What would you buy

Well !! what a dilemma…i sold the motorhome and now want a 4 x 4…so the problem is this…i always wanted a Mitsubishi Shogun…but im only gonna spend about £4000...so it will be a Mor aNorP` reg. …LWB…Auto…all electric, air-con, etc…which engine though…3 litre V6…or a diesel…injection…

Or for the money i can go for the Vauxhall Frontera…will get the latest shape model…less mileage…same spec though…all electric…auto…

I almost know i want the Shogun… but the engine options confuse me…at least with the petrol…i can convert to LPG… i`m told the petrol engine does as much to the gallon as a diesel…

It seems the shogun is built more solidly than the vauxhall and is like a tank…i like the shape and looks and the luxury…and the built to last quality you should expect from a high class vehicle regardless of its age…in my opinion a well tried and tested vehicle…
Wonder if anyone here owns one or the other.and can give me advice…i will be buying from a dealer so therefore i will have a bit of peace of mind in the fact i will get 3 months warranty…and the choice on purchase of extending that…
your comments please.

I didn’t know you were into off-roading Bob ?

Ever thought of a vauxhall monterey Which is basicly an izuzu trooper with vauxhall badges very good underated 4x4 my old fella has the 3.2 V6 petrol one 96 on a P with 45000 miles on it he bought it 2 years ago for £5400 he’s done 20000 miles in it some towing a caravan and he’s never had a problem with it, It gives 23mpg normal driving and 19mpg with the caravan, the spec on it is quite good also

Full leather trim
electric everything
7 seater
switchable between 2 and 4wd
10 disc cd player
air con

If i was in the market for a 4wd i would seriously look at one of these

simon

If you are planning on going off road then there can be only one to consider really the 4x4 that every other is compared to.

Get yourself a Landie.:slight_smile::).

What about a jap import Mitsubishi Pajero,which if I’m not mistaken,is a Shogun with the different badge?

A lot of car,and they hold their value too.

If you can find one,and their like hens teeth,you want a manual,as most of them are automatic.

Ken.

Thanks guys…especially Rob K :laughing: :laughing:
i assume rob that was a joke…i need to go off road when i`m on the pull…dont wanna be bogged down…ha ha ha

no i wanna be like the school mum runs…use the big 4 x 4 just for the shopping and going to work…i was warned to stay away from the pajero
and seeing as no ones mentioned the Vauxhall yet…i`ll stick with the shogun…at least it has class…and style…but what engine would you go for…petrol…diesel…■■?..diesel wouldnt cost much to run…take it out the truck… :laughing: :laughing:

The vauxhall isnt really a vauxhall its an Izuzu rodeo well the newest shape one is anyway so i would imagine its quite a good car

simon

I had two Shogun diesels, a 95 manual followed by a 96 auto. Good reliable solid motors both did about 25 mpg with the auto doing 108,000 miles and still ran like new. It only ever saw a spanner at servicing time, but Mitsubisi recommend an oil change every 4,500 miles for the diesel which was a pain.
Pajero’s are identical, but being S/H imports the history can be very dodgy.
As for Landie’s, You could’nt find a bargepole long enough. :angry:

was having a click around on autotrader the other day and was amazed at the prices of 4x4s.
the shotgun is nice but there are better out there.
diesel rangerovers are coming down to a reasonable level and the dse is very well speced and legondary off the smooth stuff and still refined on it.
the last of the isuzu troopers are a good buy as well, built like a tank and refined with it and the engines particularly the 3.1td is built proof, the 3.0ltr is a pig.
the 300tdi disco is well worth a look with n/p reg’s coming in at under £4000, hunt around and you will find one with out intergalactic mileage.
jeep cherokees (spelling) are not an expensive option either with the 2.5 t diesel sport on a p’ plate with around 80,000 miles was well under £3000.
have a look at 4x4 mag as they have an issue with 2nd hand 4x4 buying guide or look on www.4x4i.com
always be very wary of 4x4s with towbars as they could well have been used for heavy towing since brand new and seriously used and abused, check underneath for signs of off road damage and if in doubt walk away, another will always come along.
hope this helps
chris

Get the petrol engine and have it LPG’d!!

My own car is a 1.8 Mondeo which runs on LPG. I just filled it up tonight; while the unleaded was 94.9ppl and the diesel was 99.9ppl, I was feeling quite smug to be only paying 41.9ppl!!!

As for any of the ‘horror stories’ about LPG, they’re all crap!! Using petrol, my car does 32mpg but using LPG it does 29mpg but costs less than half to run!! Supposidly, the engine performs at 10 - 20% less power when on LPG but to be honest, I have never noticed (having said that, I never find the need to ‘floor it’ in my old age!!).

As I am paying 53ppl less for LPG than unleaded, the cost of instalation (between £1,000 and £1,100) is clawed back within 20,000 miles. 20,000 is our usual annual mileage, so after year 1 I am saving at least a grand per year!!

Don’t forget that you dont pay the Congestion Charge in London if you have LPG although you’re not allowed on Eurotunnel (no great loss in my opinion!). If the vehicle was registered after Feb 01, then you should also qualify for much cheaper road tax (Alternative Fuel).

From my experience of running LPG vehicles, if I was a courier/parcels etc i’d be looking to run a petrol Transit or Sprinter and have it LPG’d with one of the BIG tanks you can get (in my car the LPG tank is 55 litres and sits in the spare wheel well).

There is only one 4x4, and that is the Jeep, if you are going to convert it to LPG, then the 4.0 litre petrol engine is no problem. There are a lot of decent kits out there for them, even some well designed tanks so you keep the load space.

The Diesel 2.5 was a bit of a compromise and used a VM engine which had a limited lifespan.

There is no difference between a Shogun and a Pajero, its just a marketing name.

I have driven a Frontera and personally dont like them.

Wheel Nut:
There is no difference between a Shogun and a Pajero, its just a marketing name.

Agreed.

Wheel Nut:
have driven a Frontera and personally dont like them.

Definately agreed!!

Shouldn’t you by driving one of these are your age Bob ? :smiling_imp:

I knew you guys would come up with some valuable tips…the range rover or land rover doesnt appeal to me…
Rob had the right idea…but im not sending off to china for spare parts :laughing: The Pajero is the same as a shogun..but its a spanish import..and i was told that the spares are more expensive.. i guess it looks like the shogun has won..with a big engine..and ready to be converted in my beloved Bulgaria..for..£200....no mistake..£200..already made the phone call..and were going there for the hols next year…
I did have the motorhome converted there…for £250…worth every penny…a bit sluggish on the hills…but at 3.5 ton…what dya expect…i could not register for the free congestion charge because they wouldnt accept the conversion certificates…probably couldnt understand Bulgarian…although i did send an english translation…so thanks for all the words of support…your ideas.etc…i can now be a flash b`stard.

truckyboy:
I knew you guys would come up with some valuable tips…the range rover or land rover doesnt appeal to me…
Rob had the right idea…but im not sending off to china for spare parts :laughing: The Pajero is the same as a shogun..but its a spanish import..and i was told that the spares are more expensive.. i guess it looks like the shogun has won..with a big engine..and ready to be converted in my beloved Bulgaria..for..£200....no mistake..£200..already made the phone call..and were going there for the hols next year…
I did have the motorhome converted there…for £250…worth every penny…a bit sluggish on the hills…but at 3.5 ton…what dya expect…i could not register for the free congestion charge because they wouldnt accept the conversion certificates…probably couldnt understand Bulgarian…although i did send an english translation…so thanks for all the words of support…your ideas.etc…i can now be a flash b`stard.

The grants and certificates were a con anyway Bob, The government promised the Powershift grant to everyone, and the price of LPG would not rise for 5 years. My brother had to spend a fortune to get his garage certificated for the fitment of LPG, his fitters were sent on government courses and had also to go on the manufacturer course. Then the most unlikely thing happened, the government suddenly changed their mind :open_mouth: and withdrew the Powershift grant and the new system has not been authorised yet.

My brother had to spend a load of money on analysis equipment, a gas storage facility and training for us all. What gets me is that the Dutch have LPG in nearly all the cars and they dont have any of this problem

Well we all know this government doesnt want to do anything for the motorist or trucker…nothing new there…it always takes the foreigner to lead the way…
so as they say…carry on as before…

Mum said "If you can buy a ******* 4*4 you can bloody well send her some ******* back maintainence for her wee laddie (that’s me !) I went through some nappies as a bairn…your lovin son :wink: