Tipper work

Ive been looking at different class 2 jobs and see that tipper work seems to pay pretty well, is there a reason for this ie the job is crap

I do tipper work(3 weeks now) I enjoy it, the only downside I can see is the bloody dust

My old man only ever did tipper and skip work, this is going back 15-20 years ago now, but he must have enjoyed it to stay doing the same line of work.

It depends on how the company pay, I.e per load or per hour. I’m per load so if I do a long load I get more. I have a mate who does class 1 and I’m on average £100 a week behind him so I’d say it’s bloody good.

Plus I work for a very small company, there is only 2 driver including me and it’s run from home so less overhead I guess

noney82:
I do tipper work(3 weeks now) I enjoy it, the only downside I can see is the bloody dust

Wait until the winter, then it’s all mud! It’s either mud or dust and very rarely anything in between! :neutral_face:

I dont mind the dust and mud if the pay is good :smiley:

newboy23:

You’ll never get rich driving class-2 tippers, but you can earn a good rate. The advantages are you’re in your own bed at night and not swaying away in some tin box in a urine soaked layby! Mostly the days will be shorter than general haulage as they are usually governed by the hours building sites/quarries/tips run and so on. You might occasionally do night work, such as road planning for example. This is a doddle and you’re usually finished in a few hours and on the firm I work for you’re still paid for a full shift!

One of the best things about the class-2 tippers is the “craic” you have with the other lads and lasses, especially if you get on a firm with a good bunch. You’ll soon get to know drivers from other tipper firms too, and where they all like to skive… cough cough, sorry… I meant to say park up for your snack and/or lunch!

Certainly beats ■■■■■■■ heavy cages on some 30+ multi-drop round! At least a tipper unloads itself, and someone else loads it for you! :wink:

Sir LANs-a-lot:

newboy23:

You’ll never get rich driving class-2 tippers, but you can earn a good rate. The advantages are you’re in your own bed at night and not swaying away in some tin box in a urine soaked layby! Mostly the days will be shorter than general haulage as they are usually governed by the hours building sites/quarries/tips run and so on. You might occasionally do night work, such as road planning for example. This is a doddle and you’re usually finished in a few hours and on the firm I work for you’re still paid for a full shift!

One of the best things about the class-2 tippers is the “craic” you have with the other lads and lasses, especially if you get on a firm with a good bunch. You’ll soon get to know drivers from other tipper firms too, and where they all like to skive… cough cough, sorry… I meant to say park up for your snack and/or lunch!

Certainly beats ■■■■■■■ heavy cages on some 30+ multi-drop round! At least a tipper unloads itself, and someone else loads it for you! :wink:

Some very true words there.

and don’t forget the bosses usually want their pound of flesh for the dosh they pay you…
some of the firms are a nightmare to work for whereas others are good.
I drive a grab tipper and wouldn’t want to go back on the rat run… I mean tippers…

What’s better about a grab tipper genuine question

ukweedkiller:
and don’t forget the bosses usually want their pound of flesh for the dosh they pay you…
some of the firms are a nightmare to work for whereas others are good…

Very true! I’m lucky as the bloke I work for doesn’t expect us to rush around. Sadly there are one or two drivers who feel they have to! It can get tiring trying to explain the intricacies of load work and day work! :wink:

It can get bloody boring.
If the job you are doing is close to the tip or vice versa, you can do many runs up and down the same bit of tarmac.
Just finished a job where I was doing 18 runs a day.
Make sure you have a decent radio in the cab.

Being on a small firm is great as you tend to get the more interesting jobs like house extensions, moving materials for local builders like soil from a job that’s starting, to a job of theirs that’s finishing. I also liked working for firms like agricultural contractors who out of season, would stone up farm tracks, lay barn floors, lay land drains etc. Smaller firms vary where they tip due to tipping prices. I did some temporary work for a local company, if the muck was stony, I took it to their yard to screen for ■■■■■■■■-same with as dug sand or topsoil. Really crap stuff went to a local tip, stuff in between might go to a farmer (like oversized rubble-free tip) or to a local quarry where they had better facilities to recycle it. Then I’d backload either for them or collect a load on our account and deliver to a customer of ours. Nice variety and I’d go there tomorrow if they offered me a job.
On the other hand, you could get on for a Hell Driver outfit…