Yet again the big names exploiting workers

Seriously an “apprenticeship” in retail!!!
An apprenticeship working in a shop,earning almost £2.50 an hour!this is just tesco’s way of getting in some cheap labour!
An apprenticeship involved a trade in my day.
For those that didn’t know Tesco own One Stop.

I am all for genuine apprenticeships, that give proper training for recognised qualifications, but far too many employers are exploiting the ‘apprenticeship ploy’ to shaft youngsters in the same way the YTS and other Mickey Mouse schemes did.

You don’t need an ‘apprenticeship’ to stack shelves, work in a call centre or shrink wrap boxes onto pallets.

LIBERTY_GUY:
I am all for genuine apprenticeships, that give proper training for recognised qualifications, but far too many employers are exploiting the ‘apprenticeship ploy’ to shaft youngsters in the same way the YTS and other Mickey Mouse schemes did.

You don’t need an ‘apprenticeship’ to stack shelves, work in a call centre or shrink wrap boxes onto pallets.

^^ This

I had an apprenticeship once… At Leeds united football club :sunglasses:

It’s not just the big names, one of my lads got a start for a swimming pool company near Leighton Buzzard (I think). He was told it was on an apprenticeship scheme, and the work was labouring. After less than 6 weeks, he was no longer ’ needed '.
Subsequently, one of his mates got offered the same deal for the same company, and after a few more weeks, the same happened.
As for big names, my son also got stuck with the ‘work for benefits’ type BS, for Oxfam, in their MK warehouse.
Despite only claiming jobseekers, no housing or anything else, he was doing full time hours for his 60 odd quid a fortnight (or whatever it is).

An apprenticship should only be for jobs that pay what the posh’uns get.
£50k+ when trained.

That would limit “Transport” apprenticships to Fuel Tanker driving I reckon. :sunglasses:

Back in the 80’s, I did 6 years of YTS - Never offered a contract at the end of it (unless it was retail) so it was easily an exploitation of the workforce by multinational billionaire companies that “couldn’t possibly take anyone on unless subsidised by the government”.

Crooks! the lot of 'em! :imp:

About time we had the boot on the other foot I think… No more governments lickcocking companies that demand subsidies merely for creating minimum wage “jobs” which don’t even pay the interest on the credit cards issued elsewhere often by the same company…

Perhaps the first minimum wage of a created job’s value should be taxed at a high rate, then progressively lower rates as a firm creates higher paid jobs.

Each person taken off the dole at present, represents JSA LESS to pay out for the government, but many many times that in tax credits, housing benefit, and other “low income” benefits that must surely drain the taxpayer more and more per each minimum wage job created.

Either a HUGE raise in the minimum wage is warrented (anyone who can’t afford to pay it, doesn’t deserve to be in business!) OR corporation tax rises so the corporate spongers might get lost to other shores to rip them off instead…

Soap Box.jpg
I’m fed up with being a serf to robber barons - what say you?

Hang on…

tesco-careers.com/home/worki … nticeships

"This year we will offer 450 of our people the chance to train for an apprenticeship.

Our Retail Apprenticeship is a chance for Tesco colleagues to gain a nationally recognised qualification awarded by City & Guilds - it starts every September in selected stores and lasts 12 months."

So, they aren’t really exploiting anybody at all here are they as Tesco staff earn a decent amount above the minimum wage. It will work for Tesco because it gives staff that might otherwise be disinterested clock watchers a sense of purpose when they come to work.

In my short stint as a Tesco shelf stacker, the scheme of theirs you could most associate with ‘exploitation’ is the scheme for career progression. They’ll put anybody on it, even if they don’t have a hope in hell of ever being a manager, but milk someones new found enthusiasm for all it’s worth through extra responsibilities above their pay grade before eventually binning them off.

There’s young lads over kingswinford way in the cafe I’ve just filled my boots in doing an “apprenticeship in logistics”, 50 odd of 'em. Jesus, I felt like giving them a talking to about changing their tack but I suppose that would have gone down like a lead balloon, lambs to the slaughter.

Then there’s a sign in there saying tek an apprentice & we’ll pay you…

Why on earth don’t these lads learn a proper trade FFS?

+1
apprenticeships should be for proper trades
a day at tech to learn something

It seems the real thing being taught on today’s “Apprenticeships” - is how to claim as much from the government instead of the company as possible.
Meanwhile, said company has never had it so good in the “coroporate tax stakes”, nor it’s directors who pay bugger all tax on their offshore earnings, but still claim tax offsets on tax they didn’t pay in the first place for their so-called “Expenses” that the rest of us get told we can’t claim ourselves, 'cos it’s not legit!

Don’t get me started! :imp: :imp: :imp:

The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. same, same.

Sometimes these apprentices work well and have a proper career structures in retail.

I know my brother in law had an apprentice in retail when he was 16 for a year then jacked it in to work on sites in 2006.
He says to this day he wishes he had stuck at it.
As he bumped into another lad how was on the same scheme a few times and he’s on 35k year as shop manager.

Also my father in law done a type of retail apprenticeship 25 year ago he’s now on 45k year plus very good bonus system. He started off as a trolley pusher.

There is 2 sides to every coin mate.