What do you all know about

Logging in Britain, in particular the transportation of logs (please no jokes) is there much of an industry? if so where? whom? was watchin a programme bout it in america and its quite big business there. Then again they do have forests the size of wales.

Lots of logging North Wales, plus some parts of Scotland, these are just two areas I know of, there must be many more…

JST do lots of the Scottish stuff. Dunno much about it myself though.http://www.jstservices.co.uk

pm dingo

hes on generall haulage but dis a heck of a lot of timber work as well

pitys there none of it near me as the trailer i,ve just bought has 20 of them huge tall pins on it so i think thats what it must have been used for, dont know how dingo chucks them behind the headbord like he does as i,ve only moved them all once and i needed a week off with a bad back :laughing:

chaversdad:
pitys there none of it near me as the trailer i,ve just bought has 20 of them huge tall pins on it so i think thats what it must have been used for, dont know how dingo chucks them behind the headbord like he does as i,ve only moved them all once and i needed a week off with a bad back :laughing:

Its a knack you aquire lol.
Is it a Polski trailer ?.

They seem to come standard with 20 pins (5 bolsters of 2.2m).

As i have said to Tramp on a pm ,dont look at those American shows and think its ■■■■ easy.

Can be one of the most rewarding jobs you can do.
At the moment with the good weather , you couldnt be doing anything better :smiley: .
But on a cold winters day when you are covered from arse to head in mud and soaked to the ■■■■ ,any other job would be nice.

(need to do another diary as i have 3 weeks worth of pics on my phone :sunglasses: ).

dingo:

chaversdad:

Its a knack you aquire lol.
Is it a Polski trailer ?.

They seem to come standard with 20 pins (5 bolsters of 2.2m).

(need to do another diary as i have 3 weeks worth of pics on my phone :sunglasses: ).

its an sdc dingo, i bought it because it has a coil well in it the 20 posts are just something that came with it though they will be going to the scrap yard shortly as they must put half a ton on my tare ! get that diary done sharpish i love it up your part of the world :smiley:

Before driving I used to manage a small agricultural timber yard, when I started there about 11 years ago nearly all the timber was homegrown, 6 years later most of it was Latvian import, the cost and quality being much better than the stuff coming out of Wales. We continued to have 1 or 2 loads on an 8 wheeled logger come up from East Sussex, and that stuff was top quality.

Plenty of timber on the move on the Welsh Borders.

theres a bloke fromBarford called Bob
he has a F88 logger

Dave the Renegade:

Plenty of timber on the move on the Welsh Borders.

I can vouch for that. I buy about 5,000 tonnes a year delivered around the West Midlands. It all comes on crane wagons though, including John Weaver and his sons. Kronospan at Chirk make my business look insignificant - thay take around 500,000 tonnes a year, or some other huge amount!

I’d imagine timber haulage is quite difficult to get into - its a small world, and most existing players will have been doing it a long long time. It’s really about who you know. Your first port of call would be the felling contractors.

There is also a lot of timber going into the BSW mill at Newbridge on Wye.

Drove a mini coach round Glen Almond huge piles of timber all ready to go site about 10 miles N.W.of Perth. I think that most of it goes down to Cowie near Stirling to be pulped.

Not the best pic in the world, here’s one seen in Llandrindod Wells Powys, heading for the BSW Mill.

Pontrilas Sawmill in Herefordshire run quite a big mill, their own fleet fetch timber from all over the UK, as well as outside timber hauliers, they sometimes fetch timber from Scotland by road, also by rail, unloading it at Hereford railway station.

Dave the Renegade:
There is also a lot of timber going into the BSW mill at Newbridge on Wye.

and the BSW site at rockcliffe nr carlisle

i might be being a bit daft here tramp but could u not use said pins for oil related pipes and steel aswell as timmer

it was me who mentioned the pins farmer, i have a normal size set on the trailer now , i was just commenting on how tiring it must be for dingo shifting the taller timber posts about