatever reason but is a reasonable size that would go to waste otherwise. You could have a truckwash guy (like the mobile ones in MSAs) and a pallet company might be interested too.

What are the thoughts on a take-away service in the morning?

Ie. the night before you can order a pre packed salad/sandwich and pick it up in the morning to take with you?

Also, one for the ladies.
With regards to the showers, would the ladies prefer an entirely seperate block, or are you happy with individual “rooms” each with a shower, toilet, basin etc and a lock on the door but set out so there would be say 10 rooms in one area, like Alconbury? Or would a completely seperate area be preferred?

Also, for anyone who has stayed at Lincoln Farm, is the parking method used there preferred? Ie, drivers asked what time the are leaving and parked up accordingly, or just park where you want preferred?

Many thanks all.

Dizzy.

£10.00 max for parking, this should include the use of a decent shower.
Reasonable food pricing, not £5.00 for a meal, plus £1.00 for a slice of bread, and £1.50 for a brew. 50p for ketchup etc.
or you could just charge £18.00 including showers and one full meal. therefore johny foreigner would feel the need to use your facilities instead of getting his BBQ out.
oil sales by the pump, not by the container, so we can use fuel cards to get it.
commercial size washing machines and driers.

most importantly, POLITE STAFF.

just go and look at the orwell truckstop. this will show you how it should be done. simple as really. even though ive been off the road for 4 years now. i sometimes park my trucks up there at weekends and the drivers (hungarians) love it.

best truckstop in the uk in my and my drivers opinions.

And if it is to be open to all,then priority MUST be given to the truck driver.

I seem to recall a place years ago,where they had that on the entrance as you walked in.

For me,in no particular order:

Friendly staff.
Good working spotless bathroom area.(Showers,washbasins etc.)
A good variety of food and drink,including the healthy options.
Hardstanding parking area.
Good security,inc cctv. (A must to combat crime.)
Free internet/wi-fi
Seperate area away from the main truck park/sleeping area for diesel.(I hate being asleep and trucks passing through for diesel. :angry: )
Seperate fridge area.(Same as above.)
Plenty of bins so there is no excuse for people throwing litter about.
Seperate tv/dvd room.
£15-£20 to park including 1 meal with drink, (ala Chris’s cafe on the A40.) as I believe that companies SHOULD pay for the parking of their truck and the safety of the load.

It’s nice that you have taken the time to canvass people’s opinion Dizzy,and not just erected some souless place like an MSA,where the customer is an afterthought.

Good luck.If it’s done right,you could be onto a winner.

Ken.

Again, thank you to all those that have replied, we have been looking at some potential sites today.

Please to all those that have read and not replied, give me your opinions. This is really important to me and my family, and we need to make sure this is done right.

Many thanks

European truckstops and MSA’s have a very simple system to keep their washing facilities clean.
They employ a cleaner/ cleaning team, but pay minimum wages only. Often a contracted in cleaning company.
The cleaners wages are made up to a decent wage by tips. (Over there, the usual tip is 30 cents per punter)
After all, who is going to pay a tip to use dirty facilities??
This would have to be made clear to drivers using the facilities in UK, because it would be unusual.
As a result of this method of paying the cleaners, the facilities are almost always spotless. There is paper, soap, towels in all the dispensers. Showers all work, because the cleaner is waiting for you to finish, so they can tidy up after you, ready for the next punter.
I think most of the BP truckstops had good facilities, let down by very poor cleaning.
The ones I’m thinking of are the seperate shower rooms, with toilet, basin and shower.
This type of facility takes up a lot of building space. On the other hand, there’s no need for separate male and female showers

Thinking of the shower units themselves.
Don’t use normal household showers, with a hose and shower head.
They are too easy to nick. (Why anyone would nick it I don’t know, but they do).
Use a built into the wall system, with a power and a temperature control coming out of the wall at waist level and a wall mounted shower head.