What would you do?

gogzy:
is that it…serious.

lol

how about driving a truck that has very little clearence between the trailer and the unit to get the 5th wheel clip out of…which ends up taking 10 mins to get out because its a pain in the flaming ■■■,

now times that by 5 in one day?

would you jack that?

I’ve been in that situation and i can tell you it’s a ■■■■■■■ ball ache lol

Conor:
Made sure trailer brake was on, backed up to trailer, attached suzies, got back in cab, reversed right under and coupled up - commonly known as split coupling. What you had to put up with is no different to what every single fridge driver does.

To say you were stupid for leaving is an understatement.

So how do I get on the back of the unit? the steps would still be under the trailer just at a different angle.
Don’t call me stupid or imply the same.

OMG, No Catwalk Steps. :open_mouth:

Drama.jpg

I think id have done the same as you Caz,i find my instincts are usually right and if that was the sort of 1st day id had i probably wouldve thought; was it likely to get any better with the bosses attitude towards the safety on the steps,no,so sod it im off.
Trouble is drivers do put up with it and thats why they dont do anything about it,good luck with your next job.

Touché. Are you going to tell me a story about going going over shap now in an ol’ atkinsons black night like all the other care home dodgers do?

caz:

Conor:
Made sure trailer brake was on, backed up to trailer, attached suzies, got back in cab, reversed right under and coupled up - commonly known as split coupling. What you had to put up with is no different to what every single fridge driver does.

So how do I get on the back of the unit? the steps would still be under the trailer just at a different angle.

The steps wouldn’t be under the trailer because you don’t back that far under before attaching the lines. Also the unit and trailer would be aligned exactly as for normal coupling, just not as close together.

Coupling, you back part way under, leaving the steps clear. Attach the lines then go all the way under and bite the pin.

Uncoupling, you put trailer brake on, pull the pin, move forward until the steps clear the trailer then uncouple the lines.

Simple, and a manoeuvre performed by countless drivers, especially fridge drivers and fat blokes, each day. Also one of the three ways to couple a semi-trailer recommended by the Health & Safety Executive in conjunction with, and after extensive testing, the Road Transport Engineers Group.

Coffeeholic:
The steps wouldn’t be under the trailer because you don’t back that far under before attaching the lines. Also the unit and trailer would be aligned exactly as for normal coupling, just not as close together.

Coupling, you back part way under, leaving the steps clear. Attach the lines then go all the way under and bite the pin.

Uncoupling, you put trailer brake on, pull the pin, move forward until the steps clear the trailer then uncouple the lines.

Simple, and a manoeuvre performed by countless drivers, especially fridge drivers and fat blokes, each day.

Thanks, sorry for some reason I’ve always assumed that the plate would need to be under but I get it now :slight_smile:

caz:

Coffeeholic:

Simple, and a manoeuvre performed by countless drivers, especially fridge drivers and fat blokes, each day.

Thanks, sorry for some reason I’ve always assumed that the plate would need to be under but I get it now :slight_smile:

Just make sure the trailer brake is on before doing either of the above and you are good to go.

Coffeeholic:

caz:

Conor:

Simple, and a manoeuvre performed by countless drivers, especially fridge drivers and fat blokes, each day. Also one of the three ways to couple a semi-trailer recommended by the Health & Safety Executive in conjunction with, and after extensive testing, the Road Transport Engineers Group.

Bit hard on fat boys there Mr Coffee :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
Just make sure the trailer brake is on before doing either of the above and you are good to go.

Yeah that would be an interesting conversation :slight_smile: thank you for the advice I appreciate it.

tootman318:

Coffeeholic:

Bit hard on fat boys there Mr Coffee :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The truth is often painful to hear, sadly. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

We have one Volvo FM unit where the clip that holds the side air deflector is broken and it has been cable tied shut. Unless we split couple I have to get my co-driver to do it as he is Jamaican and lithe and I’m Scottish and, well, err, not lithe and I can’t fit between the deflector and the trailer headboard. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

caz:
Touché. Are you going to tell me a story about going going over shap now in an ol’ atkinsons black night like all the other care home dodgers do?

Carehome or not, how are you going to get onto the trailer or onto the load without a legup?

It just seems a silly thing to leave a job over, didn’t you know what you were driving when you started?

SOLUTION: Tell em, might fall off, “nah mate yer won’t”. Then “fall” :wink: :wink: :wink: . Walk (out in an ambulance) and then take em to the cleaners. Jobs a good un and maybe next time they will take the drivers “problem” a bit more seriously. Their leaving themselves wide open with a “setup” like that, IMHO. :unamused:

Wheel Nut:

caz:

Carehome or not, how are you going to get onto the trailer or onto the load without a legup?

It just seems a silly thing to leave a job over, didn’t you know what you were driving when you started?

Normaly the sideguards or tail bar or anything you can get a foothold on. No I had no idea first time I saw it was when I turned up to start. Yeah maybe it is a silly thing to leave over which is why I asked the question. But to me I don’t want to put my saftey over money I’m 24 and I’ve already got hurt doing this job I don’t want to make it worse. Would most drivers put up with it is what I’m asking.

Redrorry:
SOLUTION: Tell em, might fall off, “nah mate yer won’t”. Then “fall” :wink: :wink: :wink: . Walk (out in an ambulance) and then take em to the cleaners. Jobs a good un and maybe next time they will take the drivers “problem” a bit more seriously. Their leaving themselves wide open with a “setup” like that, IMHO. :unamused:

And then we end up with even more H&S ■■■■■■■■ than we already have, most of which is nothing to do with either H or S.

How are they leaving themselves wide open when there is a simple, H&S approved, solution to it? The only driver’s “problem” here is the driver, as someone relatively new to the industry I assume given his age, hadn’t heard of, or been shown, split coupling.

It seems that all the ‘yes’ men and stuck-in-the-drifts-on-Shap rufty-tufty trucker brigade don’t see any problem with it :unamused: but considering it’s a 30 min job to weld a few bits of steel together to make a little ladder and they can’t even be arsed to do that then it sounds like you’re better off out of there anyway, especially with the other maintenance issues you mention. Guess it depends how much you need the job. You could do the split coupling like Neil and others have said, but it’s not something for a newbie to be doing and you need to have your brain engaged at all times when doing it because one wrong move could result in serious injury or even death.

Up to you but I wouldn’t do it personally, unless it was exceptionally good money :sunglasses: .

@ Neil, I believe ‘he’ is actually a ‘she’.

Rob K:
@ Neil, I believe ‘he’ is actually a ‘she’.

I don’t see gender, I just see drivers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

Redrorry:

And then we end up with even more H&S ■■■■■■■■ than we already have, most of which is nothing to do with either H or S.

How are they leaving themselves wide open when there is a simple, H&S approved, solution to it? The only driver’s “problem” here is the driver, as someone relatively new to the industry I assume given his age, hadn’t heard of, or been shown, split coupling.

I climb up and jump off the back of my wagon all the time, but I don’t have a gammy cartilage. He probabaly kept it quite during the interview and who would blame him. Probably felt “bummer” when he realised out of umpteen million artics he doesn’t have stepped/handhold access to the walkway.

Yes I know about split coupling but am paranoid about being between trailer and unit no matter how many times I think I’ve applied the hand and trailer breaks. I had quite a tight fridge swap but being 5ft 7in managed to get into the space.

It’s a shame the company could not have sorted/welded something if they knew about his knee problem.

Would just like to say that I never keep it quiet when going for jobs as I think its only fair to the employers that they know I will have to take days off for hospital visits and can’t be jumping up and down on it all day long.

Just my 2p worth. The older drivers ( so as me) have put up with far worse and it was the norm. I did not have many luxuries when I started out driving. A dog clip on the 5th wheel was unheard of. Even now I just get on with it, if there is a problem I look for a solution and if I can live with it I will just get on with it.
I am not criticising the OP in any way , you put up with what you want to put up with.
I personally would not have jacked it in but I was brought up with a different mentality.