work situation

with members from all parts of uk on this forum whats the current work situation like for you.
are you finding it more difficult to find work, i know the weather situation is not helping.
with being in the constuction 5 8 wheel tippers ive just had 3 contacts terminated by a major quarring
company due to the fact my finance is finished with them,so they have to keep the lads with finance running i havent got a problem with that,except ive had to make 2 of my drivers reduntant and 2 trucks allready parked up so ive only 1x8 left running .
my 3 trucks 44ton tippers are just about working i was untill last friday subbing for an outfit who take a percentage they dont run trucks themselves on bulk only containers we were put off due to the fact that we wont run bent to meet their deadlines on grain etc according to them we are lazy ive only been in buisness since 1989 and got this far so far.i am applying now to work for grain companies direct.but dont know how much longer this crap with the country is going on for any ideas.

I’m o/d on tippers. Run 1 6x4, not on contract. The contracts have been going ok and I’m only picking up scraps that are ‘6-wheeler only’ jobs. Since Xmas, I’ve done 10 days work. When I say 10 days I’m out at 8 or 9 and back by 2 or 3. :frowning: Its been like that since mid-October, although strangely December was ok. This week the weather has been fine, i think N.Wales is one of the only areas not to be hit with bad snow and all I’ve done is 4 loads, 3 locals and one 40miler. I’m saving a hell of a lot on diesel!! :open_mouth: :wink:

I don’t envy you having to find work for all those trucks and its pretty scabby of the quarry to get rid of you just cos’ you’re trucks are paid for? Which quarry firm has done that, if you don’t mind me asking?

I live by three tarmac quarries.( Gore, Dolyhir and Strinds, near Kington ) They have been quiet since christmas. My next door neighbour is a loading shovel driver, he had two days at home last week due to no lorries to load, partly lack of work also due to the snow.
A lot of the Hauliers are feeling the pinch, and some of the newer owner drivers will go to the wall.

For me personally, Teesside is very quiet at the moment, though i only supply traction to companies. And it doesn’t help when certain companies change their name (‘pre-pack admins’ the posh words, theft i call it) and wander of with 6 or 7 thousand of your hard earned pounds. At least ■■■■ turpin wore a mask when he robbed yer. Its happened twice in the last 5 month and i’m a tad pi55ed off to say the least, but its ok, they’re still trading! It really does need to pick up soon tho.

Reading wrong forum , how did I get in here ffs. :confused:

Edited for talking ■■■■.

The works been dire at our quarry, they have 4 of their own trucks and since the january they have the 1st 4 loads on the book.I will remember though when their own boys dont want to do another trip on a friday afternoon and one of us O/Ds has 2 go.If theres 1 thing coming out of this slowdown its that I can manage on a bit[lot] less. It picked up today but on my 1st load going over some plates covering a trench they gave way and ripped the air tank off so that was me for the day. :frowning:

the quarry company i was contacting to is t/mac ive been with the company when it was wimpey a far better company in those days but there you are your only good as your last load .
frankley im not sorry as we bleeding money at mo like no tomorrow. i dont know how much longer we can survive in haulage im talking to a friend of mine who s farther started up in excess of 30 yrs ago
he s just lost over 65,000 pounds in bad dept how do you survive that in this climate,there does nt seem to be any light at the tunnel and im not expecting any for a long time .