Calling all bus drivers

when pulling away from a stop the correct procedure is - MIRROR, SIGNAL, MANOUVRE. in that order.

the bulk of you seem to prefer - MANOUVRE, SIGNAL and then (optional) MIRROR.

this can be hazardous to your health.

hope this helps!

love from 03sprinter.

aint you been watching that london bus programme on bbc1 (think its on thursday at 7pm).on there lessons there told to be agressive and take control of the road.

theres being aggresive thens theres being suicidle:roll: :open_mouth: j

on

BUS DRIVERS. second only to taxi drivers MY FAVOURITE SAYING is SCUM DRIVERS. :imp:

aye righto i can take it. all i,m gonna get. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

not even putting me hard hat on. :sunglasses:

Bus drivers…taxi drivers…van drivers = suicide merchants? surely not :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

03sprinter:
when pulling away from a stop the correct procedure is - MIRROR, SIGNAL, MANOUVRE. in that order.

the bulk of you seem to prefer - MANOUVRE, SIGNAL and then (optional) MIRROR.

this can be hazardous to your health.

hope this helps!

love from 03sprinter.

Ironic coming from a van driver :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

simon

Unless things have changed in LT over the years, they are TRAINED to do this.

My late Dad was a bus driver in london during the early 60’s & he always told me they are trained to:

GO but always be prepared to stop if you MUST.

He proved this to me countless times, they look as if they will run into you but if you have got the bottle they will stop. Rarely i would ever bother, might as well let them do their godforsaken job, but if i catch one that’s a bit too lively, it’s time to test my Dad’s theory (never failed YET)

What I find annoying with busses is they switch their indicator on to pull out, but they’re not even ready to pull out… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

its all down to the that little sticker on the back - give way to buses. i have in the past boarded (in a pirate kind of way) offending buses to discuss the definition of “give way” as opposed to “stop dead and yield no matter what your road position, the individual circumstances or the worthiness of said driver to be in charge of such a vehicle”.

as for taxi drivers i find them to be generally pretty good, although i put this down to them being mostly self employed hence more protective of their cars.

and vans…yes there are thousands of morons out there in vans that shouldnt be allowed out of the house unsupervised. think you will find though that the bulk of these are contractors, tradesmen, engineers etc. standards amongst couriers are much higher and even more so amongst the self employed.

as an ex bus driver (and hopefully returning to the fold) I am familiar with the “give way” stickers on the backs of buses.

In my opinion this goes back to the days when the buses were state owned (national bus company) and refers to what used to be highway code rule 55 (not sure what the current rule number is, rule 109■■)

I have spent many a time waiting for someone to let me out of bus stops on busy roads but as the buses are privatly owned now, I believe they have no more rights than any other road user.

having said that, I will on busy routes put my indicator on, count 3 cars (unless someone flashes me out) then pull out!!!

If you wait, you will never get out!!!
just my tuppance worth!!!

03sprinter:
and vans…yes there are thousands of morons out there in vans that shouldnt be allowed out of the house unsupervised. think you will find though that the bulk of these are contractors, tradesmen, engineers etc. standards amongst couriers are much higher and even more so amongst the self employed.

And with an attitude like that you’ll fit right in on TN, you know one of the, i know all van drivers are… But not me …oh no i would never do that…been driving for 2000 years load of [zb] and never broke a law crap :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

simon

I could spend all day slagging off Van drivers but I won’t. I’m moving to the railways very soon so its a shame I won’t be around when 2008 comes and all vans more than 3.5 tons are restricted to 56 mph! :smiley:

Why cant they fit the whole bus in to the bus stop?, is this just a pathetic way of leaving the arse end sticking out so they can get back out?.

This ■■■■■■ me off more than actually pulling out in front of me, Also if they continue to make buses look like this
at the rear how the ■■■■ is anyone supposed to know its a bus?.

give way to buses

Yes it may say this on back of the buses with the Highway rule number next to it,but what it should say is Please give way to this bus,only if it’s Safe to do so.

SimonRS2K:
And with an attitude like that you’ll fit right in on TN, you know one of the, i know all van drivers are… But not me …oh no i would never do that…been driving for 2000 years load of [zb] and never broke a law crap :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

simon

and just what is your problem tonight simon?

for your information -
i have been on here for years.
i hold a current class 2.
i own and operate 7.5t as well as various van variants.

and if i remember rightly, we both used to run papers out of the mirror at oldham some time back. so like i say, whats your problem? (i could always pull off a pirate style boarding of your vehicle to discuss further if you like :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

03sprinter:

SimonRS2K:

simon

and just what is your problem tonight simon?

for your information -
i have been on here for years.
i hold a current class 2.
i own and operate 7.5t as well as various van variants.

and if i remember rightly, we both used to run papers out of the mirror at oldham some time back. so like i say, whats your problem? (i could always pull off a pirate style boarding of your vehicle to discuss further if you like :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

The problem i have is people that come on here and make statements like you have today, which i find a bit hypocritical, you know bus drivers are this and that when there are also just as many bad truckers or van drivers or cabbies

The point i am trying to make why catagorise a whole group of people as bad drivers when 1 person has has done something that didnt agree with you

You see every type of driving job has bad drivers but to blame the whole lot on one bad experience seems a bit narrow minded to me :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

oh and merry xmas :wink: :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue:
simon

198: Buses, coaches and trams. Give priority to these vehicles when you can do so safely, especially when they signal to pull away from stops. Look out for people getting off a bus or tram and crossing the road.

SimonRS2K:
The point i am trying to make why catagorise a whole group of people as bad drivers when 1 person has has done something that didnt agree with you
You see every type of driving job has bad drivers but to blame the whole lot on one bad experience seems a bit narrow minded to me :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

and when did i mention “one bad experience”?
buses pull away from stops without looking or signalling on a regular basis and this has always been the case in my 14 years of professional driving.
there are even testimonies above that they are taught to drive like this. justification to generalise i think.

and the irony is not that i am a van driver, it is that i actually give way to buses and virtually everyone else regardless of their vehicle type and size, on the condition that they are driving safely and legally. ie - if im behind a bus and he signals to pull out then i let him go. simple. on the other hand if i am halfway through overtaking him and he pulls away regardless (which is what this whole thread is about) then i am not so hospitable. also simple.

and you can stick christmas :laughing: :laughing:

scab-in-a-cab:

Unless things have changed in LT over the years, they are TRAINED to do this.

My late Dad was a bus driver in london during the early 60’s & he always told me they are trained to:

GO but always be prepared to stop if you MUST.

He proved this to me countless times, they look as if they will run into you but if you have got the bottle they will stop. Rarely i would ever bother, might as well let them do their godforsaken job, but if i catch one that’s a bit too lively, it’s time to test my Dad’s theory (never failed YET)

scab, after many years of testing i disproved your dads theory recently with a routemaster in central london. that is, i took him on and he drove into me. HA! the conductor was trying to tell me that there had not actually been an impact but if he had bothered to look he would have seen that the two vehicles were still joined at the mirror. meanwhile the driver was refusing to give me any information about himself (such as name, number etc), insisting that all i needed to note was the number of the bus. not the unique reg number though, just the ROUTE No on the front of the bus. what a double act that was.

Why cant they fit the whole bus in to the bus stop?, is this just a pathetic way of leaving the arse end sticking out so they can get back out?.

Well in that pic it’s because the parking spaces are marked out that way. I would imagine it was so they could fit more vehicles into the same space :wink:

First of all let me say i am now back driving buses after 30 years class one work.Simon has it right when he says there are good and bad in all groups of drivers.The key to it all is we should all be more tolerant of each other.
The company i work for now has some of the best training i have ever encountered and would put nearly all truck companies to shame in this department.
Just think how many people a bus carries and then think how many cars that keeps off the road.