What to do

Hi all just finished 6 weeks working for my dads mate he was on holiday it was a blast. Anyway back to my norm job on monday driving a transit van multidrop went to see my boss about going part time so i can do some agency he will not let me and i work weekends and the hgv jobs are hard to find up here any ideas.

You’re in Leeds?? I would have thought if you had a good look round, there are plenty of firms up there. Two things to remember … 1) Firms may not be hiring at the moment due to the economy. Many have struggled to simply survive over the summer so it may be a while before they start taking on again. 2) If you are not worried about being home every night, then look further afield. Many a driver lives nowhere near where they work!! If you are away all week, then you only make the journey to and from work once a week so say, a 50 mile journey isn’t so bad. A 100 mile round trip once a week is less than driving 11 mile each way every day.

leeds has been hit quite badley over the last couple of years, macfarlanes going was bad news as i know they were crap but at least that was the place for newbies to get a chance or somewhere to fill in with. irlams has now gone from normanton swallowed by the stobart machine at sherburn and god knows when they will be hiring there again, again also stobart from wakefield was another loss, i dont think longs are setting nor are bedfords although bedfords wouldnt be top of my list either, viamasters were laying off.

dhl at whitwood the old tibbets depot are setting on not a bad wage either.

Stick with the regular income until things pick up
What days do you do the van job :question: - might leave some odd days to do a bit of agency work (if there is some available)

You could try ND or Wisemans at Normanton?

Jessicasdad… what do you know about the Asda operation?

philmots:

i did 3 years on the agency at asda normanton. its an easy job 2 / 3 runs a day, plenty of time for tossing off as ive never had my cards questioned. money is ok for the hours but you have to work a rota including weekends and also you will be working boxing and new years day some years, although im not sure how that works out. i was on the midnight to 3 am start times but that was my choice as ive always liked the start early finish early times.

if you want the main agency it’s juice personnel on rishworth street wakefield and the girl to speak to is lynn swift and they get the first choice of work.

Hi all thanks for the advice just sent a form off to juice personal i am also with direct workforce dont know if they are any good. But thanks to you all for the advice will let you know what happens. thanks :smiley:

jessicas dad:

philmots:

i did 3 years on the agency at asda normanton. its an easy job 2 / 3 runs a day, plenty of time for tossing off as ive never had my cards questioned. money is ok for the hours but you have to work a rota including weekends and also you will be working boxing and new years day some years, although im not sure how that works out. i was on the midnight to 3 am start times but that was my choice as ive always liked the start early finish early times.

if you want the main agency it’s juice personnel on rishworth street wakefield and the girl to speak to is lynn swift and they get the first choice of work.

Thanks for that… I’ve just got on at Sainsburys Sherburn Perm staff and it sounds like exactly the same job with the amount of runs and rota wise etc, i was just curious. Hopefully I wil get the 3 till 6 block which should have me done in good time. How would i go about getting on there permenant?

Also, what do you know about Arla?