Worst trucks ever

Just another interesting thread to bring back to life, memories of the good old days on this forum.

Any unit with a RR220 engine ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Bewick.

Anything with a steel cab :laughing:

Anything with EPS in it! Ro

AndrewG:

bigr250:

AndrewG:
A 354 at 24 tons! That must have been a real challenge :open_mouth:
Cant imagine that even being able to pull that weight even up a slight incline.
Anyone driven anything with an even lower power to weight ratio?

Just in case there is a missunderstanding here Perkins engine designation was as follows, 6.354 = 6 cylinder 354 cu inch (displacement) not 354 bhp.

Ross.

No misunderstanding Ross. I can see your point though when i mentioned the word power. I think these engines only produced around 110hp??

Andy :wink:

Between 110 and 150 horses if you got the all singing all smoking one :stuck_out_tongue:

Hiya,
Scania 80s, Volvo 86s and anything “Percy” engined.

I’d include the BMC Threepenny bit cab with the 3.4 diesel fitted.Surging all day and noisy. Regards,900x20. :frowning: :unamused:

Seddon Atkinson 200 with the International Harvester engine
one complete dog

finbarot:
one complete dog

Strange that, at Tilcon we had three 200 tippers and the engines gave very few problems at all yet a lot of folk seemed to have issues with them? I wasn’t keen on driving them, but then I didn’t really like driving ANY four wheelers but that was just me! :laughing:

I can’t actually think of a REALLY bad truck, none were (or are) perfect but then no such machine will ever exist anyway. I liked all the ones I drove for a living, all British built of course, each one had things I would have changed if possible but generally they did the job and made the gaffer and me some money! :slight_smile:

Pete.

finbarot:
one complete dog

The ones I was involved with had constant replacement engines under warranty for about two years, then the company folded due
to losing so much work because of the poor reliability of the vehicles.

“Bad” lorries got a bad name usually because they were used on the wrong job they were designed for or badly maintained or both. Just my opinion but worked on and drove most British lorries + scania and DAF.

Singo55, I agree.For instance some people hate Maggies.I thought they were brilliant. I wouldn’t want to go to Dubai in one but if you need to shift four loads of muck or skip waste a day that’s the tool for the job.But she needed to be serviced.Maintenance is, as you say the key. Diffs blow up, but how often did the diff oil get replaced?
I still hate Seddon 200s though.I never drove one but was an apprentice who serviced them for Ryder Truck rental,We had four charge hands.All old school , experienced types.When we had to do the post service road tests not one could change gear in the bag of ■■■■■■■■ was hilarious.It was like the PTO was engaged but it didn’t have a PTO!!The noises that box made.Loosened my fillings!!
Happy days.

Bang up to date and our 7 Merc 2645`s take some beating , i prefer a 10 year old Daf with no heater the Mercs are that bad. I have to take one on the saturdays i work due to Euro 6 only admission where we tip and i hate every minute of driving them . Cramped , gutless and the gearbox … Definitely a backward step. Back to 1989 and a Renault 290 GT was another dog

finbarot:
Singo55, I agree.For instance some people hate Maggies.I thought they were brilliant. I wouldn’t want to go to Dubai in one but if you need to shift four loads of muck or skip waste a day that’s the tool for the job.But she needed to be serviced.Maintenance is, as you say the key. Diffs blow up, but how often did the diff oil get replaced?
I still hate Seddon 200s though.I never drove one but was an apprentice who serviced them for Ryder Truck rental,We had four charge hands.All old school , experienced types.When we had to do the post service road tests not one could change gear in the bag of [zb].It was hilarious.It was like the PTO was engaged but it didn’t have a PTO!!The noises that box made.Loosened my fillings!!
Happy days.

You’re right about the sed atki 200 gear change we had a couple on local cheaper than ERF but changing gear was like stirring soup.Apart from that they did the job they were bought for.

The Big J with the 240 Percy in it,very dangerous because it so powerful! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

David

A lot of the problems with the Sed Ak 200 gearbox, just a standard constant mesh box but with reversed gearchange like its 'big brother the 400 of course, was that the nylon cup the lever dropped into/out of when tilting the cab wore rapidly or sometimes dropped out unoticed when the cab was raised. The 400’s had the same problem and we reguarly replaced them on service.

Pete.

Just to add the pre Alpha 3000 :laughing:

f7 then the g290 purely because being 6 4" they were a nightmare to get comfortable in and see out the screen, luckily only had these on spot hire whilst my motor was being serviced or mot’d… :angry:

Punchy Dan:

Oi Dan, as you well know I had two and there was now’t much wrong with either of them! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:

Punchy Dan:

Oi Dan, as you well know I had two and there was now’t much wrong with either of them! :laughing:

Pete.

Yes because there was nothing to go wrong . :laughing: