well, do you??

Simple question within the picture…

well, do you. :question: :neutral_face: example -driving through busy town/city in your truck, you see a bus wanting to pull out infront :open_mouth: :open_mouth: do you let it pull out and just hope it doesnt stop ever 30 meters on the road to drop/collect people :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: and you have to then sit and wait for a space in the traffic coming the other way. or do drive past them ignoring their plea :question:

just curious really, :exclamation: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: thought i’d ask on here as no bus drivers on this forum :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: is there now :exclamation: :wink: :wink:

generally i will make allowances so they have the option pull out, as i did today :grimacing: but it just got me thinking what is the longest time a bus driver has sat waiting for somone to let them out - as i’m guessing its a problem sometimes hence the polite sign :exclamation: :exclamation:

oh lights were on red, hand brake applied, blah blah etc etc :exclamation: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

If I could be safe & ‘convenient’ to other road users then I would let it out but each time would depend on the exact senario I was presented with

I would not deliberately block it purely for personal gain.

The highway code is clear on this point and it is the rules we agreed to drive by when we accepted a licence.

NO, they just go along and block the road further ahead mostly by leaving the rear end out off the bus stop causing more inconvienence

bedgar047:
NO, they just go along and block the road further ahead mostly by leaving the rear end out off the bus stop causing more inconvienence

Spot on. Let them out for them to stop 100yds down teh road blocking the road, they can wait for teh next poor sod to let them out.

scottishcruiser:

bedgar047:

Spot on. Let them out for them to stop 100yds down teh road blocking the road, they can wait for teh next poor sod to let them out.

Thats charming that is - I wont bother letting trucks out of side roads etc then… :unamused:

depends on my mood tbh,

if im not in a rush ill let them out, if i am in a rush i dont.

it entirely depends on conditions. I treat bus and coach drivers with the same respect as other lorryists, we all drive large slow vehicles and need a bit of patience occassionally.

Mr B:
I treat bus and coach drivers with the same respect as other lorryists,

i thought they were both the same thing :question: :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

The buses round here indicate and move out all at the same time - whether or not you are already alongside them !
So if I see them indicate and check their mirror before I reach them, then I’ll let them out, if they do it as I reach their back end I won’t. Also if the lights are green and I just got up to speed, they can wait, coz usually if you let them go they ■■■■ about and they make the lights but leave me behind regretting it.
Give it a rest Rog. Or should I call you Reverent ? The highway code calls for lots of things, but it’s only us who seem to obey them. What comes around, goes around.

If the bus is parked on the road at a bus stop I’d let them out (less hassle than to manoeuvre round). If the bus is parked off the road at a bus stop I wouldn’t let it out unless the traffic is slowing and there’s a chance I could stop in their blind spot
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes because this is why they leave their arse end out blocking the road when possible causing all sorts of delays and quite right too.

They deserve a medal for driving service buses.

I was refused a lobotomy so could not continue on health grounds.

If it was safe & convienient I would deliberately block it in for my own personal gain, whilst seeing if I could catch the wing mirror with my trailer he/she has stuck two foot into the road in a vain attempt at bullying other road users until he/she caught glimpse of 44 ton of heavy metal in it! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :astonished: :astonished: :smiley: :smiley:

No, cause they never park in a bus stop when its there for them. I also hate bus lanes.

DS074:
If it was safe & convienient I would deliberately block it in for my own personal gain, whilst seeing if I could catch the wing mirror with my trailer he/she has stuck two foot into the road in a vain attempt at bullying other road users until he/she caught glimpse of 44 ton of heavy metal in it! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :astonished: :astonished: :smiley: :smiley:

Not a problem taking my mirror off - Id just get the passengers off onto the next bus and I lose a run… :wink:
BTW we sometimes dont have a choice stopping with 2 foot sticking out, sometimes somebodies parked in the stop, or have you noticed the raised kerb in the middle of stops? Thats for wheelchairs to easily get on/off easily, whoever thought of putting that in a place where half the bus sticks out into the road needs their heads looking at… :wink:

See this is the attitude I expected. Highway code says you let them out. When I was on service buses you got three flashes then that’s it ,I’m going for it, so you better get out the way or you’re getting crunched up against the side of me. Pig ignorance. If half of you had done the job you wouldn’t be saying what you’re saying.

At least in Glasgow cars drivers know the bus drivers are ruthless and have no fear, so they generally do stop and let the bus out. They know what’ll happen if they don’t!!! We Glaswegians don’t take pish off no ■■■■ :laughing:

no never cos how do you know when to let them out
arse end halfway across the road
right hand indicators going blink blink
from the moment they approach bus stop
and people still getting off and on

i generally let them out if i can, i treat them as professional drivers and think they have a difficult job to do and they know they are a pain in the arse keep pulling out. what does annoy me is those that just stick the indicator and pull out regardless and just think its their right.

in tight city centres i think the traffic and road conditions dictate what you do anyway.

They dont need those signs here in Portsmouth, buses just pull out in front of you here whether you were going to wait or not.

Yes, I do.
(and sometimes get honks and gestures from those behind me).

In many European countries it is legal, road traffic act says “bus indicating to leave bus stop has the right of the way”. It is not very strongly enforced, but still a law. I was taught to it and am practising it.
One of the reasons is safety: there can be somebody trying to cross the road in front of the bus who you can’t see when passing the bus, when there’s no bay and bus stops on the road and you want to pass it you have to cross middle line and occupy the other lane - the oncoming cars often can not see you because of the bus (especialy when there’s a left bend.
Another reason is just normal politeness, respect and understanding - the bus driver only wants to do his job and that is not sitting at bus stop; travelling people like buses (as well as trains and planes and ferries) leaving and arriving on time; idling stationary bus just adds pollution without any effect…

edinburghs bad for bus drivers, some dont even indicate and just draw out/block roads etc

though you do get th occasional one who does give you a wave/indicators for letting them draw out, again its all to do with my mood if im in a rush etc and how busy it is aswell, if the roads busy then im doing no harm letting them out, not saying if a bus does draw out in front of my i lose the rag its just an inconvienece