Went through a redlight

This morning around 330 I was in Manchester around the Urmston area, I had just delivered to a store, and was on my way to my next drop. Came to a set off lights that were on red, so I came to a stop. Sat there and sat there, and then sat there some more, no sign of change, (by now the gearbox had gone into neutral as it does if you are stationary for long enough). No one else about, looked at tacho and display said I had been there for 7 mins :open_mouth: , I turned the engine off and went and pressed the crossing button to see if this would alter anything, it didnt :imp: . I even reversed back and went forwards to see if there was a sensor I could set off. After 11 minutes I went through them, there was no camera on the lights but not sure if any cctv, I couldnt get done for this could I?

What would you have done?

Gone a ā– ā– ā– ā–  sight sooner than 11 minutes!

bugcos:
Came to a set off lights that were on redā€¦After 11 minutes I went through themā€¦What would you have done?

Same as you - reasonable to assume that the lights were faulty and treat as a GIVE WAY - probably after about 5 minutes

It took 11 minutes cos i was on overtime :exclamation: :smiley: :wink:

bugcos:
It took 11 minutes cos i was on overtime :exclamation: :smiley: :wink:

ā€¦so it was you that [ZB]ed the lights !! :wink: :laughing:

If theyā€™re faulty then you have a legal defence for going through. Personally I wouldnā€™t have waited 11 mins :smiley:

What about this one then, yesterday Iā€™m driving through Dunstable, come to a set of lights and have to turn right. There is an crossing island between the lanes. Lights change we all move and as iā€™m out past the edge of the island the car in front stops to let an Ambulance pass(it turned left), he goes on and lights change. Iā€™m past a point where I canā€™t back up and iā€™m blocking the crossing, no other option but to go forward and turn. Got abouse from a foreign sprinter driver and one car driver gave me a dirty look. There wasnā€™t much choice in what i could have done.

bugcos:
This morning around 330 I was in Manchester around the Urmston area, I had just delivered to a store, and was on my way to my next drop. Came to a set off lights that were on red, so I came to a stop. Sat there and sat there, and then sat there some more, no sign of change, (by now the gearbox had gone into neutral as it does if you are stationary for long enough). No one else about, looked at tacho and display said I had been there for 7 mins :open_mouth: , I turned the engine off and went and pressed the crossing button to see if this would alter anything, it didnt :imp: . I even reversed back and went forwards to see if there was a sensor I could set off. After 11 minutes I went through them, there was no camera on the lights but not sure if any cctv, I couldnt get done for this could I?

Have you thought of contacting Manchester Council?

Even better defence that you informed them their lights are faulty.

Paul-H:
What about this one then, yesterday Iā€™m driving through Dunstable, come to a set of lights and have to turn right. There is an crossing island between the lanes. Lights change we all move and as iā€™m out past the edge of the island the car in front stops to let an Ambulance pass(it turned left), he goes on and lights change. Iā€™m past a point where I canā€™t back up and iā€™m blocking the crossing, no other option but to go forward and turn. Got abouse from a foreign sprinter driver and one car driver gave me a dirty look. There wasnā€™t much choice in what i could have done.

Treat as give way and proceed when safe to do so.

Even if there was CCTV mate, hopefully it would have seen u get out the cab to press the crossing button to show that there was a problem. Better still, if they have to sit in the camera office for 11 mins to look at a stationary truck im sure they will realise and u will be fine. :smiley:

Paul-H:

Let him without sin cast the first stone, in other words, I take it that they would claim never to have done it.

Personally, I would have given them the finger.

Ken.

what would you of done if there had been a jumper on the traffic lights :question: as in the eye of the law you would of broke the law :question: :question: :confused: :confused:

Cruise Control:
what would you of done if there had been a jumper on the traffic lights :question: as in the eye of the law you would of broke the law :question: :question: :confused: :confused:

I assume you mean another road user crossing your path of travel - probably on a green light if the lights are jammed on red for oyur way? - easy answer - treat it as a give way to other road users and assume others have the right of way.

ROG:

Cruise Control:

I assume you mean another road user crossing your path of travel - probably on a green light if the lights are jammed on red for oyur way? - easy answer - treat it as a give way to other road users and assume others have the right of way.

no a ā€˜jumperā€™ aka red light camera. :smiley:

prison :grimacing: ,send him to prison for 12 years :exclamation: with no parole, you law breaker :grimacing: :grimacing:

Quinny:
Let him without sin cast the first stone, in other words, I take it that they would claim never to have done it.

Personally, I would have given them the finger.

Ken.

I did, felt like I shouold have given more, as for the camera, I assume that a CCTV or omething of sorts is/would also be there as it was a major crossroads. Then I would request a tape of the incident and go from there.

bugcos:

Were there double yellow lines on the side of the road? knowing the way some councils work you could receive a parking ticket in the post soon :smiling_imp:

at 3.30am. i would ignore the lights if it was clear, and carry on anyway.
i was stopped for jumping a red light a couple of years ago. as i approached they were on red and amber, then green. as i got to the white line they changed up to red. they must have been on green for just a few seconds, if iā€™d have braked hard, iā€™d have locked up as i had an empty flatbed, there was a bend in the road, and it was a bit wet.
so the copper asked why i went through on red. i just said it was safer to carry on. ā€œok, no problem thenā€ he said. then off i went.