What makes a good truckstop/cafe

All been said really.Definitely agree with some kind of carte fidelite scheme similar to many truckstops abroad. Ecclefechan,Lockerbie,Bannockburn,Smokey Joes & Orwell are all good examples. Quality food & spotless facilities are the main concerns & of course the respect they need to be shown from our fellow “proffesionals”. Unlike the Synseal driver (name & shame) who I was parked alongside at Leeming Bar recently,he left earlier than me but rather than walk 100yds to the facilities he left a little (actually it was quite large) deposit & half a toilet roll alongside my rear wheels :unamused: :cry: ,luckily I spotted it before I stepped in it whilst doing my walk round. It just beggars belief :cry:

A gym

it comes to somthing when we can only name 3 truckstops in the uk that would come close to the best europe can offer.having done some euro work the 3 truckstops mentioned have a striking resemblence to those in europe .this country will never have decent facilities for drivers its to anti truck.as for a chain of truckstops bp tryed and failed and knightowl aint no better than stopping on the msa,s.the best thing to cure the parking problem is to make all large ind est,s provide free overnight parking areas,heres a radical idea for ya. if a company ie blue chip cant tip ya within your hours then they should be made by law to let you stay overnight on their premises.alternativley if ya want to stop at a decent truckstop overnight get a euro job doing germany cuz theyve got the best :wink:

i never slept in here n there are a few pot hole but there is a truck stop on the a19 south of mboro n the food in there is pretty good stopped off there many a time for a quick half hr even not needed too :smiley:

Inselaffe:
THIS is what the UK needs to aspire to.

Could have picked any truck stop from the Autohof Guide, but this one is just down the road from me, and in my opinion, one of the best in Germany.
10€ to park for the night, on hard standing, not a potholed covered mud bath, which is then deducted in full from the price of your meal.
Showers, washing machine and dryer, Wi-Fi, etc, etc…

Nowhere in the UK with the possible exceptions of Orwell Crossing, The Stockyard or Lockerbie, come within a million miles of the services offered at yer average Autohof.

The Island Ape ^^^ has got the right idea… When any UK truck stop approaches the standards of even an average German truck stop, including the prices, we’ll be doing well.

Will it ever happen? No chance!

I would like to see a jail sentence for the bone idle lazy bar stewards that ■■■■ in the parking areas.
Why would anyone invest in decent facilities, whilst all the time the clientelle are mostly animalistic :question:

Bloody embarrassing it is…

Anywhere theres no lorry drivers. I prefer crumpet to middle age men. Eyeing up the talent as opposed to being near smelly, fat, tattooed rough types. Coach load of nubile school girls? Westmoreland over j38? No contest.

Proper food as in a sit down cafe with freshly made homestyle food, NOT fast food as Pilot truckstops over here seem to think, I usually park at a Pilot near a diner and walk to it, sorry Pilot but McDonalds, Subway and Wendy’sare garbage.
Clean showers, safe parking and well staffed registers, not 6 registers with one person serving and 4 others standing around talking.

just read in truckstop paper that THE FOX on a1 has poleand lap dancers tues thurs fri anyon ebeen and seen is it xtra :stuck_out_tongue:

Sean:
Maybe there is a niche in the market for Stobart!!! (they seem to do everything else) :grimacing:

Do Stobart drivers get paid for parking, as I have seen more than most parked in a layby close to a truckstop. Even at Lockerbie the laybys in the area are normally full of Stobart lorries.

extras at the Fox used to be upstairs, but they may have restarted it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep! Stobart do pay parking! I know they do have accounts at Carnforth,Jct 38 and the Hollies!
A lot of the lads/lasses in Laybys are either out of time or newbies IMHO or they don’t know parking is paid!

Wheel Nut:

Sean:
Maybe there is a niche in the market for Stobart!!! (they seem to do everything else) :grimacing:

Do Stobart drivers get paid for parking, as I have seen more than most parked in a layby close to a truckstop. Even at Lockerbie the laybys in the area are normally full of Stobart lorries.

extras at the Fox used to be upstairs, but they may have restarted it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good question Wheel Nut,
there is always a ESL tractor unit parked curtains closed on the big laybys on the A5 near Crick.
Surely they can’t be Crick based drivers claiming their night out money?
Life is just too short…

i also hear that stobart trampers spend the night in there own depots when possible

Inselaffe:
THIS is what the UK needs to aspire to.

Could have picked any truck stop from the Autohof Guide, but this one is just down the road from me, and in my opinion, one of the best in Germany.
10€ to park for the night, on hard standing, not a potholed covered mud bath, which is then deducted in full from the price of your meal.
Showers, washing machine and dryer, Wi-Fi, etc, etc…

Nowhere in the UK with the possible exceptions of Orwell Crossing, The Stockyard or Lockerbie, come within a million miles of the services offered at yer average Autohof.

Who won the war :question: :smiling_imp:

I totally agree but the €10 a night thing is the thin end of the wedge for our German friends.
Sometimes, I’ve only wanted a brew, a shower and 9 hours Zzz. It still costs €10… Am I the only one who can remember parking and doing change overs on UK MSAs for free?

Clean shower & toilet facilities

Good 24/7 food

Cheep & safe parking

Shops what don’t rip you off (£4.50 for a bag of crips & sandwitch)

No foreign trucks or drivers

The thing is, in our country it costs a fortune to do anything.
If you could make money from it there would be loads of truckstops all over, just look at Little Chef they are getting littler by the day!!! …and there are more cars on the road than trucks, .
, The Good ol Truckstop has had its day and I cant see it coming back, It just does not pay, look at the MSAs they are all a crock of ■■■■■ not a decent shower amongst the lot of them, they also all look very run down they are only there because they have to be!!!
So it does not matter how much we moan and say what we want unless somebody can make money doing it, it aint going to happen, yes McDonalds can do a meal for £4-50 but they are a HUGE multinational company with the buying power, they are not Joe Bloggs Truckstop!!!
So stop moaning about Drivers being ripped off, have a look at the price of things next time you have a wander around Tesco…
I can remember whem Alconbury openend and everybody thought that this was the way forward, unfortunately it did not make money…
Anyway I much prefer a quiet spot on my own with my own cooking…and my firm do pay for the parking…

No foreign Trucks or drivers…FFS :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: I’ll remeber that next time im parked up at Carrisio…or anywhere else in Europe…