Week in Hand?

Been a long time since i was paid on a weekly basis…but if you started a job and were told “it’s a week in hand” when do you expect to get your first pay?

To me it means any work you do in Week 1 is paid at the end of week 2, and then so on…week 2 paid in week 3 etc etc

Am i right, or have got it arse about face?

If the company pay weekly you will be paid on the second pay day after your start day

You’ve got it right, I started on a wednesday, did wed till fri and got paid the following fri

DonutUK:
To me it means any work you do in Week 1 is paid at the end of week 2, and then so on…week 2 paid in week 3 etc etc

thats how i would read it, our place drivers get paid on a thursday, so say you started on a monday you would get your first pay the following thursday and so on. no harm in checking with payroll though just so your sure as weekly pay mean altering your budget slightly in some peoples cases, like me who went from monthly to weekly.

Week in hand to me suggests that there maybe a high turn-over in staff.

Deathstar:
Week in hand to me suggests that there maybe a high turn-over in staff.

I worked for WIH pay for 15 years and in that time we had one driver leave and about 6 join.

Well…reason i was asking was because i don’t appear to have been paid for my first weeks work (should have gone in on Friday)…and its not looking good for the second week either…

Apparently they have “misplaced” my timesheets! According to the head office, i am not even on the payroll system.

Not impressed.

And certainly don’t work for free.

DonutUK:
Apparently they have “misplaced” my timesheets! According to the head office, i am not even on the payroll system. .

Have they told you this verbally or in writing - if verbal, get it in writing ASAP

When you decide to call it a day with that employer your last pay day will be 2 weeks pay. That is of course if you have given the boss a week,s notice of your intention to terminate your contract. Unless you gob another employee of the company , in which case it will be instant dismissal: The girl in the office, will work out how much they owe you up to the time of the gobbing, you will then be given your dosh,probably out of the petty cash box. At about the same time the police will arrive, having been called by the gaffer, and arrest you for assault. You will be taken to the local nick.You will spend an unconfortable night there.The next day you will be put up before a magistrate, who if you are lucky , and if you plead “guilty as charged”,will just fine you the total amount that the police found on your person, when they booked you in the nick. :frowning: :frowning: I hope this is helpful. It is part of the story of my life. It happened in 1974 when another driver called me a “Scouse ZB” :laughing: :laughing: PS. Having just read your last post, I think your boss should stand-by for action. :angry: :angry:

DonutUK:
Been a long time since i was paid on a weekly basis…but if you started a job and were told “it’s a week in hand” when do you expect to get your first pay?

so, if you think you might have it “arse about face”, do you think you should be paid for week 2 at the end of week 1?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sorry, but i can’t believe i was the first one to think of that :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It gets better.

Phoned Head Office again after speaking to TM who assures me that the timesheets were sent in. Wages person has gone home, won’t be able to speak to them tomorrow as its “wages days” and they don’t accept phone calls on that day.

Asked what happens if timesheets don’t turn up…apparently they will do an “estimate”!

I am going to have such a pleasant nights work tonight…really feeling motivated about going in!

well, what about ringing the ehad office and telling them that you have “misplaced” their truck until you get paid :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Don’t name names just yet but how big is the company?

Harry Monk:

how big :question: well i’d say it’s about by about (uses hands to show size) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:

Its a quite large company…probably 100+ drivers.

I smell a rat ,why not accept phone calls on wages day.?Keep checking the sits.vac.

DonutUK:

Harry Monk:

Its a quite large company…probably 100+ drivers.

They aren’t going to knock you, it is just the usual admin problems caused whenever a new money transfer arrangement is made, due to the general uselessless of anyone brain-dead enough to be able to contemplate a career spent in office work. :wink:

Cruise Control:

Harry Monk:

how big :question: well i’d say it’s about by about (uses hands to show size) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well when you see some of the agency adverts, it was a reasonable question about size.

Must have an LGV C + E license. the role will involve general haulage deliveries to customers nationwide on curtain size vehicles between 2-3 deliveries per shift.

While I am in this thread, does anyone still get paid weekly? I have been on a monthly salary for about 20 years, except now while Gordon Brown pays me fortnightly :blush:

Wheel Nut:
While I am in this thread, does anyone still get paid weekly? I have been on a monthly salary for about 20 years, except now while Gordon Brown pays me fortnightly :blush:

Me too, but I have always worked for smaller companies, I think most large fleets still pay weekly. Personally, I prefer monthly pay cos I have monthly outgoings and it makes it easier to manage.

week in hand … I though he was telling us the mrs had banned him to the spare room