Night Work

Hi fellas if i start work at 3 am on a monday does that mean i am governed by the rules regarding nighty workers ?

Yes unless there’s an opt out in your contract.

For a firm to use the opt out, it has to be 100% of the workforce that’ve signed it I believe.

If you refuse to sign it at most jobs, they’ll just show you the door.

Yes you are governed by night rules. there is NO opt out in the RTD. A work force agreement can be put in place to allow for more than 10 hour working, but it has to be a majority choice, it can not be forced on you by the company.

but does that mean your govened by that for the whole week or just the day

bjd:
but does that mean your govened by that for the whole week or just the day

Just the shift. And note you can still do a 15 hour shift as long as no more than 10 hours of it is driving and other work.

Hi all, out of interest, do the rules relating to restriction of night workers hours apply to any occupation or is it just transport industry based■■?

If someone was to start at say 4am and finish at 7pm that night would that be legal? This isnt transport based so there are no concerns over drivers hours etc.

Cheers for any replies, and merry xmas to all. :wink:

bullitt:
Hi all, out of interest, do the rules relating to restriction of night workers hours apply to any occupation or is it just transport industry based■■?

If someone was to start at say 4am and finish at 7pm that night would that be legal? This isnt transport based so there are no concerns over drivers hours etc.

Cheers for any replies, and merry xmas to all. :wink:

In the regular folks flavour of the WTD there is something about the average amount of night work in a 24 hour period and I think it is 8 hours over a 17 week reference period. As long as you don’t exceed this 8 hour average over the period you can work more than 8 hours. I don’t think you could do 4am until 7pm though as under that WTD you are entitled to 11 consecutive hours rest in the 24 hour period, so maybe 4am 'til 5pm.