week in hand

hi all,just left a job didnt give a weeks notice in.cause i was that cheesed off with it,now my last weeks wages havnt gone in bank. can they not pay this if you dont give your notice in.cheers.

they have to pay you for what you have done work wise, however they can make it hard for you to get it!

if you are gonna just jack a job wait till the money is in the bank then go :open_mouth:

Always leave a job on reasonable terms. It may bite you one day.

As said they do have to pay you the money they owe but as you’ve messed them about they may decide to do the same to you.

enginehead:
hi all,just left a job didnt give a weeks notice in.cause i was that cheesed off with it,now my last weeks wages havnt gone in bank. can they not pay this if you dont give your notice in.cheers.

No. They still have to pay you any wages due plus holiday pay. They do have the right to sue you for costs arising from you walking without giving notice which can include the cost of an agency driver for that week however they’d have to take you to court to get the money and the fact they’re suing you doesn’t mean they don’t have to pay you.

I believe they can if it is in your contract, thats why most companies ask for notice before leaving, depending on the pay structure, if your weekly paid its a weeks notice, if your monthly paid its a months notice.

truckyboy:
I believe they can if it is in your contract

No they can’t. It is contrary to the Employment Act and therefore an unenforceable term.

if your weekly paid its a weeks notice, if your monthly paid its a months notice.

No. That is the statutory minimum as outlined in the Employment Act. You can be paid weekly and have to give 3 months notice - its all about what is written in the contract.

I can understand long notice for directors, but for drivers surely a week is adequate? It’s a month where I am but having just been offered another job, a month seems unreasonable to my potential new employer.
I suppose anyone who’s stuck could feign an injury, or an illness and get away with it?

Cotswoldcrunch:
I can understand long notice for directors, but for drivers surely a week is adequate?

Not really, as apparently directors are ten a penny nowadays, it’s drivers that can’t be found! :smiley:

the maoster:

Cotswoldcrunch:
I can understand long notice for directors, but for drivers surely a week is adequate?

Not really, as apparently directors are ten a penny nowadays, it’s drivers that can’t be found! :smiley:

lol :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Has anybody ever been sued for any kind of loss incurred by the company for leaving early? When I worked on plant, it was common for a machine operator or labourer to just jack one day and start elsewhere.