Will it be time to sell her off?

My 54 reg Foden is off the road with what appears at best to be a water pump gone or injector seals given up, at worst the engine’s gone ■■■■ up (Caterpillar). According to workshop, it’s had a major breakdown every year for the past 3 including gearbox bearings, rear diff broken, clutch bearings, gearbox mounting bolts sheared, header tank and some other things. Is it’s days numbered? Hope not as the alternative seems to be a Daf with As-Matic transmission… :frowning:

Well I reckon that it’s DRIVER’S days should be numbered, treating a Foden like THAT! :laughing:

Pete.

It’s had a lot of major driveline components replaced, if it were mine I’d keep it, whatever is wrong with the engine sounds like you’ve got to get deep inside to fix, that’s a major part of the cost of a rebuild that you can’t avoid, so while it’s in bits I’d do a cylinder kit on it too, maximum return on the money it costs to take it apart :wink:

windrush:
Well I reckon that it’s DRIVER’S days should be numbered, treating a Foden like THAT! :laughing:

Pete.

It is somewhat embarassing when some of the others are ragged and still running fine :blush: :laughing: I forgot to mention the umpteen ABS faults aswell…

Definatly drivers fault :laughing:
To be fair though mate I take it you run at max weight most runs? Bound to take it’s toll over the years, not like a truck that’s on palletways with 300kg pallets here and there. Also it could have been ragged to hell while u was off making babies!!

Looks like it was built on Friday, one of those short ones, as was good tradition in the British motor industry…
Now you need to make up for that

Foden’s don’t die, we just stop repairing them.
Another one maybe gone forever. :cry:
Lets hope not.

HomoFaber:
Looks like it was built on Friday, one of those short ones, as was good tradition in the British motor industry…

A lot of people get that the wrong way round.Friday ones were payday ones in the days of weekly cash wages and every one was happy at the end of another week of being shut up in a factory.It was the Monday morning ones that needed watching out for. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Hi Nathan , if you washed the old girl abit more she would have l hope last longer . :laughing: . Bet your dads is washed every week with out fail .?

Carryfast:

HomoFaber:

A lot of people get that the wrong way round.Friday ones were payday ones in the days of weekly cash wages and every one was happy at the end of another week of being shut up in a factory.It was the Monday morning ones that needed watching out for. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Are u sure?? I thought it was Friday ones for the reason you said, payday and everyone wants to get a bench in the beer garden down the boozer!!

JAKEY:
Hi Nathan , if you washed the old girl abit more she would have l hope last longer . :laughing: . Bet your dads is washed every week with out fail .?

Dad washes his the day before the 6 weekly service, mine’s done about once a week or once a day when work’s slack and I need to look busy…
It’s the water pump that’s gone, they were waiting for the parts people to send one over. I’ve got 3 days off (which means the whole week) next week so they’re going to do it then. The spare one I’ve got now is a bit of a rough 'un which might explain why it’s regular driver now has one of the new AsMatic Dafs.

let her go pal,she`s had enough :cry:

I presume its a C12,water pumps are a bit of a common fault,they will carry on a fair time if they are only weeping though. I cant think that there any thing made now that is as good at the tipping job as the Alpha.
Came in a bit late tonight and my 2 08 Mans are parked together 1 has been over filled with fuel and theres a bit leaked out of the cap onto the yard and the other has got coolant under the motor, what a sight. Is that what jerry built means?

Yes, C12 345bhp. Pulls like duck on the tip and on the road although top speed only about 54ish. 9.5mpg beats the Volvo FEs that were bought to replace some C10 engined 4000s by almost 2mpg. They’re not going to sell her yet but if our work stays as busy as we are then it could be gone at 8 years meaning I’d have a year left on it (ours’ normally do a year or so as yard spares before going)