Young Drivers

I passed my in February and since then I’ve been playing the fun game of trying to find a job. Being 22 years old I’ve found a lot of agencies won’t touch me because of my age (and they openly tell me this!) I’m curious has anyone else suffered this?

I know insurance companies can discriminate age and I also know that drivers under 25 are more likely to be involved in a crash but does this apply to HGV’s? I mean we’re professional drivers (though I know inexperienced) not yobbo’s hooning around in a supped up T reg corsa’s trying to impress chicks, are we really more likely to crash than someone over 25?

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome caz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

caz:
are we really more likely to crash than someone over 25?

According to the stats used by insurance companies - YES !!
I wouldn’t mind betting that they also consider an under 25 in a LGV as MORE of a risk because if anything did go wrong then the damage is likely to be greater.

It is UNFAIR as there are many under 25s who are much safer than many that are much older - insurances do things on generalisations and not on individuals - that’s life I’m afraid :cry:

caz:
I passed my in February and since then I’ve been playing the fun game of trying to find a job.

What did you pass in Feb, C or CE :question:
A few young CEs have recently got F/T perm jobs in the midlands area - which area of the UK are you :question: - Have a read of THIS

Good luck mate, I’m 24 now, been driving since 22 and getting a full time job is a nightmare. Go on agency is my advice because that way if they are desperate they will use you. Then when you prove to them you are good they will use you again.

Full time positions do discriminate horribly.

Good luck though

Alex

im 23, been driving trucks since 21, beena bloody nightmare trying to find a job and im still on agency, a class 1 shift is rare to me, a class 2 shift is even rarer for me. im currently stuck driving vans,

brilliant when u pay nearly 3k for a hgv licence that you wont get let out in an artic on agency, even though ive driven class 1 over most of europe.

lol

Thanks guys, you’ve given me a bit of a mental boost and I’m feeling a bit more optimistic now :smiley: .
Rog, Had my class 2 since Feb and Class 1 since May though I’ve driven them around off road for a while now (I went backwards learned class 1 then went to 7.5 tonner :laughing: ) and I’m in the Bedford area. Thanks for that link as well I’m off to find a printer and a petrol station

caz:
I’m in the Bedford area

Is that close to NDs place where other newbies have just secured CE perm jobs :question:

wait till they lower the age for driving an lgv many will be peeeeeed off.

Whats all this myth stuff there are no jobs … there are many jobs if you really want to work maybe not driving a truck …

But as they say beggars cant be choosy

Are you working yet ROG all your experiance surely you must be working ?

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
Are you working yet ROG all your experiance surely you must be working ?

No work for someone with my experience within commute distance unfortunately.
As you may have seen on the other funding thread - my jobcentre is not in a good area for free funding :angry:
The retraining I did a couple of years ago amounts to nothing - well, except laughs - you are how old with no experience !! - I keep looking though - never say die etc… :laughing:

And thank you for asking :slight_smile: