working nights

can anybody help me? I work nights. I start at 6.30pm and usually finish at 6.30am. A mate of mine told me i was breaking the law by working over 10hrs during the night? Is he right? Also somebody mentioned an opt out?? Whats one of those? Many thanks in advance.

Potter:
can anybody help me? I work nights. I start at 6.30pm and usually finish at 6.30am. A mate of mine told me i was breaking the law by working over 10hrs during the night? Is he right? Also somebody mentioned an opt out?? Whats one of those? Many thanks in advance.

For the WTD regulations, if you do any work from 00:00 to 04:00 (goods vehicles) you’re considered to be a night worker, as a night worker you’re not supposed to work more than 10 hours in the 24 hours from the start of the shift, you can opt out of this regulation if your company has a works opt out agreement.

See here for further details.

it’s part of the WTD to help night workers but as a company you vote out of it for a period of time, we had a vote at our company everybody voted against it but it miracously went through :cry: try asking your driver trainer…
stop laughing :laughing:

If you work between 00.00 and 04.00 you are restricted to working 10 hours maximum, unless there is an agreement between all the staff allowing an opt out of the night working agreement.

If you cannot complete a full nights work then that would be classed as unfair on burglars, prositutes and lorry drivers

Potter:

For the WTD regulations, if you do any work from 00:00 to 04:00 (goods vehicles) you’re considered to be a night worker, as a night worker you’re not supposed to work more than 10 hours in the 24 hours from the start of the shift, you can opt out of this regulation if your company has a works opt out agreement.

See here for further details.

As a night-trunker, we somewhere along the line, have conditions tagged on to our 10 hour maximum…although we never voted them in. :question:
It’s 10 hrs max unless there is an ‘unforseen event’…which in reality means the weather and breakdowns. And as we are reliant on changeovers…that means if the changeover-trailer has a problem, that affects my shift too.

So…we still can do 15 hours on a night-shift, say 10 hours shift and 5 hours for fixing a mechanical problem…even though the breakdown isn’t mine. :unamused:

it’s true yot can only work 10 hours as everybody says but the 10 hours only counts driving or other work so breaks and POA don’t count.