Tippers Hard times ahead?

Talking to my friend who works for a big quarry firm , they had a works meeting , as from yesterday all there overtime is gone ,finished , he will loose £150 a week , other quarry outfits doing same and more , some on 3 day week , is this the start of bad times , as you know it always starts with the construction industry and then spreads , all togeather now MUMMMMMMY :cry:

Hard times are already here - we only rolled out 3 times this week and according to the TM,it`s worse for this coming week
:open_mouth:

I reckon most of us will be on the dole by Christmas,

we only run 3 tippers but 2 of them have been standing for almost 2 weeks now.construction site work has totally dried up,we are relying on the ballast yard to keep us running for now.1 local firm has already given their blokes their notices,20 blokes out of work.
hard times ahead for all of us i think.

Tippers, DIY stores, kitchen suppliers, timber and board product hauliers, brick and block carriers, insulation companies etc are all going to be affected.

Basically if you haul anything to do with building, you’re going to be in for a hard time for the next couple of years.

Conor:
Basically if you haul anything to do with building, you’re going to be in for a hard time for the next couple of years.

Got to agree with that.
I do relief driving for Mixer O/D’s + the odd bit of tipper work & I haven’t had any work for 4-5 weeks! Usually at this time of year I’m fully booked & actually turning work down.
I spoke to a couple of guys who I’ve worked for pretty regularly & they reckon that there’s so little work that it’s cheaper for them to park the truck up rather than pay me to do 2-3 loads a day.
Luckily I’ve got in with an agency on a fairly cushy number… way less than I can earn on mixers but some money is better than none at all.

overtime is off at most of the companies i work for.
everyone is tight as well at the moment…refurbs’s and that kind of stuff (replacing curtains on trailers etc)is off.

Our lot have taken 23 tankers off the road this week :open_mouth:

touch wood - ive managed to keep going. fingers crossed for this week.

At least the traffic commisioners will be happy.
No overtime, 3 day week, on the dole by christmas.
Just what they want an end to British transport.

Hard times?
Soft times more like it… any brick wall you care to name would likely be more comfy than most of the tippers I ever drove…
And that sofa at home… :smiley:

THE TEMPLAR:
Talking to my friend who works for a big quarry firm , they had a works meeting , as from yesterday all there overtime is gone ,finished , he will loose £150 a week , other quarry outfits doing same and more , some on 3 day week , is this the start of bad times , as you know it always starts with the construction industry and then spreads , all togeather now MUMMMMMMY :cry:

Even in recession some buisness’s boom. One that i can see that shows no sign of slowdown is China’s thirst for raw materials, specifically metal. There must be hundreds of truck loads a day come into Seaforth (and other docks) carrying scrap. Could your mate look at moving some of that stuff as well?

Mike-C:
Even in recession some buisness’s boom. One that i can see that shows no sign of slowdown is China’s thirst for raw materials, specifically metal. There must be hundreds of truck loads a day come into Seaforth (and other docks) carrying scrap. Could your mate look at moving some of that stuff as well?

our boss has done just that hes just brought 5 secondhand tipping trailers for hauling scrap steel as his other contracts have told him to take vehicles off them as they havent the work, so he’s saying the future is in recycling

the future is in recycling

Sounds like the queues outside these scrap metal recycling centres are going to get even longer and slower.

The trouble is I was talking to a scrap haulier and so many people
are getting into it the rates are being driven down.

in warrington,were all gettin recycling bins for plastic/paper/metal/glass.it all has to be shifted to recycle depots,or to docks for export to china etc,instead of being carted to the tip in a bin wagon,someone has to shift it?looks like future is in shiftin crap!

Talking to a P&O driver today he sayed they payed of 50 drivers last week !

Yea , Fallmonk , I was told the same last week :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

crikey ,this is all news to me , i didnt realise it was this bad , i think i,ll get a skip wagon, my mate is a shovel driver at quarry , on friday there were 10 lads working there, today (monday) theres 4,

A few days ago, one of the economic pundits on one business programme was reporting the lack of work for ‘ground workers’. Now if ground workers are being laid off, then footings aren’t being dug and ‘services’ aren’t being laid. Hence a lack of demand for concrete and gravel.

A few weeks ago we were on holiday in France and decided to do a bit of shopping in Lidl. Apparently Thursday is the day that they re-stock their centre ‘non-food’ section and all the ex-pat Brits flock there to explore the bargains. :smiley:

Anyway, today, passing a Lidl, we called in. On the shelves were some of the self same items that we bought in France only a few weeks ago, but at a significantly higher price. Orange juice. Same brand. Same quantity. Same packaging. Less than a Euro in France, but more than a pound here. :unamused:

Our two cats won’t be pleased. They’ve gone from gorging themselves on the bone of the remains of a shoulder of lamb yesterday, to some unpronounceable brand of dried food today. :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Sod 'em. If they don’t like it, our neighbour feeds them better. :open_mouth: