Best place to look for work

I’ve been wondering were the best place to look for work for new drivers

Loads of places dude… there’s the job centre, your local newspaper, seeing you are posting here, I’m going to take a stab in the dark and assume you have internet access… do a google search for driver jobs, or hgv driver agencies, find places local to you, and go down to speak to them face to face. Read the names of trucks you see driving past you, or ones you overtake in the car, and look them up online, see if they list any jobs going on their website, if not, call them up and find out…

Alternatively, wait for one of them to knock on your door offering you a job.

What part of the country are you from, Jase?

I’m in an area north of Sheffield west of Barnsley
There are no jobs locally I don’t have a problem traveling as its something I’ve always done
Thinking I maybe better off relocating somewhere I’d have a better chance of getting a job

Hi Jase, I asked the same question on here a couple of months ago and most of the recommendations I got were for around the M1/M6/M42 triangle. When you look on the map it looks like there is sod all there, but it does leave you with a lot of places within commuting distance,as long as you don’t mind a bit of a drive to work and if you don’t like driving you have made the wrong career choice anyway! Check out the topic I posted on here a couple of days ago,as I have just moved into digs here and am just starting now to do the rounds looking for work myself. you don’t say what kind of work you are looking for. I am a brand new cat C driver with no experience at all but I refuse to become pessimistic about my prospects as I think it would show in your attitude when you walk into places touting for work. I might be a total novice but as I see it that just makes me a very malleable potential asset with no bad habits or attitudes. If I have any luck I’ll keep you posted.
All the best
Rich

Jase

This worked for me and I love the job I got by doing it. I live in Wakefield and work out of Barnsley.

Sit at your computer and right a CV. Get someone your trust to read it through and take advice about what to change,remove or add.

Next thing to do is write yourself a begging letter. ‘Dear sir. give me a job please.’ type thing. There are examples on-line which you can use to get you going in the right direction.

When your happy with your finished CV and begging letter, sit back at the computer and punch in www.yell.com and do a search for haulage companies in the area your willing to travel.

For each company you find, get their address and copy and paste this onto your begging letter and print off a copy. Then, set your printer to accept a DL envelope (thats a long thin one) and print the address on there too. Put them both to one side and do the same for any other companies you find.

So, by now you should have a pile of letters and envelopes. Count them up and then here comes my top tip. Print of a copy of your CV for each of the letters but make sure you do it on CREAM paper!!! Why cream? It stands out from the pile of white ones on a potential employers desk.

Begging letter and CV folded nicely and placed into the matching envelope, stamp and post. Sit back and wait.

I did this back in Feb 2011 and I posted 35 envelopes. They went in the box on Sunday and Tuesday I got my first of 8, I’ll put that again, EIGHT, job offers from the 35 letters I sent out.

There is nothing special about me or my driving history so all I can put it down to is the letter and CV I sent out.

Sorry for going on a bit and I wish you luck in your search.

Also going out to companies helps too asking if they’re looking for drivers. It’s easier to put the phone down or throw a CV in the bin than it is to tell someone to ■■■■ off face to face :smiley:

Plus you never know, you could be in the right place at the right time where a company needs a driver etc. As said above print CV onto cream paper as it shall stand out and the CV shouldn’t be any longer than 2 pages.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Jase I have listed a lot of jobs in relevant section over last couple of days and some of them are close to you