Foden RIP

:frowning: Heard saturday Fodens are to finish production in august 2006, now to most of you with your fashionable trucks its no great shakes but to some of us tipper guys who like a good payload with high horsepower its a real bummer.They think that most Foden customers will buy Dafs but i’ve got a 75/360 about 11 months old and the dealer and manafacturer have been rubbish so it looks like i might have to soldier on for another 12 years keeping these fodens going till i retire.

it’s a great shame, the end of the brittish truck builders, although in my opinion both foden and erf shot themselves in the foot by making their parts as expensive as foreign makes.

Is this confirmed info or still just a rumour at this stage??

I can’t find it anywhere i.e. The Insider, etc.

Anyone know for sure?

marcustandy:
Is this confirmed info or still just a rumour at this stage??

I can’t find it anywhere i.e. The Insider, etc.

Anyone know for sure?

Paccar put out a press release saying it is considering ending production to free up production line space to build more daf’s

paul b:
it’s a great shame, the end of the brittish truck builders.

What about Dennis & Multidrive who both make a good product.

Also there piznauger (sp?) in Guilford but that a bit specialized

i was thinking in terms of mass produced vehicles, at the end of the day once it got to the point where parts and service were as easy to obtain for the likes of scania and volvo there was no incentive to buy brittish.

Its Confirmed now, :open_mouth:

Double page spread on the topic in Commercial Motor this week

As it states in CM Fodens are stoppped being built to make way for more LF 7.5 tonners but to my way of looking at business isnt it better to sell a thousand heavy trucks a year every year than knock out thousands of them LFs to large fleets who will probably by Man Iveco or anything that cuts a good deal next time.When Paccar took over fodens 25 years ago they sold a lot of trucks on the loyalty of their customers but Mark Piggot (CEO PACCAR) has not shown the same loyalty to his dealers or customers.Ijust hope that every dog has his day :frowning:

get a hino :laughing:

Good …another heap of crap bites the dust…never knew how to build a motor in the first place…steering …suspension…all bad build problems…they built the truck them forgot to seat the driver…so crammed him in wherever they could.
they never kept up with the competition…same as erf.(same family)…but there you go…only good point…and a good selling point…was the ■■■■■■■ or kat engines…and of course the door…you were able to get out at the end of a hard dfays work…this time i wont offer my condolences

R.I.P.

Got to agree with trucky on this one though

Got to disagree with you trucky,the latest offerings from Foden are as good as any thing about .How about a 6 wheeler insulated tipper, 12 litre CAT jake brake 12 speed box up to 450 ponies and a payload of 16.5 tonnes see if your arrogant dutch,swedish or german manafacturers can make one.I agree that in the past the cab comfort has left something to be desired but the engineering side of things has always been up there.ERF(MAN) are putting a 7mm thick chassis on their 8x4 while Fodens fit a 10mm plus a 6mm insert which would you rather be tipping 21 tonnes with?

it’s the same old story a lot of people including a lot of drivers can’t see beyond the badge on the front of the cab, it’s a sort of street cred thing!
as you say foden, especially on the rigid side, make bloody good trucks!
wonder if once this news is common knowledge, you’ll be able to pick up a bargain?