What makes a good truckstop/cafe

As the title suggest’s…

What are the things,you as a professional driver would like to see in a modern 21st century truckstop…and what is a fair price to pay for those things… :wink:

There we have the problem ,we dont want to pay!!

Clean showers/toilets for a start that are regularly checked and cleaned if need be, more so the shower :unamused:

Food/price wise?? Well if Mcdonalds can give you a good feed for £4.50 then im sure these services can make something up for a similar price. Usually a good truckstop is exactly that and want whats best for the driver and not set out to rip drivers off, some others are out to do the opposite.

Ecclefechan stop is a good example, £5 parking a night, same agin or little more for a dinner/drink and £1 for a 12min shower, facilities are poss a couple years old but its run by a HGV operator so he knows what drivers want/need and isnt set out to RIP people off.

a good truckstop is one that’s still open with food that doesn’t kill you and toilets that you don’t need to bath in bleach after using

24/7 food
and somewhere to wash
and asurance that your truck is safe where it’s parked cctv, security guards or what ever. or a regular patrol unit
:smiley:

im only 16 but from previous experience while ive been out with my dad i think the things that all truckstops/cafe’s should have are clean facilities good affordable food and safe parking. ave been to some dumps where none of these applied

sam

Decent reasonably priced food, clean showers, its not hard (look at Orwell crossing) perhaps a bath would be nice, loads of parking and cheap to park overnight. a shop that sells plenty of stuff, (■■■■■■■■ dutch ■■■■ :smiley: :wink: ) fast fuel pumps, and security and a bar with sky

THIS is what the UK needs to aspire to.

Could have picked any truck stop from the Autohof Guide, but this one is just down the road from me, and in my opinion, one of the best in Germany.
10€ to park for the night, on hard standing, not a potholed covered mud bath, which is then deducted in full from the price of your meal.
Showers, washing machine and dryer, Wi-Fi, etc, etc…

Nowhere in the UK with the possible exceptions of Orwell Crossing, The Stockyard or Lockerbie, come within a million miles of the services offered at yer average Autohof.

Who won the war :question: :smiling_imp:

It would be a novel idea for a truckstop to open and take their profits from the great service they provide. A nice meal where drivers are queuing on the road to get in, so as not to miss the food, a safe 24 hour park where drivers do not have to sleep with one eye open in case of theft or damage.

How about using a decent contractor to build the parking area.

In return we promise to use the toilets and not ■■■■ on the tarmac.

As a driver myself i was just wanting to know what other drivers would like to see.

So in a nutshell,the majority of us drivers would like to see the following:

1:…A restaurant that is open 24/7 which serves good food(not just greasy breakfast type meals where everything is with chips)but wholesome sunday dinner type meals…ie Roast Beef/Chicken etc with fresh vegetables and yorkshire puddings…decent portions at a fair price with a free tea or coffee refill with every meal bought over a set price + the usual sandwiches,snacks and vegetarian selection.
2:…Spotless toilet and shower area’s that get cleaned and inspected regularly and don’t smell.
3:…Secure parking with floodlights and CCTV and security on patrol 24/7 and possibly electronic gate entrance/exit that has plenty of parking spaces and is on decent hardstanding or tarmac and somewhere where only the drivers that are on site can access the truck parking area.
4:…Bar/Entertainment Room with bands and acts on every now and then,Sky TV,pool tables and possibly a facility for Wi-Fi connection.
5:…A well stocked shop that is open 24/7 that sells everything that driver’s might need.
6:…Good fast fuelling facilities that are open 24/7 and take the majority of fuel cards out there.

If all of the above was available for say £12 per night and for that you would get a free shower and meal voucher and peace of mind safe, secure parking…would the majority of drivers use it or not.

But what about things that you dont normally get at the average truckstop…and would there be any call for it and would any drivers pay for it.
1:…Truckwash(drive through type)
2:…Sauna Room
3:…Massage (no extra’s) :laughing:
4:…Barber’s shop

The above are just suggestions please feel free to give any of your suggestions on what you would like to see.

i think truckstops should charge £15.00 parking on tarmac with free shower and dinner also chuck in a pint. let the gaffer pay for it. :wink:

I’d pay any truckstop 50p for that.

However, I think all MSA’s and truckstops should be nationalised and paid for through fuel duty and a £5.00 per day charge for foreign trucks using our roads.
They should have individual shower rooms, Not cattle stalls. Cleanliness is high on my list, I don’t like the setup at lymm when those immigrants chuck last weeks mop bucket water on the floor. Food should be cooked to order and be varied. Gym facilities would be a bonus. and plugins for fridges.

( derogatory remark removed ) jd

topboy trucker:
As the title suggest’s…

What are the things,you as a professional driver would like to see in a modern 21st century truckstop…and what is a fair price to pay for those things… :wink:

Quality,Price Good atmosphere, clean, and a good cheap shop for truckers only no CAR DRIVERS ALLOWED :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

No (stale or fresh) pee on the lav-seat …and finger-proof toilet-paper, please.

I try not to stop in any of the MSa’s in the uk as IMHO they are all ■■■■ holes, in germany the idea seems to be to provide a rest area with SERVICE, regular meals( not over fried ■■■■■■■ Showers FOC, laundry machines FOC, various other services :smiling_imp:

You only have to look at Gieselwind to find the Benchmark for a truckstop

well they were when i went to (D), over here in the UK it seems the idea is lets rip off the drivers, for as much as we can and give as little service (if any) as poss.

I am a bit choosy where I park/eat, nwadays i dont do nights out, unless i am on the Circuit work, then you mostly stay in hotels or at the circuit

So in answer to the original question:, SERVICE, has to be the first tick in the box for any business, 2nd has got to be products(food), 3 rd has got to be entertainment, if avalable

Maybe there is a niche in the market for Stobart!!! (they seem to do everything else) :grimacing:

A good hard standing parking lot would be good
Not tarmac but concret tarmac just sinks,
Depending on the size of the place if its BIG an extra loo block at the far end of the parking lot for them that cant wait the walk to the main building.
Bins so theres place to dump your junk.
Day parking for the driver that runs nights you know so you dont have a fridge parked up next to you in the day thumping away ( better still no running fridges) have a fridge hook up cheap fee’s though or all fridges off by 9pm.
Bays marked so that 4 wheelers can back to back and not take up an artic bay
Main Building
Toilets checked and cleaned regularly
Wash room showers checked and cleand regularly
Reasturant asorted fresh cooked food and heathy options ( salad’s and proper roast’s)
Well stocked shop not just truck stuff like some of the places.
Maybe a small launderett for the weekended
Lounge area comfy seating with wifi hook up and pos the odd computer for them that dont have laptops.
Outside area for smokers with seating and roof cover not just a shelter.

only a dream but if i ever won the lotto big thats what I’d build

Oh yeah no cars just comercial vehicles from the transit and up.
A point schem where after 10 overnite parking you get 1 free

Proper HP sauce (the colour is a right give away) then all other sins are forgiven! And why oh why do they try to con us by sticking a Warbys loaf in the window? I know Warbys from ASDA’s own!

A Helicopter to take me home :wink: :slight_smile:

I’m at Lockerbie right now for the first time in a very long while. I’d say that this place is near as ■■■■ it perfect. Thing I like to see is a healthy eating option ie salad which has been rather well prepared. Can’t fault it, off for a pint. :smiley: