Western docks dover

Anyone remember western docks around 1970s i used to go out on the twickenham an shepperton ferrys.They took railway trucks and were back on drive off.I remember seeing the hangartner drivers with there wagon an drawbars backing on they had real skill one shunt straight on.Dover dunkirk their was some right rough crossings in the winter on that british rail line then.SCA were regulars then and eurocross,seabourne,s tk bedfords,french firm called onartra good old days ■■■■ were 1 25p for 200.Later the vortigen was put on service which i think was roll on roll off.

boyzee:
Anyone remember western docks around 1970s i used to go out on the twickenham an shepperton ferrys.They took railway trucks and were back on drive off.I remember seeing the hangartner drivers with there wagon an drawbars backing on they had real skill one shunt straight on.Dover dunkirk their was some right rough crossings in the winter on that british rail line then.SCA were regulars then and eurocross,seabourne,s tk bedfords,french firm called onartra good old days ■■■■ were 1 25p for 200.Later the vortigen was put on service which i think was roll on roll off.

yeah we used that service(if thats the right word) when i worked for keens at ilford,usually went out with skins and came back with chipboard,not the ideal crossing in winter with a load of laminated board. i used it before that with promotor but he would only send us out that way if we had plenty of time,because it was so unreliable.that french firm you mention onatra,i beleive they came from marseille,and rumour had it they were owned by onassis,whether this is right or not i dont know. british rail had another crossing from harwich to the hook which also took rail trucks,there was a small truck went over a couple of times a week with live rabbits on,the smell was real bad and you could smell it all over the boat. oh happy days.

Yeah I used that railway ferry once when I was on for Chapman and Ball.Had to take over a Portacabin on a trombone low loader,40’ long and 14’ wide!.
Course,ALL the drivers had to come and watch didn’t they?
Had a good lad with me though,reversed it on in one go.Result!