Newly qualified and job hunting

Evening all. So I passed my Cat C practical test in the middle of February. Managed to get all my CPC classroom hours in the following week.

Today I received my updated licence back so I have that to go with my driver qualification card and digital tachograph card. Just need my first job now.
I’ve made a list of the agencies that cover my area and will contact them in due course.

My question is how do you approach transport managers directly? I know as a new pass agency work is most likely to start with but I’d like to be as pro-active as possible. I have my PPE gear. I’m Wakefield based.

Any pointers are really appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many of the agency’s clients will require you to have held your licence for a minimum of two years. Go for direct employment if you can get it. Depending on the local job market, this may or may not be easy.

Try DHL Spectrum Arcadia, Leeds. They might take on new HGV Class 2 drivers.

At the weekend go for a drive around and make a note of all the local small hauliers. Any companies that you aren’t sure what they do, try and check them out ( we don’t mention transport/haulage in out name). Then Monday start calling round with a CV to hand out. Look clean, smile, don’t take up too much time if they are busy but be willing to chat if that’s what they want you to do.

Good luck!

You need to have a drive around the local industrial estates, junction 41, Normanton / Whitwood, or look at the distance you want to travel ( bearing in mind haulage isn’t 9 - 5 ) you may in occasion be asked to reduce rest and if you’ve an hours travelling to work with an hour home that 9 hours becomes 7, unless you find a tramping position.
Best thing to do is google hauliers contractors / road transport / transport companies in your local area, either cold call and ask to speak to the tm or knock on their door, explain your situation and if they don’t have a vacancy they may point you in the right direction, either way enthusiasm usually sticks in their mind.
Try Viamaster at Whitwood or XPO at Normanton.

Good Luck

Try Montgomery’s in Leeds.

Lad retiring there in couple of weeks. Not sure if they’ve a replacement lined up? Class 2 multi drop around Yorks. I got a start with them when I first started out on class 2 (2006!) They were ok back then with no experience

Thank you people.

Had an assessment drive on Monday through an agency for well known retail outlet based out of a Castleford distribution centre. Part time and unknown hours plus no idea of hourly rate.
Nailed the driving assessment but home deliveries of sofas, white goods etc. Multi-manning with drivers too.

Anyway, yesterday I got a shift with a food distribution centre in Bradford. Not perfect as I clocked in at 10:30 but we didn’t leave until 15:00 as the tailgate was knackered. Not the best trucks but legal.

Pretty hard hand-balling plus my number 2 had no idea where we going (satnav is on order).
Bit sketchy on my hours but it’s my first shift as professional driver.

Got home very late but don’t think I have an infringement. Number 2 was encouraging me to handball on my break. I didn’t of course. Done some research tonight in terms of drivers hours and tachograph.

Another shift tomorrow. It’s all experience I guess

danbabirecki:
Got home very late but don’t think I have an infringement. Number 2 was encouraging me to handball on my break. I didn’t of course.

This is pretty much par for the course in my experience, and one of the reasons I’ve always hated any job with a “passenger”. Some scenarios I’ve experienced: No.2 yelling “Go! go! go!” when the lights go from green to amber, or them starting the day whining, insisting they want to get finished early, loads of stuff like that.

The best one was where he sat talking on his phone to his mate, complaining about being stuck with an agency driver (while I’m sitting right next to him) then complaining directly to me “I wish I had my regular driver…” At that one I lost it a bit and told him (in no uncertain terms) I wished he had his regular driver too and to wind his neck in right now.

If you get a chance at driving bin wagons, or kerbside recycling wagons, I’d suggest you jump at it, I found it was an excellent way to get plenty of experience and increase your confidence rapidly, taking vehicles into places you’d never believe they would fit if you were driving in your own, plus you’ve got one or two other lads who are (usually) really on the ball to help you in and out of the tight squeezes, plus they don’t complain half as much as the average delivery mate.

I got another shift at the same Bradford company last Thursday. Same drivers mate, same amount of using his mobile phone on the way to Manchester.

All drops fine until I try to tip in Chorlton. Initially nowhere to park. He’s suggesting bus stops and cycle lanes and naturally I ignore him. Finally got a spot and did the drop (albeit having to cross a main road with a pallet truck).

I was due a break from driving and found a legal spot near the Etihad stadium. He wants me to work through my break again which I didn’t. Re-start the truck but no drive/transmission.

Recovery truck eventually arrives with one passenger seat. I have to pay for taxi back to Bradford and get refunded next day on a day off. I won’t mention the company by name but PM if you want to know.

Thanks for the tips. Went cold calling today with my CV. Dropped 8 in total. Got a call back after 5 minutes from last call for a local distribution company. Got an interview tomorrow as there is a new vacancy. I’m hopeful

So my cold calling paid off in just one day. Went to a local distributor supplying the drinks trade today who called me back when I left my CV. Had a chat and was offered a driving job instantly. Full time and permanent and I start tomorrow. Pay is a bit low but great chance to have guaranteed income and get some experience