What would you do?

Good evening everyone,

Well here is my situation, I am still doing removals which I want to get out of now for a number of reasons personal and to do with how the company runs its wagons.

Let me paint the picture I went to work for them for a couple of weeks originally while waiting to start a new job but the job fell through so I am still there and like any job there is good and bad days. I get on with all of the lads apart well I used to until I found out what back stabbing cowards some of them are. The money is crap and the overtime goes to the blue eyed boys so you dont stand much chance of earning any extra unless the gaffer is desperate some days I dont finish till 9 10 o clock and get no extra money as we are salaried as opposed to by the hour. I dont mind doing the hours and working my backside off but when I hardly see my woman or kids and dont get any extra money for it I see no point in doing it but have no choice you work until the job gets done.

I am sooo bored of doing local work I have always done distance work when driving vans and that is what I enjoy and want to get back to I would willing get into a truck on monday morning and not come back till friday night I am not scared of hard work or long hours but this is not a job wanted post lol so back to the topic. I find the gaffer a patronising nob head that thinks he knows everything about everything we got a letter today about changes to our contract and at the end of the letter under his name he wrote aka superboss also known as a great bloke and sometimes referred to as god. What a idiot. Finally I am sick of driving round in trucks that are battered, yes they look clean on the outside but inside they are disguisting. I cleaned all the cabs the other week and they are already back to a state so from now on I will be getting my rubbish out as normal and thats it

The above are all personal problems, I can keep my mouth shut about it and just get on with my job work my nuts off to get the job done as early as possible to get back home dont get me wrong it is not brilliant working with someone that you know is a little back stabber and you would quite like to let go of the wardrobe you are carrying down the stairs with him :laughing:

Now onto the things that really bother me, no defect sheets are done on the wagons, but then again there probably wouldnt be enough paper in the world. We run round over weight probably 90% of the time I have been there well over 6 weeks and never saw a truck have an inspection. The tacho head is ■■■■■■ on one of them but nothing gets done about it, the heaters dont work in another, with the cold weather at the minute we are having to jump start almost every truck every morning and he wont get new batteries for them he expects us to run bent on long distance runs and just throw the tacho away if the ministry came in I would be very very surprised if they didnt shut them down.

But here is my problem my Grandad owns 50% of the company well atleast he used to as I have been told by a couple of people that he has been bought out and now his business partner owns it all I dont care if he has sold out I would rather have my nan and gramps than an inheritance an when he finally retires he will have a nice nest egg to enjoy retirement. I am so tempted to phone the ministry and inform them what goes on but dont want to take my Grandad down with his partner. My Grandad controls the warehouse side of things and has nothing to do with the transport or finacial side of the company stupidly in my opinion but that is just what he is like.

I am going to find out for definate if my grandad has sold and I am looking for another job but what would you do phone the authorities or just find a new job and get on with it?

Playing frisbee’s with your tachos, :open_mouth: you wanna don a tin helmet mate and await the flak!!

Ah yes, removals, good innit :wink:
Ive yet to see a decent removal truck, when I was on Pickfords they had a 17t Ford Cargo ( :open_mouth: ), and other old heaps, and at White & Co we had a J reg DAF 1900… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Anyway, try driving some of the Mercedes Vario based coaches I drive, you’ll get half way to where you’re going before you get any resemblence of heat, give me back my Plaxton coach with decent heat AND a Webasto to run when Im parked :sunglasses:

I never said I do it, I said he expects :wink:

I have pretty much covered my own arse and bought a defect book, I dont run bent, but I have driven vehicles that I am sure they are over loaded and do drive the vehicle that has a faulty tacho head. The trucks used to be so well looked after when the gaffers dad was the in charge but he passed away and the reigns fell to the gaffer.

The other day he had a word with me about driving to close to the vehicle in front, I wasnt driving to close at all and the bloke in the truck with me agreed with me then 2 days later the gaffer is bragging about racing a boy racer in a corsa :smiling_imp:

I know I am stupid for driving with a faulty tacho head and over weight but the attitude is if you dont like it p45 in the post and I cannot afford to be out of work I have a young family and not having my licence a year people aint falling at my feet with job offers but at the same time I feel if I stay I dont know how much longer I will have a licence :exclamation:

Daf I dont what I drive as long as it is maintained and legal. I dont like the state of the cabs but think everyone has the same attitude no one else cares so why should I but I am now guilty of that to.

I’d make the call, just make sure you aren’t going to be the one that takes the rap. voice recorders on mobiles are MARVELOUS things. Not fair on the removal companies that do it right (and I do know some do!).

Read somewhere that “BIRDS” were looking for drivers how about giving them a bell?? Can’t do any harm,best of luck with it. :wink:

Thanks mate will give them a try

just find a new job and get on with it?

it’s what I would do.

del949:

just find a new job and get on with it?

it’s what I would do.

Me too - Can you drive a sleigh?

Drive a sleigh…bugger that,it’s multi drop… and nights :smiley:

Well you could say that you now have some experience under your belt so why not approach some of the more reputable removal companies that do european work. Not sure who is around your area, been a long time since I did removals.

If you dont mind travelling abit to get to the yard you could try this lot…

nomad-international.com/index.php/Careers/

Crete, Greece and Italy…got to better than running around Brum!! :laughing: :laughing: