Where is the class 2 work? :evil:

I’m getting seriouly sipped off with this. I’ve just spent best part of £1400 (thanks to failing first attempt) to get my licence, and now I can’t find work…

what is the ■■■■■■■ point… has class c work always been thin on the ground, 'cos I see plenty of bin lorries, freezer wagons, builders merchants, plant movers ect. etc.

Is the lack of work because of the influx of eastern europeans?

niall_y:
Is the lack of work because of the influx of eastern europeans?

More than likely.
It costs a fraction of what you paid, for them to buy a licence in their own country without sitting a theory/practical test or even a medical.
How do I know,because one told me. :wink:

Hi niall_y,

When I passed my C licence I was looking to see what work was available earlier this year and was dissapointed in what I found. I was like you and thought I’b be sorted for work. My intentions was to pass my C+E straight away so I didn’t attempt to apply for any C jobs. tbh there wasn’t much to apply for at the time so things obviously havent changed. I hope you get sorted mate.

Nige

When I passed my Class 2 back in May I applied for a few jobs, a lot were only taking experienced drivers but I got a few application forms and one interview, nothing came of the interview and I kinda changed my mind and didn’t bother filling in more than 2 applications because the money being offered seemed ■■■■ poor for what my licence cost me (£6.50-7.50 an hour or 17-18K Salary). The jobs in general looked like very long hours and lots of manual handling etc, combine that with the added responsiblity of driving an HGV over a 3.5t van and tachograph/WTD regulations I can’t see how they justify paying 50p an hour more than vans.

Anyway, I just thought sod it, and carried on to do my artic there and then, seems to be a lot more artic work than rigid, better pay and a lot of job descriptions don’t specify experience like rigid jobs do, maybe it’s because artic drivers are thinner on the ground. I was lucky enough to find 2 possible permanent jobs within a week of passing my test, very rare I know, but it’s obviously possible. A friend in a similar situation (recent pass on both Class1/2 and only 7.5t experience) has managed to land a job driving wagon n drag not long after passing his too.