Doing well ?

So there is news of doom & gloom all around us in the haulage industry.

Is anyone doing any good ?

Come on tell us, maybe people need optimism.

my vans are ticking over :cry: , but the trucks are busy :slight_smile:

We seem to be doing ok doing Palletline & General Haulage, just taken on about 5 drivers & I’ve been fairly busy since xmas. :slight_smile:

Oops, just realised this is in the O/D’s forum.

Gets paid and I can even put a little away now

Od’s and fleet owners forum ■■

My Upn side is flat out and at capacity. the International side is ticking over. Not poor volumes but not sparkling either.

A lot of folk just love to doom and gloom cup half empty and all that. I am doing alright with my solitary tipper but it could be better :smiley:

Yes

I’m earning a living, the truck grossed about 10% less in January than it did in November and December but that wasn’t wholly unexpected. I see no improvement in the general economy though and no above-inflation rate rises for hauliers on the horizon.

6 subcontractors on Monday ,no one wanted me Tuesday ,typical of January!

Business ticking along nicely at moment as an OD with one artic bulker. I subby to the same firm all year round and have made healthy profits in each of my 2 year ends since starting up in November 2011. Invested my harvest money into a brand new trailer in October and will be looking at replacing the unit in next 6-10months.

As always, things could be better but im certainly not complaining.

super thanks and well done to ye all

Good luck this year,

Even though it’s only a few its between ok & good news :slight_smile:

Im doing alright, but to be honest I’ve always done ok, I’m one of those fall in poop come up smelling of roses kind of guys.

(I once bought a scrap ■■■■■■ van for £50 as I needed a gearbox, funny thing is it had £350 in the glove box and a full tank of diesel)

my walking floor is going flat out, and my general haulage truck is doing okay but not breaking any records much the same as any other start to the year

You can always get busy, for example, if it floods there’s work delivering sand bags but, everyone can see a lot people haven’t got money to throw around and this filters back to less stuff needing to moved around.

We do a bit of work moving, what can really only be described as rich folks play things around. When you don’t get the call you worry someone’s taken the work but I know it’s been the case the stuff hasn’t been moved this January at all.

Surprisingly good month,back to work on the 6th of Jan first few days a bit quiet(sites/tips under water,plant off hired for Christmas etc but soon got up and running(London/SE area)

I’m not an OD, the company i work for are doing well, not because of a better economy, but good decisions, investment, and good sales, and hard work by most of the staff.

Agree with Harry Monk, i don’t see any general improvements either.

I suspect the tory supporting media are encouraging govt propaganda about the economy, there’s two elections coming up shortly, European this year and General Election next year…this talk of a better economy could prove to be the biggest con of all in three or four years time when inflation and increasing interest rates bite hard on people already borrowing more on the good news that things are on the up.

Don’t see how the economy can be classed as improving when government borrowing (which we, not they, will be paying back for decades) is still increasing as is the national debt…and we’ll be giving away £11 billion in borrowed foreign aid again this year, amazing.

Juddian:
I suspect the tory supporting media are encouraging govt propaganda about the economy, there’s two elections coming up shortly, European this year and General Election next year…this talk of a better economy could prove to be the biggest con of all in three or four years time when inflation and increasing interest rates bite hard on people already borrowing more on the good news that things are on the up.

Yes, the Tories really are doing everything possible to kick the can down the road one more time, and as you say it’s all about the upcoming elections.

Anyone buying a house, or borrowing money against their house right now is in for a very nasty shock post-2015. House prices at record highs, interest rates at record lows due to artificial manipulation but slated to rise as soon as the US Federal Reserve raises theirs, wages falling and destined to keep falling, it really is not a good mix for the average Joe.

Lord Loopy:
Yes

I Gather you have moved on from Sealane then? Back on the Fridges?

I’m doing as much as I can, 95% my own work! looking for a second motor , I wish it would go quiet so I could put the thought out of my head !