What would you do?

I started a new job yesterday, my first day was also my last. The tractor unit used to have a hiab on but for this company they’d taken it off and moved the fith wheel forward (bolted) this left the catwalk steps under the trailer and no way of getting to the lines unless you climbed up the fuel tank. I spoke to a few people (boss, Mechanic, drivers) me and it didn’t seem like access to the back of the cab was high up on their priority. So I jacked before I fell off. What would you guys have done?

Oh. My. God.

That is all.

caz:
I started a new job yesterday, my first day was also my last. The tractor unit used to have a hiab on but for this company they’d taken it off and moved the fith wheel forward (bolted) this left the catwalk steps under the trailer and no way of getting to the lines unless you climbed up the fuel tank. I spoke to a few people (boss, Mechanic, drivers) me and it didn’t seem like access to the back of the cab was high up on their priority. So I jacked before I fell off. What would you guys have done?

Tbpfh I’d have done the same. ■■■■ that ■■■■ ! :angry:

Climbed up the fuel tank, certainly wouldn’t have jacked in over it

This is a wind up yeah?

Coffeeholic:
This is a wind up yeah?

I was trying to decide if this was a wind up but didn’t want to be the first to suggest it!

I am assuming here that there were no steps attached to said fuel tank nor embedded in it ?

Sorry I should have said I’ve already ■■■■■■ the cartlidge in my knee. No steps in fuel tank no brackets or handles just shiny aluminium

caz:
Sorry I should have said I’ve already [zb] the cartlidge in my knee. No steps in fuel tank no brackets or handles just shiny aluminium

I’d have walked then too if they weren’t prepared to do something about it. Not sure what everyone else’s comments are about but I get the impression that they don’t see the problem. :open_mouth:

Rob K:

caz:
Sorry I should have said I’ve already [zb] the cartlidge in my knee. No steps in fuel tank no brackets or handles just shiny aluminium

I’d have walked then too if they weren’t prepared to do something about it. Not sure what everyone else’s comments are about but I get the impression that they don’t see the problem. :open_mouth:

Cheers :slight_smile: I’m fairly new to this general haulage lark It’s nice to get some proper answers than just being figuratively ■■■■ on.

Depends how desperate I was for the job really.

But the answer would be to split couple

caz:

Sounds like you did’nt really want or need the job. How many times a day or week were you expecting to have to swap trailers if any? Or did’nt you stay long enough to find out?

If it was a good job with good pay no way would i have walked. I would have tied a strap to pull myself up.

look on the bright side there are probably a few people waiting to take you place, if you ain’t got a problem with picking or choosing your jobs then look for another one, no one is going to force you to work for a company!!

but i wouldn’t of jacked if i liked the job i would of found away around the problem. but from what you have written you didn’t even give it a chance, so it was probably best that you jacked :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Not that desperate, tbh that was just the clincher I wasn’t impressed by the general standard of maintenance. I’m used to broken things being fixed and not having to share lense covers with other trailers. I never thought to split couple but I think the steps would have still been under the trailer as they were right next the the 5th wheel. I will remember that though its a good idea :slight_smile: thanks

Sounds like you did’nt really want or need the job. How many times a day or week were you expecting to have to swap trailers if any? Or did’nt you stay long enough to find out?

I did 7 that that day

There are things to consider particularly regarding health and safety.

In my opinion you should not have to split couple, I know sometimes it cannot be avoided.

Should you really have to climb on the tank, not the safest of places to be, just a capful of diesel on it and it becomes like an ice rink.

Also it seems that the company was not the best to work for, albeit a quick initial impression.

Overall walking was probably best as you could afford to do that.

Rob K:
Not sure what everyone else’s comments are about but I get the impression that they don’t see the problem. :open_mouth:

Probably something to do with jacking a job after one day because there are no catwalk steps seems a tad melodramatic. To me anyway.

is that it…serious.

lol

how about driving a truck that has very little clearence between the trailer and the unit to get the 5th wheel clip out of…which ends up taking 10 mins to get out because its a pain in the flaming ■■■,

now times that by 5 in one day?

would you jack that?

gogzy:
is that it…serious.

lol

how about driving a truck that has very little clearence between the trailer and the unit to get the 5th wheel clip out of…which ends up taking 10 mins to get out because its a pain in the flaming ■■■,

now times that by 5 in one day?

would you jack that?

No because thats not really an issue is it? Thats a minor irritation that might cause you to scuff your fingers. I’m talking about the risk of falling comparitive to the need of job security.

Henrys cat:
But the answer would be to split couple

That’s what I was thinking. Seems a bit of a non issue with a really simple solution to me.

caz:

Made sure trailer brake was on, backed up to trailer, attached suzies, got back in cab, reversed right under and coupled up - commonly known as split coupling. What you had to put up with is no different to what every single fridge driver does.

To say you were stupid for leaving is an understatement.